Tomcat6?

Jörg Kiegeland
In the Solr wiki, there is not described how to install Solr on Tomcat
6, and I not managed it myself :(
In the chapter "Configuring Solr Home with JNDI" there is mentioned the
directory $CATALINA_HOME/conf/Catalina/localhost , which not exists with
TOMCAT 6.

Alternatively I tried the folder $CATALINA_HOME/work/Catalina/localhost,
but with no success.. (I can query the top level page, but the "Solr
Admin" link then not works).

Can anybody help?

--
Dipl.-Inf. Jörg Kiegeland
ikv++ technologies ag

Re: Tomcat6?

Matthew Runo
In context.xml, I added..

<Environment name="/solr/home" value="/Users/mruno/solr-src/example/
solr" type="java.lang.String" />

I think that's all I did to get it working in Tocmat 6.

--Matthew Runo

On Dec 3, 2007, at 7:58 AM, Jörg Kiegeland wrote:

> In the Solr wiki, there is not described how to install Solr on
> Tomcat 6, and I not managed it myself :(
> In the chapter "Configuring Solr Home with JNDI" there is mentioned
> the directory $CATALINA_HOME/conf/Catalina/localhost , which not
> exists with TOMCAT 6.
>
> Alternatively I tried the folder $CATALINA_HOME/work/Catalina/
> localhost, but with no success.. (I can query the top level page,
> but the "Solr Admin" link then not works).
>
> Can anybody help?
>
> --
> Dipl.-Inf. Jörg Kiegeland
> ikv++ technologies ag
> Bernburger Strasse 24-25, D-10963 Berlin
> e-mail: [hidden email], web: http://www.ikv.de
> phone: +49 30 34 80 77 18, fax: +49 30 34 80 78 0
> Handelsregister HRB 81096; Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg
> board of  directors: Dr. Olaf Kath (CEO); Dr. Marc Born (CTO)
> supervising board: Prof. Dr. Bernd Mahr (chairman)

RE: Tomcat6?

Charlie Jackson
$CALINA_HOME/conf/Catalina/localhost doesn't exist by default, but you can create it and it will work exactly the same way it did in Tomcat 5. It's not created by default because its not needed by the manager webapp anymore.

<Environment name="/solr/home" value="/Users/mruno/solr-src/example/
solr" type="java.lang.String" />

I think that's all I did to get it working in Tocmat 6.

--Matthew Runo

On Dec 3, 2007, at 7:58 AM, Jörg Kiegeland wrote:

> In the Solr wiki, there is not described how to install Solr on
> Tomcat 6, and I not managed it myself :(
> In the chapter "Configuring Solr Home with JNDI" there is mentioned
> the directory $CATALINA_HOME/conf/Catalina/localhost , which not
> exists with TOMCAT 6.
>
> Alternatively I tried the folder $CATALINA_HOME/work/Catalina/
> localhost, but with no success.. (I can query the top level page,
> but the "Solr Admin" link then not works).
>
> Can anybody help?
>
> --
> Dipl.-Inf. Jörg Kiegeland
> ikv++ technologies ag
> Bernburger Strasse 24-25, D-10963 Berlin
> e-mail: [hidden email], web: http://www.ikv.de
> phone: +49 30 34 80 77 18, fax: +49 30 34 80 78 0
> Handelsregister HRB 81096; Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg
> board of  directors: Dr. Olaf Kath (CEO); Dr. Marc Born (CTO)
> supervising board: Prof. Dr. Bernd Mahr (chairman)

Tomcat6 env-entry

Gary Harris-2
It works excellently in Tomcat 6. The toughest thing I had to deal with is
discovering that the environment variable in web.xml for solr/home is
essential. If you skip that step, it won't come up.

    <env-entry>
        <env-entry-name>solr/home</env-entry-name>
        <env-entry-type>java.lang.String</env-entry-type>
        <env-entry-value>F:\Tomcat-6.0.14\webapps\solr</env-entry-value>
    </env-entry>

$CALINA_HOME/conf/Catalina/localhost doesn't exist by default, but you can
create it and it will work exactly the same way it did in Tomcat 5. It's not
created by default because its not needed by the manager webapp anymore.

<Environment name="/solr/home" value="/Users/mruno/solr-src/example/
solr" type="java.lang.String" />

I think that's all I did to get it working in Tocmat 6.

--Matthew Runo

On Dec 3, 2007, at 7:58 AM, Jörg Kiegeland wrote:

> In the Solr wiki, there is not described how to install Solr on
> Tomcat 6, and I not managed it myself :(
> In the chapter "Configuring Solr Home with JNDI" there is mentioned
> the directory $CATALINA_HOME/conf/Catalina/localhost , which not
> exists with TOMCAT 6.
>
> Alternatively I tried the folder $CATALINA_HOME/work/Catalina/
> localhost, but with no success.. (I can query the top level page,
> but the "Solr Admin" link then not works).
>
> Can anybody help?
>
> --
> Dipl.-Inf. Jörg Kiegeland
> ikv++ technologies ag
> Bernburger Strasse 24-25, D-10963 Berlin
> e-mail: [hidden email], web: http://www.ikv.de
> phone: +49 30 34 80 77 18, fax: +49 30 34 80 78 0
> Handelsregister HRB 81096; Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg
> board of  directors: Dr. Olaf Kath (CEO); Dr. Marc Born (CTO)
> supervising board: Prof. Dr. Bernd Mahr (chairman)
9:26 PM

Re: Tomcat6 env-entry

hossman

: It works excellently in Tomcat 6. The toughest thing I had to deal with is
: discovering that the environment variable in web.xml for solr/home is
: essential. If you skip that step, it won't come up.

no, there's no reason why you should need to edit the web.xml file ... the
solr/home property can be set in a <Context> configuration using an
<Environment> directive without ever opening the solr.war.  See this
section of the tomcat docs for me details...

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/context.html#Environment%20Entries

:    <env-entry>
:        <env-entry-name>solr/home</env-entry-name>
:        <env-entry-type>java.lang.String</env-entry-type>
:        <env-entry-value>F:\Tomcat-6.0.14\webapps\solr</env-entry-value>
:    </env-entry>

Re: Tomcat6 env-entry

Yousef Ourabi-3
Tomcat unpacks the jar into the webapps directory based off the context name anyway...

What was the original thinking behind not having solr/home set in the web.xml -- seems like an easier way to deal with this.

I would imagine most people are more familiar with setting params in web.xml than manually creating Contexts for their webapp...

In fact I would take a step further and have a default value of /opt/solr (or whatever...) and if a specific user wants to change it they can just edit their web.xml?

This would simplify the documentation, instead of configure your stuff in the Context -- it becomes "this is the default", copy example/solr to /opt/solr (or we have a script do it) and deploy the .war

Re: Tomcat6 env-entry

Erik Hatcher
Or, instead of messing around with the JNDI setting, simply set -
Dsolr.solr.home=/opt/solr.... with the JVM startup parameters for
Tomcat.   Hardcoding a path in web.xml is definitely _not_ what we
want to do.  Not all containers unpack the WAR file onto disk.  Also,
consider the case of upgrading to a newer version of Solr after
having tweaked web.xml.

        Erik

On Dec 4, 2007, at 9:58 PM, Yousef Ourabi wrote:

> Tomcat unpacks the jar into the webapps directory based off the
> context name anyway...
>
> What was the original thinking behind not having solr/home set in
> the web.xml -- seems like an easier way to deal with this.
>
> I would imagine most people are more familiar with setting params
> in web.xml than manually creating Contexts for their webapp...
>
> In fact I would take a step further and have a default value of /
> opt/solr (or whatever...) and if a specific user wants to change it
> they can just edit their web.xml?
>
> This would simplify the documentation, instead of configure your
> stuff in the Context -- it becomes "this is the default", copy
> example/solr to /opt/solr (or we have a script do it) and deploy
> the .war

Re: Tomcat6 env-entry

Matthew Runo
I found that the JNDI settings for Tomcat6 were hard to figure out.
Would someone be willing to write it up for the wiki? Since I think
most people getting started with SOLR will be using Tomcat6 (or
Jetty), it would make sense to update the docs a bit to make it easier
to figure out the proper place and way to set all this up.

Even just a link to this thread in some archive would help.

--Matthew

On Dec 5, 2007, at 1:57 AM, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> Or, instead of messing around with the JNDI setting, simply set -
> Dsolr.solr.home=/opt/solr.... with the JVM startup parameters for
> Tomcat.   Hardcoding a path in web.xml is definitely _not_ what we
> want to do.  Not all containers unpack the WAR file onto disk.
> Also, consider the case of upgrading to a newer version of Solr
> after having tweaked web.xml.
>
> Erik
>

> On Dec 4, 2007, at 9:58 PM, Yousef Ourabi wrote:
>
>> Tomcat unpacks the jar into the webapps directory based off the
>> context name anyway...
>>
>> What was the original thinking behind not having solr/home set in
>> the web.xml -- seems like an easier way to deal with this.
>>
>> I would imagine most people are more familiar with setting params
>> in web.xml than manually creating Contexts for their webapp...
>>
>> In fact I would take a step further and have a default value of /
>> opt/solr (or whatever...) and if a specific user wants to change it
>> they can just edit their web.xml?
>>
>> This would simplify the documentation, instead of configure your
>> stuff in the Context -- it becomes "this is the default", copy
>> example/solr to /opt/solr (or we have a script do it) and deploy
>> the .war

Re: Tomcat6 env-entry

Erick Erickson
The beautiful thing about a wiki is that *anybody* can update them. It's
especially useful if someone who's just struggled through the issues
can write something up since the pain is still fresh <G>. Especially
if you're better than I am about writing things down....

All of which leads me to ask if you're willing to volunteer. You have to
create an ID, but that's all.

Best
Erick

On Dec 5, 2007 12:05 PM, Matthew Runo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I found that the JNDI settings for Tomcat6 were hard to figure out.
> Would someone be willing to write it up for the wiki? Since I think
> most people getting started with SOLR will be using Tomcat6 (or
> Jetty), it would make sense to update the docs a bit to make it easier
> to figure out the proper place and way to set all this up.
>
> Even just a link to this thread in some archive would help.
>
> --Matthew
>
> On Dec 5, 2007, at 1:57 AM, Erik Hatcher wrote:
>
> > Or, instead of messing around with the JNDI setting, simply set -
> > Dsolr.solr.home=/opt/solr.... with the JVM startup parameters for
> > Tomcat.   Hardcoding a path in web.xml is definitely _not_ what we
> > want to do.  Not all containers unpack the WAR file onto disk.
> > Also, consider the case of upgrading to a newer version of Solr
> > after having tweaked web.xml.
> >
> >       Erik
> >

> > On Dec 4, 2007, at 9:58 PM, Yousef Ourabi wrote:
> >
> >> Tomcat unpacks the jar into the webapps directory based off the
> >> context name anyway...
> >>
> >> What was the original thinking behind not having solr/home set in
> >> the web.xml -- seems like an easier way to deal with this.
> >>
> >> I would imagine most people are more familiar with setting params
> >> in web.xml than manually creating Contexts for their webapp...
> >>
> >> In fact I would take a step further and have a default value of /
> >> opt/solr (or whatever...) and if a specific user wants to change it
> >> they can just edit their web.xml?
> >>
> >> This would simplify the documentation, instead of configure your
> >> stuff in the Context -- it becomes "this is the default", copy
> >> example/solr to /opt/solr (or we have a script do it) and deploy
> >> the .war

Re: Tomcat6 env-entry

Matthew Runo
Ok, I updated it. I hope it makes sense =\

I'm not really familiar enough with the Context changes to add those.
If someone else would be so kind as to add "the other way", it'd be
much appreciated.

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrTomcat

--Matthew

On Dec 5, 2007, at 9:31 AM, Erick Erickson wrote:

> The beautiful thing about a wiki is that *anybody* can update them.
> It's
> especially useful if someone who's just struggled through the issues
> can write something up since the pain is still fresh <G>. Especially
> if you're better than I am about writing things down....
>
> All of which leads me to ask if you're willing to volunteer. You
> have to
> create an ID, but that's all.
>
> Best
> Erick
>
> On Dec 5, 2007 12:05 PM, Matthew Runo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I found that the JNDI settings for Tomcat6 were hard to figure out.
>> Would someone be willing to write it up for the wiki? Since I think
>> most people getting started with SOLR will be using Tomcat6 (or
>> Jetty), it would make sense to update the docs a bit to make it
>> easier
>> to figure out the proper place and way to set all this up.
>>
>> Even just a link to this thread in some archive would help.
>>
>> --Matthew
>>
>> On Dec 5, 2007, at 1:57 AM, Erik Hatcher wrote:
>>
>>> Or, instead of messing around with the JNDI setting, simply set -
>>> Dsolr.solr.home=/opt/solr.... with the JVM startup parameters for
>>> Tomcat.   Hardcoding a path in web.xml is definitely _not_ what we
>>> want to do.  Not all containers unpack the WAR file onto disk.
>>> Also, consider the case of upgrading to a newer version of Solr
>>> after having tweaked web.xml.
>>>
>>>      Erik

Re: Tomcat6 env-entry

Erik Hatcher
Thanks Matthew!   I tidied up a couple of minor things in there.

        Erik

On Dec 5, 2007, at 2:00 PM, Matthew Runo wrote:

> Ok, I updated it. I hope it makes sense =\
>
> I'm not really familiar enough with the Context changes to add
> those. If someone else would be so kind as to add "the other way",
> it'd be much appreciated.
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrTomcat
>
> --Matthew
>
> On Dec 5, 2007, at 9:31 AM, Erick Erickson wrote:
>
>> The beautiful thing about a wiki is that *anybody* can update
>> them. It's
>> especially useful if someone who's just struggled through the issues
>> can write something up since the pain is still fresh <G>. Especially
>> if you're better than I am about writing things down....
>>
>> All of which leads me to ask if you're willing to volunteer. You
>> have to
>> create an ID, but that's all.
>>
>> Best
>> Erick
>>
>> On Dec 5, 2007 12:05 PM, Matthew Runo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I found that the JNDI settings for Tomcat6 were hard to figure out.
>>> Would someone be willing to write it up for the wiki? Since I think
>>> most people getting started with SOLR will be using Tomcat6 (or
>>> Jetty), it would make sense to update the docs a bit to make it
>>> easier
>>> to figure out the proper place and way to set all this up.
>>>
>>> Even just a link to this thread in some archive would help.
>>>
>>> --Matthew

Re: Tomcat6 env-entry

Sami Siren-2
I don't recall any differences in tomcat 6 configuration compared to
tomcat 5, did you try to follow the information on wiki for tomcat 5 on
your installation?

--
 Sami Siren

Matthew Runo wrote:
> Ok, I updated it. I hope it makes sense =\
>
> I'm not really familiar enough with the Context changes to add those. If
> someone else would be so kind as to add "the other way", it'd be much
> appreciated.
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrTomcat
>
> --Matthew

Re: Tomcat6 env-entry

hossman

Erik has already made some good fllowup comments, but to address some
specific points...

: What was the original thinking behind not having solr/home set in the
: web.xml -- seems like an easier way to deal with this.

because then people would *have* to unpack the war to change it ... some
containers don't unpack the war anyway, let alone expect you to.  it would
also make upgrading difficult (right now, once you have a setup you like,
you just replace the war ... if you had to edit the web.xml every time it
would be a pain.

: I would imagine most people are more familiar with setting params in
: web.xml than manually creating Contexts for their webapp...

Hmmmm.... "most people" is a broad term.  "most java develpers" who are
use to writting webapp themselves maybe.  for non java people it's
probably 50/50.

And remember: you don't *have* to edit the context file ... Sol looks for
the solr home dir 3 different ways, you only need to create/edit a context
file *if*:
  1) you are using tomcat
  2) you want to specify the solr home using JNDI.

: In fact I would take a step further and have a default value of
: /opt/solr (or whatever...) and if a specific user wants to change it
: they can just edit their web.xml?

Solr does have a default: it's the current working directory, the one and
only directory that Solr can be garunteed will exist on any users file
system -- assuming /opt/solr would be very unix centric, and wouldn't be
very nice to our windows users who are pretty happy with the default CWD
or using a system property to set it at run time.

: This would simplify the documentation, instead of configure your stuff
: in the Context -- it becomes "this is the default", copy example/solr to

the basic documentation for "running solr" is actaully pretty darn
simple..

   cd example; java -jar start.jar

...it doesn't get much simpler then that.  where things get more
complicated is in running solr in different containers, and using
differnet container specific configuration mechanisms to set the solr home
... and even doesn't really seem all that complicated to me.

-Hoss