Understanding/controlling role of Weight in IndexSearcher

Understanding/controlling role of Weight in IndexSearcher

Micah Jaffe
Quick summary of situation (using 2.3.2, StandardAnalyzer):

I've taken a field that was being created as a "default" for a
document, e.g. a giant string of glommed on values from other field
values and instead created a boolean query to hit all the fields which
would normally contribute to this default field.  The problem being
that now it appears the searcher will not return documents that do in
fact match on one of the many OR'd fields.  I was able to sleuth this
out thanks to the little checkbox in Luke that forced it to return any
matches on a search, but I'm a bit puzzled on how best to approach a
fix.  I'm guessing by setting a low weight the searcher would return
expected matches, but I'm also curious how weights are calculated.
For instance when searching on an address field, e.g. "1234 William
Way", the searcher wouldn't normally return a document when querying
on "william", but an exact match on the first name field would (which
is also boosted higher in the index, which is another thing I'm also
wondering that might be contributing to the less-than-expected results).

thoughts?  pointers?  best practices?

thanks,
Micah

RE: Understanding/controlling role of Weight in IndexSearcher

steve_rowe
Hi Micah,

On 09/09/2008 at 11:57 PM, Micah Jaffe wrote:
> I'm [...] curious how weights are calculated.
[...]

http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/scoring.html