Tika committers and PMC interaction (Was: Moving the web site)

Tika committers and PMC interaction (Was: Moving the web site)

Jukka Zitting
Hi,

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 9:52 PM, Niall Pemberton
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Since getting my commit access to Tika, I don't believe I've ever used
> it - so probably best to remove me.

Done. I've marked you as emeritus and dropped you from the
svn-authorization list for Tika. Thanks for your contributions
earlier! Just ping us if you ever feel like scratching some other itch
with Tika.

I also removed Bertrand and Doug from the list, as their tasks as
incubation mentors have ended now that we've graduated. Big thanks to
both! Feel free to stick around though. :-)

Also my dual mentor/committer role is at an end. From now on I'm just
a normal committer.

This leaves us with the following Tika committers:

    Rida Benjelloun
    Keith Bennett
    Mark Harwood
    Chris A. Mattmann
    Dave Meikle
    Sami Siren
    Jukka Zitting

As we complete the transition from the Incubator to Lucene the
ultimate control over the committership and releases in Tika moves to
the Lucene PMC.

Mark and Sami are members of the PMC and a few other members are also
on this list, so the interaction with the PMC should be easy. However,
in practice: How does a Lucene subproject interact with the PMC in
matters like board reports, committership changes, and release votes?

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Tika committers and PMC interaction (Was: Moving the web site)

Bertrand Delacretaz-2
On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 2:04 AM, Jukka Zitting <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ...I also removed Bertrand and Doug from the list, as their tasks as
> incubation mentors have ended now that we've graduated. Big thanks to
> both! Feel free to stick around though. :-)...

You're welcome, and I will probably stick around!
-Bertrand

Re: Tika committers and PMC interaction (Was: Moving the web site)

Grant Ingersoll-2

On Nov 16, 2008, at 8:04 PM, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> As we complete the transition from the Incubator to Lucene the
> ultimate control over the committership and releases in Tika moves to
> the Lucene PMC.
>
> Mark and Sami are members of the PMC and a few other members are also
> on this list, so the interaction with the PMC should be easy. However,
> in practice: How does a Lucene subproject interact with the PMC in
> matters like board reports, committership changes, and release votes?

We're pretty laid back and trust the subs, but here's some general
guidelines:

1. We try to have at least 1 committer from every project on the PMC.
Come board report time, I nag each sub (on the PMC) to write their
part (our reports are checked into SVN under the Member PMC area) and
then submit it.  If I know enough of what's going on, I'll write up
the draft too.

2. For committership changes, they either come internally from the PMC
or sometimes the committers on a sub will send a nomination to [hidden email]
.  We more or less follow http://cwiki.apache.org/MAHOUT/howtobecomeacommitter.html
  which can be summarized as:  1) be respectful, 2) 3-4 good,
significant patches that show a good knowledge of the system, 3) stick
around and be active and helpful.

3. For releases, just cc [hidden email] w/ the [VOTE] thread (it will
get moderated through) if you don't feel there are enough PMC members
watching the list.  We generally do release candidates first and then
call the vote.  I'd suggest for this first Lucene release, that Tika
CC's private@, after that, I'd say you only need to do it if you don't
get 3 PMC votes on tika-dev@.

At any rate, we're always open to suggestions, too, but this has
worked pretty well for us so far.

-Grant