Sub indices in Lucene

BKishore
Hi,

     I'm using Lucene 1.4 version. I have a requirement like, there should be a provision to store the indices based on some category. For ex: Storing all the "Computer Science" related index files in one location, "Electronics" related indexes in another location etc.. The user will give the same category along with the search string while searching. Is it possible in lucene that based on this 'category', to search only in this specific categorized index files so that, I'll get only those files relating to this category ??

Thanks in advance,
Kishore.

Re: Sub indices in Lucene

Fredrik Andersson-2-2
This is functionality you would build upon Lucene. I.e, when a document is
dropped to the indexing module, you check the category and append the
document to an appropriate index. You can then search multiple indices with
one searcher or with multiple searchers. Also, Lucene 1.4 is kinda old...
welcome to 2007 :)

On 2/14/07, BKishore <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>      I'm using Lucene 1.4 version. I have a requirement like, there should
> be a provision to store the indices based on some category. For ex:
> Storing
> all the "Computer Science" related index files in one location,
> "Electronics" related indexes in another location etc.. The user will give
> the same category along with the search string while searching. Is it
> possible in lucene that based on this 'category', to search only in this
> specific categorized index files so that, I'll get only those files
> relating
> to this category ??
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Kishore.

Lucene indexes in memory

Deepa Paranjpe
Hi all,

I want to understand how lucene searches its index -- does it load the whole
index into memory at once? Is there any way to make sure that it does so.

I want to optimize maximally on the search time required by lucene on over
~7M short documents. The queries that I deal are 6 to 7 tokens on an
average.

Your help on this will be appreciated.

-Deepa

Re: Lucene indexes in memory

Otis Gospodnetic-2
Deepa,

You probably want to ask on java-user@lucene.... list.
Lucene reads in the whole .tii index file (see the Lucene for explanations of various Lucene index files).
It doesn't read in *all* the index files, as those could be quite big.
You *can* read in your index in a RAMDirectory via FSDirectory, though, and it sounds like that is what you are after.

Otis
Simpy -- http://www.simpy.com/  -  Tag  -  Search  -  Share