Unit testing our UIs

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
Hi

We’re adding more and more UIs to Solr, and they have no unit tests (as far as I know). I could not find any discussions on this topic in the list archives, so thought to bring it up here.

I only know about Selenium, could be cool to write up some simple tests exercising key parts of the Admin UI in various browsers. Or?

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

Re: Unit testing our UIs

Malcolm Upayavira Holmes

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015, at 03:06 PM, Jan Høydahl wrote:
> Hi
>
> We’re adding more and more UIs to Solr, and they have no unit tests (as
> far as I know). I could not find any discussions on this topic in the
> list archives, so thought to bring it up here.
>
> I only know about Selenium, could be cool to write up some simple tests
> exercising key parts of the Admin UI in various browsers. Or?

I would love to work out how to test Angular UIs - it has been on my
todo list for some time.

As I understand it, we'd need a browser (e.g. Chrome) running in the
background, which would make it a different kind of test to the rest of
our test suite.

I'm game for working on it. If we can get a single test that works, I
can start using it more widely across the UI.

Upayavira

Re: Unit testing our UIs

Malcolm Upayavira Holmes

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015, at 04:19 PM, Upayavira wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 20, 2015, at 03:06 PM, Jan Høydahl wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > We’re adding more and more UIs to Solr, and they have no unit tests (as
> > far as I know). I could not find any discussions on this topic in the
> > list archives, so thought to bring it up here.
> >
> > I only know about Selenium, could be cool to write up some simple tests
> > exercising key parts of the Admin UI in various browsers. Or?
>
> I would love to work out how to test Angular UIs - it has been on my
> todo list for some time.
>
> As I understand it, we'd need a browser (e.g. Chrome) running in the
> background, which would make it a different kind of test to the rest of
> our test suite.
>
> I'm game for working on it. If we can get a single test that works, I
> can start using it more widely across the UI.

I should say that our AngularUI should be much more testable than the
existing one, as it is more modular, and can be tested (even without a
browser) using dependency injection.

Upayavira

Re: Unit testing our UIs

Stefan Matheis-3
I don't know about testing in angular.js but in general there are fancy tools for frontend testing:

angular.js' documentation on testing:

As I understand it, we'd need a browser (e.g. Chrome) running in the
background, which would make it a different kind of test to the rest of
our test suite.
so i'm not sure about a browser really be a requirement :)

-Stefan