[VOTE] Lucene Java 2.9.2 and 3.0.1 release artifacts

[VOTE] Lucene Java 2.9.2 and 3.0.1 release artifacts

Uwe Schindler
Hallo Folks,

I have posted a release candidate for both Lucene Java 2.9.2 and 3.0.1 (which both have the same bug fix level, functionality and release announcement), build from revision 910082 of the corresponding branches. Thanks for all your help! Please test them and give your votes until Thursday morning, as the scheduled release date for both versions is Friday, Feb 19th, 2010. Only votes from Lucene PMC are binding, but everyone
is welcome to check the release candidate and voice their approval or disapproval. The vote passes if at least three binding +1 votes are cast.

We planned the parallel release with one announcement because of their parallel development / bug fix level to emphasize that they are equal except deprecation removal and Java 5 since major version 3.

Please also read the attached release announcement (Open Document) and send it corrected back if you miss anything or want to improve my bad English :-)

You find the artifacts here:
http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging-area/lucene-292-301-take1-rev910082/

Maven repo:
http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging-area/lucene-292-301-take1-rev910082/maven/

The changes are here:
http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging-area/lucene-292-301-take1-rev910082/changes-2.9.2/Changes.html
http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging-area/lucene-292-301-take1-rev910082/changes-2.9.2/Contrib-Changes.html

http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging-area/lucene-292-301-take1-rev910082/changes-3.0.1/Changes.html
http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging-area/lucene-292-301-take1-rev910082/changes-3.0.1/Contrib-Changes.html

Uwe

=== Proposed Release Announcement ===

Hello Lucene users,

On behalf of the Lucene development community I would like to announce the release of Lucene Java versions 3.0.1 and 2.9.2:

Both releases fix bugs in the previous versions, where 2.9.2 is the last release working with Java 1.4, still providing all deprecated APIs of the Lucene Java 2.x series. 3.0.1 has the same bug fix level, but requires Java 5 and is no longer compatible with code using deprecated APIs. The API was cleaned up to make use of Java 5's generics, varargs, enums, and autoboxing. New users of Lucene are advised to use version 3.0.1 for new developments, because it has a clean, type safe new API. Users upgrading from 2.9.x can now remove unnecessary casts and add generics to their code, too.

Important improvements in these releases are a increased maximum number of unique terms in each index segment. They also add fixes in IndexWriter’s commit and lost document deletes in near real-time indexing. Also lots of bugs in Contrib’s Analyzers package were fixed. Additionally, the 3.0.1 release restored some public methods, that get lost during deprecation removal. If you are using Lucene in a web application environment, you will notice that the new Attribute-based TokenStream API now works correct with different class loaders.
Both releases are fully compatible with the corresponding previous versions. We strongly recommend upgrading to 2.9.2 if you are using 2.9.1 or 2.9.0; and to 3.0.1 if you are using 3.0.0.

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de
eMail: [hidden email]

release-note.odt (7K) Download Attachment

RE: [VOTE] Lucene Java 2.9.2 and 3.0.1 release artifacts

Uwe Schindler
As people.apache.org is down, here is an alternate location with the same artifacts:

http://alpha.thetaphi.de/lucene-292-301-take1-rev910082/

Happy testing!

-----
> [...]
> IndexWriter’s commit and lost document deletes in near real-time
> indexing. Also lots of bugs in Contrib’s Analyzers package were fixed.
> Additionally, the 3.0.1 release restored some public methods, that get
> lost during deprecation removal. If you are using Lucene in a web
> application environment, you will notice that the new Attribute-based
> TokenStream API now works correct with different class loaders.
> Both releases are fully compatible with the corresponding previous
> versions. We strongly recommend upgrading to 2.9.2 if you are using
> 2.9.1 or 2.9.0; and to 3.0.1 if you are using 3.0.0.
>
> -----
> Uwe Schindler
> H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
> http://www.thetaphi.de
> eMail: [hidden email]

RE: [VOTE] Lucene Java 2.9.2 and 3.0.1 release artifacts

Hi all,

I tested the lucene-core-3.0.1.jar in production since Sunday afternoon, no problems. I also replaced by the 2.9.2 file in my dev environment (without recompilations, because the locally added generics would break only the compilation but not the JVM of my projects) and tested: works.

I also downloaded the artifacts to a computer without my own trustdb, imported KEYS and verified the signatures - no problems (only the GPG warning about the fact that the imported KEYS are not yet trusted by me). Md5/sha1 are also ok.

I also downloaded source zips and built/tested using ANT - passed.

So a +1 from myself as a non-PMC member.

-----
> [...]
> IndexWriter’s commit and lost document deletes in near real-time
> indexing. Also lots of bugs in Contrib’s Analyzers package were fixed.
> Additionally, the 3.0.1 release restored some public methods, that get
> lost during deprecation removal. If you are using Lucene in a web
> application environment, you will notice that the new Attribute-based
> TokenStream API now works correct with different class loaders.
> Both releases are fully compatible with the corresponding previous
> versions. We strongly recommend upgrading to 2.9.2 if you are using
> 2.9.1 or 2.9.0; and to 3.0.1 if you are using 3.0.0.
>
> -----
> Uwe Schindler
> H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
> http://www.thetaphi.de
> eMail: [hidden email]

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Java 2.9.2 and 3.0.1 release artifacts

Mark Miller-3
+1 from me - I've put both releases through their paces - though
technically, there are a handful of files that look like they need
apache headers (css, html) that are reported by rat. I don't think this
is a new issue though, so I don't think its something we need to be that
picky about right now.

A ref to the apache header policy:

With few exceptions <#faq-exceptions>, all human-readable
Apache-developed files that are included within a distribution must
include the header text <#header-text>. Documentation, including web
site documentation distributed with the release, may include the header
text within some form of metadata (such as HTML comments) or as a header
or footer appearing in the visible documentation.

A file without any degree of creativity in either its literal elements
or its structure is not protected by copyright law; therefore, such a
file does not require a license header. If in doubt about the extent of
the file's creativity, add the license header to the file.

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com

Uwe Schindler wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I tested the lucene-core-3.0.1.jar in production since Sunday afternoon, no problems. I also replaced by the 2.9.2 file in my dev environment (without recompilations, because the locally added generics would break only the compilation but not the JVM of my projects) and tested: works.
>
> I also downloaded the artifacts to a computer without my own trustdb, imported KEYS and verified the signatures - no problems (only the GPG warning about the fact that the imported KEYS are not yet trusted by me). Md5/sha1 are also ok.
>
> I also downloaded source zips and built/tested using ANT - passed.
>
> So a +1 from myself as a non-PMC member.
>
> -----
> Uwe Schindler
> H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
> http://www.thetaphi.de

Grant Ingersoll-2
+1 on releasing.

On Feb 14, 2010, at 6:45 PM, Uwe Schindler wrote:

> [...]
>
> Important improvements in these releases are a increased maximum number of unique terms in each index segment. They also add fixes in IndexWriter’s commit and lost document deletes in near real-time indexing. Also lots of bugs in Contrib’s Analyzers package were fixed. Additionally, the 3.0.1 release restored some public methods, that get lost during deprecation removal. If you are using Lucene in a web application environment, you will notice that the new Attribute-based TokenStream API now works correct with different class loaders.
> Both releases are fully compatible with the corresponding previous versions. We strongly recommend upgrading to 2.9.2 if you are using 2.9.1 or 2.9.0; and to 3.0.1 if you are using 3.0.0.

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/

Search the Lucene ecosystem using Solr/Lucene: http://www.lucidimagination.com/search

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Java 2.9.2 and 3.0.1 release artifacts

Ted Dunning
+0.  I only have time to read the release documents.  Uwe's apologies were
incorrect, the language is fine.

Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Java 2.9.2 and 3.0.1 release artifacts

Simon Willnauer
+1 from here

I put the 3.0.1 into several apps and everything seems to run smoothly
for the last couple of days. All tests pass

simon