Successful project based on SOLR

Marius Hanganu-3
Hi guys,

I just wanted to let you know our company has successfully launched a
new high traffic website based on a powerful CMS built on top of SOLR.

The website - http://www.hotnews.ro - serves up to 80k users per day
with an average 400K pages per day. It uses an custom hibernate-SOLR
bridge which allows transparent persistence of entities on different
SOLR servers. The CMS behind it also uses an in house developed API for
querying SOLR.

It was and will be a pleasure to use SOLR in this project. It has many
advantages that you're all probably aware of, but the most impressing
thing was its reliability. You start your SOLR server and simply forget
about it.

Once again, congratulations!
Marius Hanganu,
Director, Tremend Software Consulting
www.tremend.ro

RE: Successful project based on SOLR

Charlie Jackson
Congratulations!

> It uses an custom hibernate-SOLR
bridge which allows transparent persistence of entities on different
SOLR servers.

Any chance of this code making its way back to the SOLR community? Or,
if not, can you give me an idea how you did it? This seamless
integration of Hibernate and Solr is something I'm interested in.

-- Charlie

Director, Tremend Software Consulting
www.tremend.ro

Re: Successful project based on SOLR

Jonathan Leibiusky
What's the difference with that and Hibernate
Search<http://www.hibernate.org/410.html>
?

On Dec 20, 2007 2:09 PM, Charlie Jackson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Congratulations!
>
> > It uses an custom hibernate-SOLR
> bridge which allows transparent persistence of entities on different
> SOLR servers.
>
> Any chance of this code making its way back to the SOLR community? Or,
> if not, can you give me an idea how you did it? This seamless
> integration of Hibernate and Solr is something I'm interested in.
>
> -- Charlie

That's the first I've seen of Hibernate Search. Looks interesting, but I
think it's a little different than what I was looking for. Since it
indexes into Lucene, it's close, but I wouldn't have a bunch of my
favorite Solr features, such as remote indexing and field-level analysis
at index and query time.

Ultimately, what I'd like is something like Hibernate Search or like
Compass GPS (http://www.opensymphony.com/compass/content/about.html) but
leveraging Solr's features. That ability to transition back and forth
between object and index record would be really elegant but I
<b>need</b> those extras that Solr brings to a Lucene index.

- Charlie

wrote:

> Congratulations!
>
> > It uses an custom hibernate-SOLR
> bridge which allows transparent persistence of entities on different
> SOLR servers.
>
> Any chance of this code making its way back to the SOLR community? Or,
> if not, can you give me an idea how you did it? This seamless
> integration of Hibernate and Solr is something I'm interested in.
>
> -- Charlie

It could be really nice to have Solr support for Hibernate Search... good
project to work on ;)
I'll start digging into it.

On Dec 20, 2007 5:28 PM, Charlie Jackson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's the first I've seen of Hibernate Search. Looks interesting, but I
> think it's a little different than what I was looking for. Since it
> indexes into Lucene, it's close, but I wouldn't have a bunch of my
> favorite Solr features, such as remote indexing and field-level analysis
> at index and query time.
>
> Ultimately, what I'd like is something like Hibernate Search or like
> Compass GPS (http://www.opensymphony.com/compass/content/about.html) but
> leveraging Solr's features. That ability to transition back and forth
> between object and index record would be really elegant but I
> <b>need</b> those extras that Solr brings to a Lucene index.
>
> - Charlie

Ryan McKinley

> Ultimately, what I'd like is something like Hibernate Search or like
> Compass GPS (http://www.opensymphony.com/compass/content/about.html) but
> leveraging Solr's features. That ability to transition back and forth
> between object and index record would be really elegant but I
> <b>need</b> those extras that Solr brings to a Lucene index.

Here is an old verison of solrj that connects to Hibernate similar to
Compass GPS...

http://solrstuff.org/svn/solrj-hibernate/

It is out of date and references some classes that did not make it into
the official solrj release, but it is worth a look.

ryan

RE: Successful project based on SOLR

Charlie Jackson
Yeah I remember seeing that at one point when I was first looking at the
solrj client. I had plans to build on it but I got pulled away on
something else. Maybe it's time to take another look and see what I can
do with it. As Jonathan said, it's a good project to work on.