Unexpected search results

muness
When search through solr, a user noticed some unintuitive results to a query.  I am having trouble figuring out if this is the expected result or not.

Here's an example:
 * Using the query "otto" returns 10 results
 * Using the query "otto added" returns 10 results

The weird part is that the results returned for "otto added" are not a the same set of results returned for "otto".  Instead they are a completely different set of results.

For reference, the URLs being used for the queries is:
 * http://localhost:8982/solr/select/?q=otto
 * http://localhost:8982/solr/select/?q=otto+added

Shouldn't all the results being returned for "otto added" also be returned for the more general query "otto"?  Or is this the expected behavior?  If so, why?

Thanks!
Muness

RE: Unexpected search results

Vauthrin, Laurent
Are the queries only returning 10 results? (in the result element ->
<result name="response" numFound="10" start="0">)

By default, I believe Solr will only return the first ten results it
finds which may explain the results.

solr-user-return-20409-Laurent.Vauthrin=[hidden email]

RE: Unexpected search results

muness
Laurent,

My bad, I should have used the exact query results I was getting, rather than a made up example.  Here are those results:

$ curl http://localhost:8982/solr/select/?q=otto --silent | xmlstarlet fo | grep numFound
  <result name="response" numFound="40" start="0">
$ curl http://localhost:8982/solr/select/?q=otto%20added --silent | xmlstarlet fo | grep numFound
  <result name="response" numFound="75" start="0">

As you can see, the result set for "otto added" is actually bigger than that for "otto".  Is that correct?

Muness

-----

Vauthrin, Laurent wrote
Are the queries only returning 10 results? (in the result element ->
<result name="response" numFound="10" start="0">)

By default, I believe Solr will only return the first ten results it
finds which may explain the results.

Re: Unexpected search results

Erick Erickson
Sure, given that the default operator is OR you'd expect it to widen as you
add more terms.....