Taking Solr to production with docker

Aurélien MAZOYER
Hi Solr community,

I can find many blog posts on how to deploy Solr with docker but I am
wondering if Solr/Docker is really ready for production.
Has anybody ever ran Solr in production with Docker?

Thank you for your feedback,

Aurélien

Re: Taking Solr to production with docker

Malcolm Upayavira Holmes

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015, at 02:00 PM, [hidden email]
wrote:
> Hi Solr community,
>
> I can find many blog posts on how to deploy Solr with docker but I am
> wondering if Solr/Docker is really ready for production.
> Has anybody ever ran Solr in production with Docker?

Hi Aurelien,

I'm wondering if there's anything specific that is needed to run Solr
inside Docker? Is there something you have in mind?

Upayavira

Re: Taking Solr to production with docker

Doug Turnbull
Our test Solr and Elasticsearch instances for Quepid(http://quepid.com) are
now hosted on docker (specifically kubernetes)

It's worked pretty well. I'd suggest if you're curious to speak to my
devops focussed colleague Chris Bradford that has a great deal of
experience here. I haven't encountered any issues that would lead me to
describe it as "not ready for production"

Doug

--
*Doug Turnbull **| *Search Relevance Consultant | OpenSource Connections
<http://opensourceconnections.com>, LLC | 240.476.9983
Author: Relevant Search <http://manning.com/turnbull>
This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be
Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless
of whether attachments are marked as such.

Re: Taking Solr to production with docker

Christopher Bradford
Hi Doug,

The Dockerfiles we use have been pushed up to a GitHub repo
https://github.com/o19s/solr-docker. I'm happy to answer any questions
about them.

~Chris

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 8:47 AM Doug Turnbull <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Our test Solr and Elasticsearch instances for Quepid(http://quepid.com) are
> now hosted on docker (specifically kubernetes)
>
> It's worked pretty well. I'd suggest if you're curious to speak to my
> devops focussed colleague Chris Bradford that has a great deal of
> experience here. I haven't encountered any issues that would lead me to
> describe it as "not ready for production"
>
> Doug
>

> On Wednesday, September 23, 2015, Upayavira <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Sep 23, 2015, at 02:00 PM, [hidden email]
>> wrote:
>> > Hi Solr community,
>> >
>> > I can find many blog posts on how to deploy Solr with docker but I am
>> > wondering if Solr/Docker is really ready for production.
>> > Has anybody ever ran Solr in production with Docker?
>>
>> Hi Aurelien,
>>
>> I'm wondering if there's anything specific that is needed to run Solr
>> inside Docker? Is there something you have in mind?
>>
>> Upayavira
>>

> --
> *Doug Turnbull **| *Search Relevance Consultant | OpenSource Connections
> <http://opensourceconnections.com>, LLC | 240.476.9983
> Author: Relevant Search <http://manning.com/turnbull>
> This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be
> Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless
> of whether attachments are marked as such.

Re: Taking Solr to production with docker

Vincenzo D'Amore
Hi Doug,

I have ported solrcloud to docker too, I hope you can found something
interesting here:

https://github.com/freedev/solrcloud-zookeeper-docker

This project runs an zookeeper ensemble and a sorlcloud cluster within many
containers.

Now, in my spare time, I'm trying to port this project to kubernetes, I
would like to split all these containers to many nodes.

Cheers,
Vincenzo

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 6:15 PM, Christopher Bradford <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Doug,
>
> The Dockerfiles we use have been pushed up to a GitHub repo
> https://github.com/o19s/solr-docker. I'm happy to answer any questions
> about them.
>
> ~Chris
>
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 8:47 AM Doug Turnbull <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Our test Solr and Elasticsearch instances for Quepid(http://quepid.com)
> are
> > now hosted on docker (specifically kubernetes)
> >
> > It's worked pretty well. I'd suggest if you're curious to speak to my
> > devops focussed colleague Chris Bradford that has a great deal of
> > experience here. I haven't encountered any issues that would lead me to
> > describe it as "not ready for production"
> >
> > Doug
> >

> > On Wednesday, September 23, 2015, Upayavira <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> Hi Aurelien,
> >>
> >> I'm wondering if there's anything specific that is needed to run Solr
> >> inside Docker? Is there something you have in mind?
> >>
> >> Upayavira
> >>

> > --
> > *Doug Turnbull **| *Search Relevance Consultant | OpenSource Connections
> > <http://opensourceconnections.com>, LLC | 240.476.9983
> > Author: Relevant Search <http://manning.com/turnbull>
> > This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be
> > Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless
> > of whether attachments are marked as such.

--
Vincenzo D'Amore
email: [hidden email]
skype: free.dev
mobile: +39 349 8513251

Re: Taking Solr to production with docker

Doug Turnbull
Nice! starred. We'll keep that in mind should we go to docker beyond one
instance.

Cheers
-Doug

Author: Relevant Search <http://manning.com/turnbull>
This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be
Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless
of whether attachments are marked as such.

Re: Taking Solr to production with docker

Epo Jemba
Hi Doug,

thank you for your git repo. I am planning a kubernetes + solr integration
as well,
can you tell us how do you organize your pods and services (or else)
regarding zookeeper
management. How do you organize your pods/services/etc along with solr
instances, ZK nodes etc ..

Thanks in advance

Epo J.

[hidden email]>:

> Hi Doug,
>
> The Dockerfiles we use have been pushed up to a GitHub repo
> https://github.com/o19s/solr-docker. I'm happy to answer any questions
> about them.
>
> ~Chris
>
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 8:47 AM Doug Turnbull <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Our test Solr and Elasticsearch instances for Quepid(http://quepid.com)
> are
> > now hosted on docker (specifically kubernetes)
> >
> > It's worked pretty well. I'd suggest if you're curious to speak to my
> > devops focussed colleague Chris Bradford that has a great deal of
> > experience here. I haven't encountered any issues that would lead me to
> > describe it as "not ready for production"
> >
> > Doug
> >

> > On Wednesday, September 23, 2015, Upayavira <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> Hi Aurelien,
> >>
> >> I'm wondering if there's anything specific that is needed to run Solr
> >> inside Docker? Is there something you have in mind?
> >>
> >> Upayavira
> >>

> > --
> > *Doug Turnbull **| *Search Relevance Consultant | OpenSource Connections
> > <http://opensourceconnections.com>, LLC | 240.476.9983
> > Author: Relevant Search <http://manning.com/turnbull>
> > This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be
> > Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless
> > of whether attachments are marked as such.

Re: Taking Solr to production with docker

Joe Lawson
Hi Epo,

We aren't using Zookeeper or the SolrCloud stuff on docker yet but it looks
like Vincenzo was using three ZK containers, each with a different port.

Sincerely,

Joe Lawson

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 1:28 PM, Epo Jemba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Doug,
>
> thank you for your git repo. I am planning a kubernetes + solr integration
> as well,
> can you tell us how do you organize your pods and services (or else)
> regarding zookeeper
> management. How do you organize your pods/services/etc along with solr
> instances, ZK nodes etc ..
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Epo J.

> [hidden email]>:
>
> > Hi Doug,
> >
> > The Dockerfiles we use have been pushed up to a GitHub repo
> > https://github.com/o19s/solr-docker. I'm happy to answer any questions
> > about them.
> >
> > ~Chris
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 8:47 AM Doug Turnbull <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Our test Solr and Elasticsearch instances for Quepid(http://quepid.com
> )
> > are
> > > now hosted on docker (specifically kubernetes)
> > >
> > > It's worked pretty well. I'd suggest if you're curious to speak to my
> > > devops focussed colleague Chris Bradford that has a great deal of
> > > experience here. I haven't encountered any issues that would lead me to
> > > describe it as "not ready for production"
> > >
> > > Doug

> am

> > > --
> > > *Doug Turnbull **| *Search Relevance Consultant | OpenSource
> Connections
> > > <http://opensourceconnections.com>, LLC | 240.476.9983
> > > Author: Relevant Search <http://manning.com/turnbull>
> > > This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to
> be
> > > Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless
> > > of whether attachments are marked as such.

Re: Taking Solr to production with docker

Ugo Matrangolo

just curious: what you get by running Solr into a Docker container ?

Best
Ugo

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 5:39 PM, Vincenzo D'Amore <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Doug,
>
> I have ported solrcloud to docker too, I hope you can found something
> interesting here:
>
> https://github.com/freedev/solrcloud-zookeeper-docker
>
> This project runs an zookeeper ensemble and a sorlcloud cluster within many
> containers.
>
> Now, in my spare time, I'm trying to port this project to kubernetes, I
> would like to split all these containers to many nodes.
>
> Cheers,
> Vincenzo
>

> On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 6:15 PM, Christopher Bradford <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Doug,
> >
> > The Dockerfiles we use have been pushed up to a GitHub repo
> > https://github.com/o19s/solr-docker. I'm happy to answer any questions
> > about them.
> >
> > ~Chris
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 8:47 AM Doug Turnbull <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Our test Solr and Elasticsearch instances for Quepid(http://quepid.com
> )
> > are
> > > now hosted on docker (specifically kubernetes)
> > >
> > > It's worked pretty well. I'd suggest if you're curious to speak to my
> > > devops focussed colleague Chris Bradford that has a great deal of
> > > experience here. I haven't encountered any issues that would lead me to
> > > describe it as "not ready for production"
> > >
> > > Doug

> am

> > > --
> > > *Doug Turnbull **| *Search Relevance Consultant | OpenSource
> Connections
> > > <http://opensourceconnections.com>, LLC | 240.476.9983
> > > Author: Relevant Search <http://manning.com/turnbull>
> > > This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to
> be
> > > Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless
> > > of whether attachments are marked as such.
> > >

> --
> Vincenzo D'Amore
> email: [hidden email]
> skype: free.dev
> mobile: +39 349 8513251

Re: Taking Solr to production with docker

Joe Lawson
we get to run commands like, docker run solr and have solr working!

containers make new application deployments a breeze.

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 4:35 PM, Ugo Matrangolo <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just curious: what you get by running Solr into a Docker container ?
>
> Best
> Ugo
>
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 5:39 PM, Vincenzo D'Amore <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Doug,
> >
> > I have ported solrcloud to docker too, I hope you can found something
> > interesting here:
> >
> > https://github.com/freedev/solrcloud-zookeeper-docker
> >
> > This project runs an zookeeper ensemble and a sorlcloud cluster within
> many
> > containers.
> >
> > Now, in my spare time, I'm trying to port this project to kubernetes, I
> > would like to split all these containers to many nodes.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Vincenzo
> >

> > On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 6:15 PM, Christopher Bradford <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Doug,
> > >
> > > The Dockerfiles we use have been pushed up to a GitHub repo
> > > https://github.com/o19s/solr-docker. I'm happy to answer any questions
> > > about them.
> > >
> > > ~Chris

> http://quepid.com
> > )
> > > are

> > am

> Solr

> > Connections
> > be
> > > >

> > --
> > Vincenzo D'Amore
> > email: [hidden email]
> > skype: free.dev
> > mobile: +39 349 8513251

Re: Taking Solr to production with docker

Epo Jemba
Hi Ugo,

I do not yet use Solr in docker, but for my case docker is not enough here,
used in conjunction with kubernetes what I'am reaching is elasticity,
I mean, adding removing nodes and leave scaling and fault tolerancy to
kubernetes oob.
All you have to do is well defined your blueprint, templates.

Putting Solr in docker, just for the sake of putting Solr in docker was not
a goal.

> just curious: what you get by running Solr into a Docker container ?
>
> Best
> Ugo
>
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 5:39 PM, Vincenzo D'Amore <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Doug,
> >
> > I have ported solrcloud to docker too, I hope you can found something
> > interesting here:
> >
> > https://github.com/freedev/solrcloud-zookeeper-docker
> >
> > This project runs an zookeeper ensemble and a sorlcloud cluster within
> many
> > containers.
> >
> > Now, in my spare time, I'm trying to port this project to kubernetes, I
> > would like to split all these containers to many nodes.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Vincenzo
> >

> > On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 6:15 PM, Christopher Bradford <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Doug,
> > >
> > > The Dockerfiles we use have been pushed up to a GitHub repo
> > > https://github.com/o19s/solr-docker. I'm happy to answer any questions
> > > about them.
> > >
> > > ~Chris

> http://quepid.com
> > )
> > > are

> > am

> Solr

> > Connections
> > be
> > > >

> > --
> > Vincenzo D'Amore
> > email: [hidden email]
> > skype: free.dev
> > mobile: +39 349 8513251

Re: Taking Solr to production with docker

Ugo Matrangolo

still don't get it :)

With Solr 5 it auto-installs itself as a supervised service and works
really nice in an AWS CloudFormation template.

Best
Ugo

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 10:01 PM, Joe Lawson <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> we get to run commands like, docker run solr and have solr working!
>
> containers make new application deployments a breeze.
>
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 4:35 PM, Ugo Matrangolo <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > just curious: what you get by running Solr into a Docker container ?
> >
> > Best
> > Ugo
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 5:39 PM, Vincenzo D'Amore <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Doug,
> > >
> > > I have ported solrcloud to docker too, I hope you can found something
> > > interesting here:
> > >
> > > https://github.com/freedev/solrcloud-zookeeper-docker
> > >
> > > This project runs an zookeeper ensemble and a sorlcloud cluster within
> > many
> > > containers.
> > >
> > > Now, in my spare time, I'm trying to port this project to kubernetes, I
> > > would like to split all these containers to many nodes.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Vincenzo

> questions

> > http://quepid.com
> > > )

> my
> me

> [hidden email]

> but I
> > > am

> > Solr

> > > Connections
> > > be
> > > > >

> > > --
> > > Vincenzo D'Amore
> > > email: [hidden email]
> > > skype: free.dev
> > > mobile: +39 349 8513251

Re: Taking Solr to production with docker

Joe Lawson
I think this sums up "what is docker":
https://youtu.be/F44GtxHO2MI
On Sep 24, 2015 4:37 AM, "Ugo Matrangolo" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> still don't get it :)
>
> With Solr 5 it auto-installs itself as a supervised service and works
> really nice in an AWS CloudFormation template.
>
> Best
> Ugo
>

> On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 10:01 PM, Joe Lawson <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > we get to run commands like, docker run solr and have solr working!
> >
> > containers make new application deployments a breeze.
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 4:35 PM, Ugo Matrangolo <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > just curious: what you get by running Solr into a Docker container ?
> > >
> > > Best
> > > Ugo

> within
> > > many

> kubernetes, I

> > questions

> > > http://quepid.com

> > my
> > me

> > [hidden email]

> > but I

> > > Solr

> considered
> regardless

Re: Taking Solr to production with docker

Epo Jemba
Ugo

Don't get me wrong I know Solr is already scaling by itself ,
But in some cases, Solr in order to be fully usable has to be
 integrated/extended with a bunch of other apps : Your own,
load-balancers, frontends , etc
In order ALL of those work together the right way, you come up
with a higher solution, that will organize stuff altogether,
 in my case kubernetes  (it could have been others rancher.io, tectonic,
panama, etc )

> still don't get it :)
>
> With Solr 5 it auto-installs itself as a supervised service and works
> really nice in an AWS CloudFormation template.
>
> Best
> Ugo
>

> On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 10:01 PM, Joe Lawson <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > we get to run commands like, docker run solr and have solr working!
> >
> > containers make new application deployments a breeze.
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 4:35 PM, Ugo Matrangolo <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > just curious: what you get by running Solr into a Docker container ?
> > >
> > > Best
> > > Ugo

> within
> > > many

> kubernetes, I

> > questions

> > > http://quepid.com

> > my
> > me

> > [hidden email]

> > but I

> > > Solr

> considered
> regardless

Re: Taking Solr to production with docker

Martijn Koster

> On 23 Sep 2015, at 15:13, Upayavira <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm wondering if there's anything specific that is needed to run Solr
> inside Docker? Is there something you have in mind?

There isn't really. See https://hub.docker.com/r/makuk66/docker-solr/ <https://hub.docker.com/r/makuk66/docker-solr/> for an example.

I'm working on turning that into an official Docker Hub image (https://github.com/docker-solr/docker-solr <https://github.com/docker-solr/docker-solr>), so that you will be able to just "docker run solr" and have Solr up and running. That is currently under review by Docker Inc on https://github.com/docker-library/official-images/pull/107 <https://github.com/docker-library/official-images/pull/107>. If you add a +1 there it might speed the process up.

-- Martijn