Tika Logo Proposals

Yongqian Li
I am working on designing the Tika logo via the Google Highly Open
Participation Contest. I have put up several drafts here:
http://code.google.com/p/google-highly-open-participation-asf/issues/detail?id=1&colspec=ID%20Status%20Owner%20ClaimedBy%20SummaryPlease
take a look at them and tell me what you think.

http://code.google.com/p/google-highly-open-participation-asf/issues/detail?id=1&colspec=ID%20Status%20Owner%20ClaimedBy%20SummaryPlease
take a look at them and tell me what you think.

Re: Tika Logo Proposals

chrismattmann
Hi Yongqian,

 Thanks for your hard work so far. To me, I like logo #1 because it helps to
foster the "extraction" part of Tika. To me, #2 looks similar to our
existing Tika logo (http://incubator.apache.org/tika/), the one that we want
to spruce up.

 So, my +1 to do more work on #1.

Thanks!

Cheers,
  Chris

On 12/4/07 5:04 PM, "Yongqian Li" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am working on designing the Tika logo via the Google Highly Open
> Participation Contest. I have put up several drafts here:
> http://code.google.com/p/google-highly-open-participation-asf/issues/detail?id
> =1&colspec=ID%20Status%20Owner%20ClaimedBy%20SummaryPlease
> take a look at them and tell me what you think.

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
[hidden email]
Cognizant Development Engineer
Early Detection Research Network Project
Jet Propulsion Laboratory            Pasadena, CA
Office: 171-266B                     Mailstop:  171-246

Disclaimer:  The opinions presented within are my own and do not reflect

Re: Tika Logo Proposals

Bertrand Delacretaz-2
Hi Yongqian,

Thanks for your work!

On Dec 5, 2007 2:40 AM, Chris Mattmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  ...So, my +1 to do more work on #1....

As I wrote in the issue tracker, I was initially going for #2, but I
see Chris's point.

What bugs me in #1 (tika logo draft #1.svg.eps) is that the arrow has
too much visual impact, as compared to the "Tika" name which should be
the important part. Also, it's not the feather that's transformed into
Tika, it's binary documents that are "transformed" into metadata.

If you can take these comments into account and modify the logo
accordingly, I'm ok for going further with #1.

-Bertrand

Re: Tika Logo Proposals

Yongqian Li

On 12/5/07, Bertrand Delacretaz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Yongqian,

Thanks for your work!

On Dec 5, 2007 2:40 AM, Chris Mattmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  ...So, my +1 to do more work on #1....

As I wrote in the issue tracker, I was initially going for #2, but I
see Chris's point.

What bugs me in #1 (tika logo draft #1.svg.eps) is that the arrow has
too much visual impact, as compared to the "Tika" name which should be
the important part. Also, it's not the feather that's transformed into
Tika, it's binary documents that are "transformed" into metadata.

If you can take these comments into account and modify the logo
accordingly, I'm ok for going further with #1.

-Bertrand

Re: Tika Logo Proposals

Bertrand Delacretaz-2
Hi,

Yongqian has posted a new draft at
http://code.google.com/p/google-highly-open-participation-asf/issues/detail?id=1
(tika logo draft #5.svg.eps), here are my comments:

I like the binary block + arrow setup very much!

Maybe the Tika word could be larger, and overlap the other elements a
bit, I think that might make the logo more alive.

The feather looks like it's here because it has to ;-)  Not sure what
to suggest, maybe putting it behind the Tika word? Or a small colored
feather inside the binary block?

-Bertrand

-Bertrand

Re: Tika Logo Proposals

Bertrand Delacretaz-2
On Dec 7, 2007 11:45 PM, Yongqian Li <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback. Here are two newer versions.

The new drafts can be found attached to
http://code.google.com/p/google-highly-open-participation-asf/issues/detail?id=1
in comment 26.

As I said there, #7 looks funny, the name is too hard to read IMO. But
thanks for trying to think out of the box!

To me, #6 looks much better than the previous drafts, and you have
taken my comments into account nicely.

I still have some wishes, tough, about #6:

It's hard to see the feather maybe re-adding some color to it would
help? Or making the binary block softer in the area where the feather
overlaps it?

The gap between the "a" of Tika and the closing tag looks too wide to me.

The opening a closing tags might benefit from being in a softer shade
of gray, to give more importance to the word "Tika".

The "Tika" font looks a bit too, maybe playing with the horizontal bar
of the T would help? Extending it further to the right maybe?

Yongqian, let us know if you think this is getting out of scope for
GHOP, or if you agree to work a bit more on refining the logo. I like
the current idea, but I think it needs some polishing to be more
balanced and punchy.

What do others think?

-Bertrand

Re: Tika Logo Proposals

Yongqian Li
I have been busy the last few days, so I didn't have time to reply until now. I have made that changes you have requested. I cannot find a colored version of the Apache logo, however. If you can send that to me, I will include it. And yes, I do this this is getting a bit out of scope for GHOP. I can still work on refining it but I doubt that my limited skills would be enough to bring the design to a satisfactory state.

On 12/8/07, Bertrand Delacretaz <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Dec 7, 2007 11:45 PM, Yongqian Li <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback. Here are two newer versions.

The new drafts can be found attached to
in comment 26.

As I said there, #7 looks funny, the name is too hard to read IMO. But
thanks for trying to think out of the box!

To me, #6 looks much better than the previous drafts, and you have
taken my comments into account nicely.

I still have some wishes, tough, about #6:

It's hard to see the feather maybe re-adding some color to it would
help? Or making the binary block softer in the area where the feather
overlaps it?

The gap between the "a" of Tika and the closing tag looks too wide to me.

The opening a closing tags might benefit from being in a softer shade
of gray, to give more importance to the word "Tika".

The "Tika" font looks a bit too, maybe playing with the horizontal bar
of the T would help? Extending it further to the right maybe?

Yongqian, let us know if you think this is getting out of scope for
GHOP, or if you agree to work a bit more on refining the logo. I like
the current idea, but I think it needs some polishing to be more
balanced and punchy.

What do others think?

-Bertrand

tika logo draft #8.svg (428K) Download Attachment

Re: Tika Logo Proposals

Bertrand Delacretaz-2
Hi Yongqian,

On Dec 10, 2007 11:33 PM, Yongqian Li <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ...I have made that changes you have requested. I cannot find a colored
> version of the Apache logo, however...

You can get an EPS version of the Apache logo at
http://people.apache.org/~bdelacretaz/files/asf_logo_1999.eps, which
includes the feather in color.

Please upload your proposals in EPS format (to the issue tracker is
better) as you did before, for some reason I cannot read your SVG
properly.

-Bertrand

Re: Tika Logo Proposals

Yongqian Li
I use Inkscape, which cannot open eps files. I converted the eps file you
gave me with the command

pstoedit -f plot-svg Z:\asf_logo_1999.eps Z:\asf_logo_1999.svg

But asf_logo_1999.svg only had the gray scale version of the logo.

On 12/10/07, Bertrand Delacretaz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Yongqian,
>

> On Dec 10, 2007 11:33 PM, Yongqian Li <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > ...I have made that changes you have requested. I cannot find a colored
> > version of the Apache logo, however...
>
> You can get an EPS version of the Apache logo at
> http://people.apache.org/~bdelacretaz/files/asf_logo_1999.eps, which
> includes the feather in color.
>
> Please upload your proposals in EPS format (to the issue tracker is
> better) as you did before, for some reason I cannot read your SVG
> properly.
>
> -Bertrand

Re: Tika Logo Proposals

Bertrand Delacretaz-2
Hi,

> ...asf_logo_1999.svg only had the gray scale version of the logo....

I have uploaded a PDF version at
http://people.apache.org/~bdelacretaz/files/asf_logo_1999.pdf, does
that help?

I like the tika logo draft #8.svg.eps [1], if you could just make the
feather more visible (and maybe make a variant without it, if you
don't find a good way of integrating it) I think we could declare the
task completed.

-Bertrand

[1] http://code.google.com/p/google-highly-open-participation-asf/issues/detail?id=1#c40

Re: Tika Logo Proposals

Jeremias Maerki-2
If you just need the feather in SVG format:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/documentation/poster/svg/asf-logo.svg

Bertrand, why don't you download a copy of Inkscape? It's a really cool
and powerful SVG editor. http://www.inkscape.org/download/?lang=en

On 11.12.2007 09:12:23 Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > ...asf_logo_1999.svg only had the gray scale version of the logo....
>
> I have uploaded a PDF version at
> http://people.apache.org/~bdelacretaz/files/asf_logo_1999.pdf, does
> that help?
>
> I like the tika logo draft #8.svg.eps [1], if you could just make the
> feather more visible (and maybe make a variant without it, if you
> don't find a good way of integrating it) I think we could declare the
> task completed.
>
> -Bertrand
>
> [1] http://code.google.com/p/google-highly-open-participation-asf/issues/detail?id=1#c40

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Tika Logo Proposals

Bertrand Delacretaz-2
On Dec 11, 2007 9:23 AM, Jeremias Maerki <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ...Bertrand, why don't you download a copy of Inkscape? It's a really cool
> and powerful SVG editor. http://www.inkscape.org/download/?lang=en...

You're totally right...I never happened to be near my macosx install
DVD when I wanted to try it before (the DVD is needed to install X11),
but now it was handy so I have downloaded and installed Inkscape and
it looks good!

-Bertrand

Re: Tika Logo Proposals

Jukka Zitting

Could you also use "Apache Tika" as the project name instead of just
"Tika", or at least include "Apache" somewhere in the logo?

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Tika Logo Proposals

Bertrand Delacretaz-2
On Dec 11, 2007 9:12 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ...if you could just make the
> feather more visible (and maybe make a variant without it, if you
> don't find a good way of integrating it) I think we could declare the
> task completed....

Tika people, Yongqian has uploaded three new proposals (under comment
46 of the GHOP issue tracker, http://tinyurl.com/2xmsn2).

I think the tika logo draft #9.svg.eps is good enough to declare the
task completed, but I'll wait a bit before doing that, comments are
welcome.

That doesn't mean that we have to use the logo as is, that's a
separate discussion.

-Bertrand

Re: Tika Logo Proposals

Bertrand Delacretaz-2
On Dec 18, 2007 11:45 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ...Tika people, Yongqian has uploaded three new proposals (under comment
> 46 of the GHOP issue tracker, http://tinyurl.com/2xmsn2)....

FYI, I have now asked [1] Yongqian to attach the draft #9 logo to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-108, so that we can use it
if we want.