Use repository.apache.org for deployment

Use repository.apache.org for deployment

Jukka Zitting
Hi,

Apache has a new Nexus repository manager installed at
https://repository.apache.org/. It's much nicer than the
people.apache.org/repo repositories for both snapshot and release
deployment. For snapshots, we can simply configure the Hudson build to
"mvn deploy" to the repository without worrying about syncing stuff
from hudson.zones.apache.org to people.apache.org. And for releases,
the release manager can just "mvn deploy" into an automatically
created staging repository that can easily be approved or cancelled
based on the result of the release vote. The release manager doesn't
need to worry about altDeploymentRepository settings or manually
copying artifacts between staging repositories.

Unless anyone objects, I'll ask the repository.apache.org maintainers
to set things up for Tika and update the Tika POMs accordingly.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Use repository.apache.org for deployment

Mattmann, Chris A (3010)
+1, but I'll need some hand-holding if I do the RM duties again! :)

Thanks, Jukka!

Cheers,
Chris

On 8/5/09 1:33 PM, "Jukka Zitting" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: [hidden email]
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Re: Use repository.apache.org for deployment

Jukka Zitting
Hi,

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 11:08 PM, Mattmann, Chris A
(388J)<[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1, but I'll need some hand-holding if I do the RM duties again! :)

No problem, I've used the repository.apache.org server now for a few
Jackrabbit releases and it's dead simple. Basically, once we've set up
the POMs for this, the process to do a release is:

1. mvn release:prepare (sanity checks, sets POM version numbers, tags
the sources, etc.)
2. mvn release:perform (checks out the tagged release, mvn deploy's to
repository.apache.org)
3. go to https://repository.apache.org/ and "Close" the new staged repository
4. export, package and sign the tagged sources from above
5. call the release vote

If we wanted, we could probably automate step 4 and make it run
automatically as a part of step 2.

Once the release vote passes, the steps to publish the artifacts are:

1. go to https://repository.apache.org/ and "Promote" the staged repository
2. copy the source archive to /www/www.apache.org/dist/lucene/tika
3. update Tika web site

In summary a lot less manual tweaking (version numbers, tags, staged
repositories, etc.) is needed.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 10:33 PM, Jukka Zitting<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Unless anyone objects, I'll ask the repository.apache.org maintainers
> to set things up for Tika and update the Tika POMs accordingly.

I filed INFRA-2197 [1] for this.

BR,

Jukka Zitting