Use of java.util.logging in Tika

kkrugler
Hi devs,

I’m curious about the occasional use of java.util.logging in Tika:

> ./tika-core/src/main/java/org/apache/tika/config/InitializableProblemHandler.java:import java.util.logging.Logger;
> ./tika-core/src/main/java/org/apache/tika/config/LoadErrorHandler.java:import java.util.logging.Logger;
> ./tika-core/src/main/java/org/apache/tika/detect/NNExampleModelDetector.java:import java.util.logging.Logger;
> ./tika-core/src/main/java/org/apache/tika/utils/XMLReaderUtils.java:import java.util.logging.Logger;
> ./tika-nlp/src/main/java/org/apache/tika/parser/recognition/AgeRecogniser.java:import java.util.logging.Logger;

Most (all?) of the other Tika code is using slf4j.

I noticed this when my well-formatted log file suddenly contained this entry (no timestamp, etc)

> Jan 31, 2018 1:28:21 PM org.apache.tika.config.InitializableProblemHandler$3 handleInitializableProblem
> WARNING: org.xerial's sqlite-jdbc is not loaded.
> Please provide the jar on your classpath to parse sqlite files.
> See tika-parsers/pom.xml for the correct version.

Were these uses of java.util.logging intentional?

Thanks,

— Ken

http://about.me/kkrugler
+1 530-210-6378

RE: Use of java.util.logging in Tika

Allison, Timothy B.
Not intentional.  I'll fix them.  Thank you.

+1 530-210-6378

RE: Use of java.util.logging in Tika

Allison, Timothy B.
Actually, wait.  Y, I think the ones in tika-core were intentional.  I think we were using jul in tika-core (to keep dependencies limited) but slf4j in the others.  [1]  The AgeRecognitionParser should be changed.

Konstantin proposed moving to slf4j in tika-core in 2.x, and I think there were no -1.  So, let's do that in master?

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/313a3fcb30c6687ddfd7e2db19e480c1f0810d544f7987aacbf557be@%3Cdev.tika.apache.org%3E