[VOTE] LOGO

12

[VOTE] LOGO

Ryan McKinley
This thread is for solr committers to list the top 4 logos preferences
from the community logo contest.  As a guide, we should look at:
http://people.apache.org/~ryan/solr-logo-results.html

The winner will be tabulated using "instant runoff voting" -- if this
happens to result in a tie, the winner will be picked by the 'Single
transferable vote'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_transferable_vote

To cast a valid vote, you *must* include 4 options.

ryan

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Ryan McKinley
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394070/sslogo-solr-finder2.0.png
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394264/apache_solr_a_red.jpg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394266/apache_solr_b_red.jpg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394165/solr-logo.png

ryan

On Dec 10, 2008, at 8:51 PM, Ryan McKinley wrote:

> This thread is for solr committers to list the top 4 logos
> preferences from the community logo contest.  As a guide, we should
> look at:
> http://people.apache.org/~ryan/solr-logo-results.html
>
> The winner will be tabulated using "instant runoff voting" -- if
> this happens to result in a tie, the winner will be picked by the
> 'Single transferable vote'
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_transferable_vote
>
> To cast a valid vote, you *must* include 4 options.
>
> ryan

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Otis Gospodnetic-2
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394376/solr_sp.png
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394218/solr-solid.png
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394475/solr2_maho-vote.png  ---- is this one ok?
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12392306/apache_solr_sun.png

If #3 above is not OK:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394376/solr_sp.png
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394218/solr-solid.png
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12392306/apache_solr_sun.png
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12391946/apache_solr_burning.png

Otis

> This thread is for solr committers to list the top 4 logos preferences from the
> community logo contest.  As a guide, we should look at:
> http://people.apache.org/~ryan/solr-logo-results.html
>
> The winner will be tabulated using "instant runoff voting" -- if this happens to
> result in a tie, the winner will be picked by the 'Single transferable vote'
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_transferable_vote
>
> To cast a valid vote, you *must* include 4 options.
>
> ryan

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Yonik Seeley-2
Doesn't limiting to top 4 defeat the purpose of using STV to overcome
splitting-the-vote?
Seems like we should rank the whole list (or all that an individual
finds acceptable)

-Yonik

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 8:51 PM, Ryan McKinley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This thread is for solr committers to list the top 4 logos preferences from
> the community logo contest.  As a guide, we should look at:
> http://people.apache.org/~ryan/solr-logo-results.html
>
> The winner will be tabulated using "instant runoff voting" -- if this
> happens to result in a tie, the winner will be picked by the 'Single
> transferable vote'
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_transferable_vote
>
> To cast a valid vote, you *must* include 4 options.
>
> ryan

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Ryan McKinley
I don't think STV makes much sense unless we are picking more then
one.  The key in STV is that the extra votes for the "winner" get
passed on to the choice.  Since there really is not a next choice it
does not help.

Instant Runoff however does make sense.  We cycle through the votes
and at each "round" toss out the losing candidate.  In each round,
everyone gets to vote for their top choice of available candidates
until something has a majority or no other candidates are left.  If
there is a tie at the end, the STV tally can break the tie.

We could rank more then 4 to ensure that the rounds could go
longer...  but i hope that is not necessary.  For things to work out
though it is important that everyone vote for the same number of
choices.

On Dec 10, 2008, at 10:52 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:

> Doesn't limiting to top 4 defeat the purpose of using STV to overcome
> splitting-the-vote?
> Seems like we should rank the whole list (or all that an individual
> finds acceptable)
>
> -Yonik
>
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 8:51 PM, Ryan McKinley <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> This thread is for solr committers to list the top 4 logos
>> preferences from
>> the community logo contest.  As a guide, we should look at:
>> http://people.apache.org/~ryan/solr-logo-results.html
>>
>> The winner will be tabulated using "instant runoff voting" -- if this
>> happens to result in a tie, the winner will be picked by the 'Single
>> transferable vote'
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_transferable_vote
>>
>> To cast a valid vote, you *must* include 4 options.
>>
>> ryan

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Ryan McKinley

On Dec 10, 2008, at 10:12 PM, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394475/solr2_maho-vote.png
>   ---- is this one ok?

Seems totally fine by me.

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Bill Au

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Mike Klaas
I agree.  I don't see why there needs to be  a minimum or maximum
number of logos to rank per vote.

-Mike

On 10-Dec-08, at 7:52 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:

> Doesn't limiting to top 4 defeat the purpose of using STV to overcome
> splitting-the-vote?
> Seems like we should rank the whole list (or all that an individual
> finds acceptable)
>
> -Yonik
>
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 8:51 PM, Ryan McKinley <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> This thread is for solr committers to list the top 4 logos
>> preferences from
>> the community logo contest.  As a guide, we should look at:
>> http://people.apache.org/~ryan/solr-logo-results.html
>>
>> The winner will be tabulated using "instant runoff voting" -- if this
>> happens to result in a tie, the winner will be picked by the 'Single
>> transferable vote'
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_transferable_vote
>>
>> To cast a valid vote, you *must* include 4 options.
>>
>> ryan

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Ryan McKinley
Agreed -- assuming there is a clear winner none of this is an issue.
My rationale for saying we need to have 4 votes is to be sure that we
can go through 4 rounds and have everyone have a vote in each round.
If someone only put one preference and that is eliminated, there are
fewer votes to tally for the next round.

But i really don't care -- go ahead and vote for as many or as few as
you like...  with instant run off it should not matter (however if you
vote for too few and they are eliminated early you no longer have a
vote)

On Dec 11, 2008, at 4:28 PM, Mike Klaas wrote:

> I agree.  I don't see why there needs to be  a minimum or maximum
> number of logos to rank per vote.
>
> -Mike
>
> On 10-Dec-08, at 7:52 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:
>
>> Doesn't limiting to top 4 defeat the purpose of using STV to overcome
>> splitting-the-vote?
>> Seems like we should rank the whole list (or all that an individual
>> finds acceptable)
>>
>> -Yonik
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 8:51 PM, Ryan McKinley <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> This thread is for solr committers to list the top 4 logos
>>> preferences from
>>> the community logo contest.  As a guide, we should look at:
>>> http://people.apache.org/~ryan/solr-logo-results.html
>>>
>>> The winner will be tabulated using "instant runoff voting" -- if
>>> this
>>> happens to result in a tie, the winner will be picked by the 'Single
>>> transferable vote'
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_transferable_vote
>>>
>>> To cast a valid vote, you *must* include 4 options.
>>>
>>> ryan

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

hossman

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Yonik Seeley-2

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Koji Sekiguchi
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12392306/apache_solr_sun.png
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394165/solr-logo.png
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394475/solr2_maho-vote.png
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394376/solr_sp.png

koji

Ryan McKinley wrote:

> This thread is for solr committers to list the top 4 logos preferences
> from the community logo contest.  As a guide, we should look at:
> http://people.apache.org/~ryan/solr-logo-results.html
>
> The winner will be tabulated using "instant runoff voting" -- if this
> happens to result in a tie, the winner will be picked by the 'Single
> transferable vote'
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_transferable_vote
>
> To cast a valid vote, you *must* include 4 options.
>
> ryan

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Yonik Seeley-2
To try and avoid double-counting (the same person voting for a red
version, then a blue version, etc), I went back to the original vote:

21 people had one of the apache_solr_[abc]_[red/blue].jpg varianst
ahead of sslogo-solr-finder2.0.png
3 people had sslogo-solr-finder2.0.png ahead of apache_solr_c_red.jpg variants.

Due to that, I'm revising my vote to remove sslogo-solr-finder2.0.png
(if that makes a difference).
If one of the apache_solr_c_red.jpg variants win, we can still declare
a winner, but go back to the community for more guidance on the exact
version they prefer.

-Yonik

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 8:32 PM, Yonik Seeley <[hidden email]> wrote:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394268/apache_solr_c_red.jpg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394350/solr.s4.jpg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394267/apache_solr_c_blue.jpg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394264/apache_solr_a_red.jpg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394263/apache_solr_a_blue.jpg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394266/apache_solr_b_red.jpg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394265/apache_solr_b_blue.jpg

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Shalin Shekhar Mangar
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394266/apache_solr_b_red.jpg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394475/solr2_maho-vote.png
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394264/apache_solr_a_red.jpg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394268/apache_solr_c_red.jpg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394350/solr.s4.jpg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394376/solr_sp.png

Rays > sun
Red > blue
Diversity > similar logos

:-)

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 7:21 AM, Ryan McKinley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This thread is for solr committers to list the top 4 logos preferences from
> the community logo contest.  As a guide, we should look at:
> http://people.apache.org/~ryan/solr-logo-results.html<http://people.apache.org/%7Eryan/solr-logo-results.html>
>
> The winner will be tabulated using "instant runoff voting" -- if this
> happens to result in a tie, the winner will be picked by the 'Single
> transferable vote'
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_transferable_vote
>
> To cast a valid vote, you *must* include 4 options.
>
> ryan

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Mike Klaas

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Erik Hatcher
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394070/sslogo-solr-finder2.0.png
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12393995/sslogo-solr-70s.png
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394475/solr2_maho-vote.png
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394165/solr-logo.png

On Dec 10, 2008, at 8:51 PM, Ryan McKinley wrote:

> This thread is for solr committers to list the top 4 logos
> preferences from the community logo contest.  As a guide, we should
> look at:
> http://people.apache.org/~ryan/solr-logo-results.html
>
> The winner will be tabulated using "instant runoff voting" -- if
> this happens to result in a tie, the winner will be picked by the
> 'Single transferable vote'
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_transferable_vote
>
> To cast a valid vote, you *must* include 4 options.
>
> ryan

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Ryan McKinley
Ok, all votes are cast (except Grant who is abstaining)

results are:
http://people.apache.org/~ryan/solr-logo-r2.html

Looks like the winner is:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394264/apache_solr_a_red.jpg

runner up is:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394070/sslogo-solr-finder2.0.png

I hope we are all happy with the result.  I'll post to solr-user
tomorrow unless anyone chimes in with a veto or something crazy!

ryan

On Dec 10, 2008, at 8:51 PM, Ryan McKinley wrote:

> This thread is for solr committers to list the top 4 logos
> preferences from the community logo contest.  As a guide, we should
> look at:
> http://people.apache.org/~ryan/solr-logo-results.html
>
> The winner will be tabulated using "instant runoff voting" -- if
> this happens to result in a tie, the winner will be picked by the
> 'Single transferable vote'
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_transferable_vote
>
> To cast a valid vote, you *must* include 4 options.
>
> ryan

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Yonik Seeley
We can declare a winner to the contest, but hopefully we can still
tweak (after all, we need different sizes (or vectorized),
transparency, etc.)  As I stated before, I'd like to get feedback on
the actual preferred variant, because as I read the tea leaves, these
two variants may be preferred over apache_solr_a_red.jpg.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394268/apache_solr_c_red.jpg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394350/solr.s4.jpg

Since the winner no longer changes, tweaking variants is no longer a
fairness issue.
Unless a majority of the committers personally prefer
apache_solr_a_red.jpg. over apache_solr_c_red.jpg / solr.s4.jpg?

-Yonik

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 5:52 PM, Ryan McKinley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, all votes are cast (except Grant who is abstaining)
>
> results are:
> http://people.apache.org/~ryan/solr-logo-r2.html
>
> Looks like the winner is:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394264/apache_solr_a_red.jpg
>
> runner up is:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394070/sslogo-solr-finder2.0.png
>
> I hope we are all happy with the result.  I'll post to solr-user tomorrow
> unless anyone chimes in with a veto or something crazy!
>
> ryan
>

> On Dec 10, 2008, at 8:51 PM, Ryan McKinley wrote:
>
>> This thread is for solr committers to list the top 4 logos preferences
>> from the community logo contest.  As a guide, we should look at:
>> http://people.apache.org/~ryan/solr-logo-results.html
>>
>> The winner will be tabulated using "instant runoff voting" -- if this
>> happens to result in a tie, the winner will be picked by the 'Single
>> transferable vote'
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_transferable_vote
>>
>> To cast a valid vote, you *must* include 4 options.
>>
>> ryan

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Erik Hatcher
I much prefer "Solr" being in that case format.  An all-upcased SOLR
ain't right to me.  But I'm particular about such things.  And the
font on the winner perhaps could use some tweaking?

        Erik

On Dec 13, 2008, at 7:35 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:

> We can declare a winner to the contest, but hopefully we can still
> tweak (after all, we need different sizes (or vectorized),
> transparency, etc.)  As I stated before, I'd like to get feedback on
> the actual preferred variant, because as I read the tea leaves, these
> two variants may be preferred over apache_solr_a_red.jpg.
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394268/apache_solr_c_red.jpg
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394350/solr.s4.jpg
>
> Since the winner no longer changes, tweaking variants is no longer a
> fairness issue.
> Unless a majority of the committers personally prefer
> apache_solr_a_red.jpg. over apache_solr_c_red.jpg / solr.s4.jpg?
>
> -Yonik
>

> On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 5:52 PM, Ryan McKinley <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Ok, all votes are cast (except Grant who is abstaining)
>>
>> results are:
>> http://people.apache.org/~ryan/solr-logo-r2.html
>>
>> Looks like the winner is:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394264/apache_solr_a_red.jpg
>>
>> runner up is:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394070/sslogo-solr-finder2.0.png
>>
>> I hope we are all happy with the result.  I'll post to solr-user
>> tomorrow
>> unless anyone chimes in with a veto or something crazy!
>>
>> ryan
>>

>> On Dec 10, 2008, at 8:51 PM, Ryan McKinley wrote:
>>
>>> This thread is for solr committers to list the top 4 logos
>>> preferences
>>> from the community logo contest.  As a guide, we should look at:
>>> http://people.apache.org/~ryan/solr-logo-results.html
>>>
>>> The winner will be tabulated using "instant runoff voting" -- if
>>> this
>>> happens to result in a tie, the winner will be picked by the 'Single
>>> transferable vote'
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_transferable_vote
>>>
>>> To cast a valid vote, you *must* include 4 options.
>>>
>>> ryan

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

hossman

: I hope we are all happy with the result.  I'll post to solr-user tomorrow
: unless anyone chimes in with a veto or something crazy!

the only hitch is...

        ...if your entry is selected to be the new Solr Log you must
        provide the "scalable vector, print quality version of the logo"
        prior to the selecting being official."

that doesn't really change anything as far as announcing a winner, but we
do need to make sure we get a vector version before it becomes "official"
(ie: updating the site, sending out prizes, etc...)

-Hoss

12