Urgent: Facetable but not Searchable Field

Urgent: Facetable but not Searchable Field

Jkeerthi
All,

We have a requirement, where we need to implement 2 fields as Facetable,
but the values of the fields should not be Searchable.

Please let me know is this feature Supported in Solr If yes what would be
the Configuration to be done in Schema.xml and Solrconfig.xml to achieve
the same.

This is kind of urgent as we need to reply on the functionality.

Thanks in advance,

Jay

Re: Urgent: Facetable but not Searchable Field

Michael Kuhlmann-4
On 01.08.2012 13:58, jayakeerthi s wrote:
> We have a requirement, where we need to implement 2 fields as Facetable,
> but the values of the fields should not be Searchable.

Simply don't search for it, then it's not searchable.

Or do I simply don't understand your question? As long as Dismax doesn't
have the attribute in its qf parameter, it's not getting searched.

Or, if the user has direct access to Solr, then she can search for the
attribute. And can delete the index, or crash the server, if she likes.

So the short anser is: No. Facettable fields must be searchable. But
usually, this is no problem.

-Kuli

Re: Urgent: Facetable but not Searchable Field

Yonik Seeley-2-2
On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 7:58 AM, jayakeerthi s <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We have a requirement, where we need to implement 2 fields as Facetable,
> but the values of the fields should not be Searchable.

The user fields "uf" feature of the edismax parser may work for you:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/ExtendedDisMax#uf_.28User_Fields.29

-Yonik
http://lucidimagination.com

Re: Urgent: Facetable but not Searchable Field

Jack Krupansky-2
The "indexed" and "stored" field attributes are independent, so you can
define a facet field as "stored" but not "indexed" (stored="true"
indexed="false"), so that the field can be faceted but not indexed.

In addition, you can also use a copyField to copy the original values for an
indexed field (before the values get analyzed and transformed to be placed
in the index as terms) to a stored field to facet them (or vice versa).

-- Jack Krupansky

Jay

On 01.08.2012 15:40, Jack Krupansky wrote:
> The "indexed" and "stored" field attributes are independent, so you can
> define a facet field as "stored" but not "indexed" (stored="true"
> indexed="false"), so that the field can be faceted but not indexed.

?

A field must be indexed to be used for faceting.

-Kuli

Re: Urgent: Facetable but not Searchable Field

Jack Krupansky-2
Oops. Obviously facet fields must be indexed. Not sure what I was thinking
at the moment.

-- Jack Krupansky