Switching AngularUI to default

Malcolm Upayavira Holmes
The Angular UI for Solr is now feature complete, and people are asking
that it be made the default. There are, undoubtedly, still bugs to be
found in it.

The new UI will have new features (e.g. a collections tab) so will
hopefully be worth people using!

Here's two options, as I see it, for 5.4:

1. Make it default, with a link back to the original UI in case of bugs
2. Add a link to the new UI to the current one (should have done that
ages ago) in order to gather feedback before making it default

Screenshots of links are here:

Thoughts?

Upayavira

Re: Switching AngularUI to default

Erick Erickson
+1 to adding a tint to the old UI, or the new one for that matter.

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 11:16 AM, Upayavira <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As shown on SOLR-7858, I've added links to the top right, but the idea of
> adding a distinctive grey tint to the whole page on the old UI is an
> intersting idea!
>
> Upayavira

> On Tue, Sep 15, 2015, at 06:54 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> With the old UI, I suggest doing something to the CSS to make it more
> obvious you’re using the old UI… like changing the background color or maybe
> instead of the CSS insert a label somewhere.  It’s very confusing to switch
> and forget which one you’re using!
>
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 5:11 AM Stefan Matheis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'd go with (1); we took the same route for the current ui. otherwise people
> are still using the current one, until it's not available anymore - when
> they could have used the angular one already quite a while. at least that's
> my experience with that kind of changes :)
>
> -Stefan
>

> On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 10:59 AM, Upayavira wrote:
>

> The Angular UI for Solr is now feature complete, and people are asking
> that it be made the default. There are, undoubtedly, still bugs to be
> found in it.
>
> The new UI will have new features (e.g. a collections tab) so will
> hopefully be worth people using!
>
> Here's two options, as I see it, for 5.4:
>
> 1. Make it default, with a link back to the original UI in case of bugs
> 2. Add a link to the new UI to the current one (should have done that
> ages ago) in order to gather feedback before making it default
>
> Screenshots of links are here:
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Upayavira

> LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley | Book:

Re: Switching AngularUI to default

Shawn Heisey-2
On 9/16/2015 9:22 AM, Erick Erickson wrote:
> +1 to adding a tint to the old UI, or the new one for that matter.

One of the questions that I will sometimes ask users, particularly on
IRC where the response usually is fast, is what color the admin UI
background is.  If it's white, they're on a recent version ... if it's
yellow, I know they're on 1.x or 3.x.

Having a distinctive tint for the new admin UI would be very good.  It
should not be a very intense color.

Thanks,
Shawn