[VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.0.4.1-alpha

12

[VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.0.4.1-alpha

Konstantin Boudnik-2
All,

I have created a release candidate (rc0) for hadoop-2.0.4.1-alpha that I would
like to release.

This is a stabilization release that includes fixed for a couple a of issues
discovered in the testing with BigTop 0.6.0 release candidate.

The RC is available at: http://people.apache.org/~cos/hadoop-2.0.4.1-alpha-rc0/
The RC tag in svn is here: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/tags/release-2.0.4.1-alpha-rc0

The maven artifacts are available via repository.apache.org.

Please try the release bits and vote; the vote will run for the usual 7 days.

Thanks for your voting
  Cos

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.0.4.1-alpha

Sangjin Lee
+1 (non-binding)

Thanks,
Sangjin

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 8:48 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
>
> I have created a release candidate (rc0) for hadoop-2.0.4.1-alpha that I
> would
> like to release.
>
> This is a stabilization release that includes fixed for a couple a of
> issues
> discovered in the testing with BigTop 0.6.0 release candidate.
>
> The RC is available at:
> http://people.apache.org/~cos/hadoop-2.0.4.1-alpha-rc0/
> The RC tag in svn is here:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/tags/release-2.0.4.1-alpha-rc0

> Please try the release bits and vote; the vote will run for the usual 7
> days.
>
> Thanks for your voting
>   Cos

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.0.4.1-alpha

Alejandro Abdelnur
+1, verified MD5 and signature. Did a full build, started pseudo cluster,
run a few MR jobs, verified httpfs works.

Thanks.

Alejandro

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.0.4.1-alpha

Chris Douglas
+1

Checksum and signature match, ran some unit tests, verified w/ a diff
of release-2.0.4-alpha that the release contains MAPREDUCE-5240 and
HADOOP-9407, plus some fixups to the release notes. -C

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 8:48 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
>
> I have created a release candidate (rc0) for hadoop-2.0.4.1-alpha that I would
> like to release.
>
> This is a stabilization release that includes fixed for a couple a of issues
> discovered in the testing with BigTop 0.6.0 release candidate.
>
> The RC is available at: http://people.apache.org/~cos/hadoop-2.0.4.1-alpha-rc0/
> The RC tag in svn is here: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/tags/release-2.0.4.1-alpha-rc0

> Please try the release bits and vote; the vote will run for the usual 7 days.
>
> Thanks for your voting
>   Cos

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.0.4.1-alpha

Anatoli Fomenko
+1 (non-binding)

Anatoli

Thanks for your voting
  Cos

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.0.4.1-alpha

Roman Shaposhnik-2
On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 8:48 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
>
> I have created a release candidate (rc0) for hadoop-2.0.4.1-alpha that I would
> like to release.
>
> This is a stabilization release that includes fixed for a couple a of issues
> discovered in the testing with BigTop 0.6.0 release candidate.
>
> The RC is available at: http://people.apache.org/~cos/hadoop-2.0.4.1-alpha-rc0/
> The RC tag in svn is here: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/tags/release-2.0.4.1-alpha-rc0

> Please try the release bits and vote; the vote will run for the usual 7 days.

+1 (non-binding).

Built complete Bigtop distribution on top of the proposed RC, ran integration
tests on Bigtop jenkins for both secure and unsecure deployments. Ran
Scoop 2 tests.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.0.4.1-alpha

Arun Murthy
I see you just re-opened MAPREUDCE-4211.

Why not include MAPREDUCE-4211 as well rather than create one release per patch?

Also, this is the first time we are seeing a four-numbered scheme in Hadoop. Why not call this 2.0.5-alpha?

Arun

On May 24, 2013, at 8:48 PM, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:

> All,
>
> I have created a release candidate (rc0) for hadoop-2.0.4.1-alpha that I would
> like to release.
>
> This is a stabilization release that includes fixed for a couple a of issues
> discovered in the testing with BigTop 0.6.0 release candidate.
>
> The RC is available at: http://people.apache.org/~cos/hadoop-2.0.4.1-alpha-rc0/
> The RC tag in svn is here: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/tags/release-2.0.4.1-alpha-rc0

> Please try the release bits and vote; the vote will run for the usual 7 days.
>
> Thanks for your voting
>  Cos

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.0.4.1-alpha

Arun Murthy
Sorry, it should be MAPREDUCE-5211 (not MAPREDUCE-4211).

thanks,
Arun

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 10:57AM, Arun C Murthy wrote:
> I see you just re-opened MAPREUDCE-5211.
>
> Why not include MAPREDUCE-5211 as well rather than create one release per patch?

Arun, it is unclear if MAPREDUCE-5211 has implications in 2.0.4 as per
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-5211?focusedCommentId=13670574&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13670574

Hence, there's a good chance that it never will be backported. And I don't
have any plans to created 'a release per patch'.

> Also, this is the first time we are seeing a four-numbered scheme in Hadoop.
> Why not call this 2.0.5-alpha?

There were precedents in four-numbered schemes before: 0.20.20[3-5].0 comes to
mind.

As for 2.0.5-alpha: The release numbering games and votes that had happened in
the last few weeks are very confusing. Some of them never been concluded, the
branches are moved and artifact versions seem to be colliding. 2.0.4.x seems
to work well for the stabilization purposes and it will allow to unblock
downstream and integration projects quickly.

Cos

> Arun
>
> On May 24, 2013, at 8:48 PM, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > I have created a release candidate (rc0) for hadoop-2.0.4.1-alpha that I would
> > like to release.
> >
> > This is a stabilization release that includes fixed for a couple a of issues
> > discovered in the testing with BigTop 0.6.0 release candidate.
> >
> > The RC is available at: http://people.apache.org/~cos/hadoop-2.0.4.1-alpha-rc0/
> > The RC tag in svn is here: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/tags/release-2.0.4.1-alpha-rc0
> >
> > The maven artifacts are available via repository.apache.org.
> >
> > Please try the release bits and vote; the vote will run for the usual 7 days.
> >
> > Thanks for your voting
> >  Cos

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.0.4.1-alpha

Konstantin Shvachko-2
+1
I verified checksums, the signature, built sources on CentOS, ran tests and
a few hadoop commands.

Thanks,
--Konst

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 8:48 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
>
> I have created a release candidate (rc0) for hadoop-2.0.4.1-alpha that I
> would
> like to release.
>
> This is a stabilization release that includes fixed for a couple a of
> issues
> discovered in the testing with BigTop 0.6.0 release candidate.
>
> The RC is available at:
> http://people.apache.org/~cos/hadoop-2.0.4.1-alpha-rc0/
> The RC tag in svn is here:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/tags/release-2.0.4.1-alpha-rc0

> Please try the release bits and vote; the vote will run for the usual 7
> days.
>
> Thanks for your voting
>   Cos

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.0.4.1-alpha

Konstantin Shvachko-2
> Why not call this 2.0.5-alpha?

Technically, current branch-2 uses 2.0.5-SNAPSHOT and produces maven
artifacts with that version.
So having another version with the same numbers will be confusing.
Therefore 4-level numbers.
I thought I mentioned it to you before.

Thanks,
--Konst

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 10:57 AM, Arun C Murthy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I see you just re-opened MAPREUDCE-4211.
>
> Why not include MAPREDUCE-4211 as well rather than create one release per
> patch?
>
> Also, this is the first time we are seeing a four-numbered scheme in
> Hadoop. Why not call this 2.0.5-alpha?
>
> Arun
>
> On May 24, 2013, at 8:48 PM, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > I have created a release candidate (rc0) for hadoop-2.0.4.1-alpha that I
> would
> > like to release.
> >
> > This is a stabilization release that includes fixed for a couple a of
> issues
> > discovered in the testing with BigTop 0.6.0 release candidate.
> >
> > The RC is available at:
> http://people.apache.org/~cos/hadoop-2.0.4.1-alpha-rc0/
> > The RC tag in svn is here:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/tags/release-2.0.4.1-alpha-rc0
> >
> > The maven artifacts are available via repository.apache.org.
> >
> > Please try the release bits and vote; the vote will run for the usual 7
> days.
> >
> > Thanks for your voting
> >  Cos

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.0.4.1-alpha

Chris Douglas
On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 10:57 AM, Arun C Murthy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Why not include MAPREDUCE-4211 as well rather than create one release per patch?

From Cos's description, it sounded like these were backports of fixes
to help Sqoop2 and fix some build issues. If it's not just to fixup
leftover bugs in 2.0.4 *once* so downstream projects can integrate
against 2.0.4.1, and this a release series, then I've completely
misunderstood the purpose.

Cos, are you planning 2.0.4.2?

> Also, this is the first time we are seeing a four-numbered scheme in Hadoop. Why not call this 2.0.5-alpha?

Good point. Since it contains only backports from branch-2, it would
make sense for it to be an intermediate release.

I shouldn't have to say this, but I'm changing my vote to -1 while we
work this out. -C

> On May 24, 2013, at 8:48 PM, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> I have created a release candidate (rc0) for hadoop-2.0.4.1-alpha that I would
>> like to release.
>>
>> This is a stabilization release that includes fixed for a couple a of issues
>> discovered in the testing with BigTop 0.6.0 release candidate.
>>
>> The RC is available at: http://people.apache.org/~cos/hadoop-2.0.4.1-alpha-rc0/
>> The RC tag in svn is here: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/tags/release-2.0.4.1-alpha-rc0

>> Please try the release bits and vote; the vote will run for the usual 7 days.
>>
>> Thanks for your voting
>>  Cos

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.0.4.1-alpha

Alejandro Abdelnur
On the version number we use, if it is greater than 2.0.4, I really don't
care. Though I think Konstantin argument that branch-2 is publishing as
2.0.5-SNAPSHOT has some ground (still, it could be argued that they are DEV
JARs so they can be  in flux).

On the changes that went into this RC, they are exactly a fix for Sqoop2 to
work with the release and a build fix for Bigtop. As far as I can tell
there is nothing else in this RC as compared with 2.0.4-alpha.

So, effectively, this RC is just a fixup of 2.0.4 for Sqoop and Bigtop.

MAPREDUCE-5211 seems nasty enough to be included.

But I'd leave that to the RM (Cos in this case) to decide if  he wants to
go ahead without  it and then do a 2.0.4.2. Personally i would cut a second
RC including MAPREDUCE-5211. But I don't think that not having it would be
reason enough for a -1 (if that is the reason for the -1).

Thanks.

Alejandro

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.0.4.1-alpha

Konstantin Boudnik-2
There's no misunderstanding Chris - this release is to unblock downstream.

As for your question: I don't have a crystal ball; I wish though. I think the
answer depends on will be there more blocking bugs found in the later releases
of Bigtop or other downstream components.
This is bugfix release and, I guess, if there are more bugs found in the
future - more releases would have to be cut. Isn't this is why the software is
being released?

Now, the -1: I am not clear about the justification. What exactly we expect to
"work out"?

Cos

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 01:48PM, Chris Douglas wrote:

> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 10:57 AM, Arun C Murthy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Why not include MAPREDUCE-4211 as well rather than create one release per patch?
>
> From Cos's description, it sounded like these were backports of fixes
> to help Sqoop2 and fix some build issues. If it's not just to fixup
> leftover bugs in 2.0.4 *once* so downstream projects can integrate
> against 2.0.4.1, and this a release series, then I've completely
> misunderstood the purpose.
>
> Cos, are you planning 2.0.4.2?
>
> > Also, this is the first time we are seeing a four-numbered scheme in Hadoop. Why not call this 2.0.5-alpha?
>
> Good point. Since it contains only backports from branch-2, it would
> make sense for it to be an intermediate release.
>
> I shouldn't have to say this, but I'm changing my vote to -1 while we
> work this out. -C
>
> > On May 24, 2013, at 8:48 PM, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:
> >
> >> All,
> >>
> >> I have created a release candidate (rc0) for hadoop-2.0.4.1-alpha that I would
> >> like to release.
> >>
> >> This is a stabilization release that includes fixed for a couple a of issues
> >> discovered in the testing with BigTop 0.6.0 release candidate.
> >>
> >> The RC is available at: http://people.apache.org/~cos/hadoop-2.0.4.1-alpha-rc0/
> >> The RC tag in svn is here: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/tags/release-2.0.4.1-alpha-rc0
> >>
> >> The maven artifacts are available via repository.apache.org.
> >>
> >> Please try the release bits and vote; the vote will run for the usual 7 days.
> >>
> >> Thanks for your voting
> >>  Cos

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.0.4.1-alpha

Matt Foley-2
Hi Cos,
I would also request that you renumber the release candidate to just
three-numbers, hence "2.0.5-alpha".

Arun, are you willing to start the 2.1.x name-space for your next release,
so that 2.0.x-alpha can become an intermediate stabilization branch as Cos
and Konst want?

I just think that using four-number schemes was symptomatic of the
near-forking we had back in the 0.20.xxx.y days, and I really don't want to
three significant numbers, the leading zero being inconsequential.

So, would you please consider using 2.0.5-alpha?

As for the "2.0.5-SNAPSHOT" in the branch-2 versioning, that's standard
usage.  Whoever makes the 2.0.5 release (or any "next" release) is expected
to update the parent branch's SNAPSHOT default versioning, per
HowToReleasePostMavenization#Branching<https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToReleasePostMavenization#Branching>,
step 6.

Thanks,
--Matt

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There's no misunderstanding Chris - this release is to unblock downstream.
>
> As for your question: I don't have a crystal ball; I wish though. I think the
> answer depends on will be there more blocking bugs found in the later releases
> of Bigtop or other downstream components.
> This is bugfix release and, I guess, if there are more bugs found in the
> future - more releases would have to be cut. Isn't this is why the software is
> being released?

Sure, but they're all backports from the release currently marked for
2.0.5. Either (a) these are really blocker bugs and we should roll a
patch release or (b) some bleeding-edge work needs to work around this
while branch-2 is released in the next few weeks. If it's not severe
enough to justify disrupting the versioning of snapshot maven
artifacts in branch-2, then we're clearly not in case (a).

I thought this was the result of extensive testing, and 2.0.4.1 was a
release to enable additional integration before 2.0.5. If we plan to
roll more releases as a subset of the bug fixes committed to branch-2
then just call it 2.0.5. Please make sure it- and any future,
intermediate release- is worth the disruption.

> Now, the -1: I am not clear about the justification. What exactly we expect to
> "work out"?

It's become fashionable to close threads and count votes in the middle
of the discussion. I changed my vote instead of trusting you. -C

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 03:18PM, Chris Douglas wrote:

> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > There's no misunderstanding Chris - this release is to unblock downstream.
> >
> > As for your question: I don't have a crystal ball; I wish though. I think the
> > answer depends on will be there more blocking bugs found in the later releases
> > of Bigtop or other downstream components.
> > This is bugfix release and, I guess, if there are more bugs found in the
> > future - more releases would have to be cut. Isn't this is why the software is
> > being released?
>
> Sure, but they're all backports from the release currently marked for
> 2.0.5. Either (a) these are really blocker bugs and we should roll a
> patch release or (b) some bleeding-edge work needs to work around this
> while branch-2 is released in the next few weeks. If it's not severe
> enough to justify disrupting the versioning of snapshot maven
> artifacts in branch-2, then we're clearly not in case (a).
>
> I thought this was the result of extensive testing, and 2.0.4.1 was a
> release to enable additional integration before 2.0.5. If we plan to
> roll more releases as a subset of the bug fixes committed to branch-2
> then just call it 2.0.5. Please make sure it- and any future,
> intermediate release- is worth the disruption.

There's no plans to release anything else at this point - this is a bug-fix
release, as I pointed out on a numerous occasions. There's no new features -
just 2 fixes.

2.0.5 matter became and still is too controversial at some point. The vote
started by Arun to override the results of the Konstantin's vote never been
closed. The downstream projects are handing in the middle of the air because
of that confusion.

> > Now, the -1: I am not clear about the justification. What exactly we expect to
> > "work out"?
>
> It's become fashionable to close threads and count votes in the middle
> of the discussion. I changed my vote instead of trusting you. -C

Have I missed something or you just called me a cheater and a lair right to my face?

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 03:11PM, Matt Foley wrote:
> Hi Cos,
> I would also request that you renumber the release candidate to just
> three-numbers, hence "2.0.5-alpha".
>
> Arun, are you willing to start the 2.1.x name-space for your next release,
> so that 2.0.x-alpha can become an intermediate stabilization branch as Cos
> and Konst want?

Let's get the facts straight, Matt, please: this "want" has been expressed in
the official vote here http://s.apache.org/ZMf Apparently, 2.0.5-alpha is
blocked now because of the another vote that hasn't been closed yet for
whatever reason. In order to unblock a number of releases in downstream
component I have moved forward with this release. Do you have any material
objections to the release that pursue this goal?

> I just think that using four-number schemes was symptomatic of the
> near-forking we had back in the 0.20.xxx.y days, and I really don't want to
> three significant numbers, the leading zero being inconsequential.

I dare to remind that forth part of the version is reserved - not in a
parallel universe, of course - for "patch level" aka bug fixes. It hardly can
be taken a sign of 'forking' by any definition.

Cos

> So, would you please consider using 2.0.5-alpha?
>
> As for the "2.0.5-SNAPSHOT" in the branch-2 versioning, that's standard
> usage.  Whoever makes the 2.0.5 release (or any "next" release) is expected
> to update the parent branch's SNAPSHOT default versioning, per
> HowToReleasePostMavenization#Branching<https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToReleasePostMavenization#Branching>,
> step 6.
>
> Thanks,
> --Matt
>

> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 11:52 AM, Konstantin Boudnik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 10:57AM, Arun C Murthy wrote:
> > > I see you just re-opened MAPREUDCE-5211.
> > >
> > > Why not include MAPREDUCE-5211 as well rather than create one release
> > per patch?
> >
> > Arun, it is unclear if MAPREDUCE-5211 has implications in 2.0.4 as per
> >
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-5211?focusedCommentId=13670574&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13670574
> >
> > Hence, there's a good chance that it never will be backported. And I don't
> > have any plans to created 'a release per patch'.
> >
> > > Also, this is the first time we are seeing a four-numbered scheme in
> > Hadoop.
> > > Why not call this 2.0.5-alpha?
> >
> > There were precedents in four-numbered schemes before: 0.20.20[3-5].0
> > comes to
> > mind.
> >
> > As for 2.0.5-alpha: The release numbering games and votes that had
> > happened in
> > the last few weeks are very confusing. Some of them never been concluded,
> > the
> > branches are moved and artifact versions seem to be colliding. 2.0.4.x
> > seems
> > to work well for the stabilization purposes and it will allow to unblock
> > downstream and integration projects quickly.
> >
> > Cos
> >
> > > Arun

> > I would

> > issues

> > http://people.apache.org/~cos/hadoop-2.0.4.1-alpha-rc0/
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/tags/release-2.0.4.1-alpha-rc0

> > 7 days.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.0.4.1-alpha

Jean-Daniel Cryans
FWIW, not that I have a dog in this fight, but the only release with a
4th number (not including .0 like the 0.20.20x releases did) we had
was:

http://hadoop.6.n7.nabble.com/VOTE-Release-0-17-2-1-rc-0-td13398.html

0.17.2 was missing some native libs so 0.17.2.1 was released to fix
that critical issue instead of calling it .3

J-D

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 04:08PM, Jean-Daniel Cryans wrote:
> FWIW, not that I have a dog in this fight, but the only release with a
> 4th number (not including .0 like the 0.20.20x releases did) we had
> was:
>
> http://hadoop.6.n7.nabble.com/VOTE-Release-0-17-2-1-rc-0-td13398.html
>
> 0.17.2 was missing some native libs so 0.17.2.1 was released to fix
> that critical issue instead of calling it .3

Exactly the point - the _bigfix_ release. Thanks for pointing out the
similarities.

Cos

> J-D
>
> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 3:52 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 03:11PM, Matt Foley wrote:
> >> Hi Cos,
> >> I would also request that you renumber the release candidate to just
> >> three-numbers, hence "2.0.5-alpha".
> >>
> >> Arun, are you willing to start the 2.1.x name-space for your next release,
> >> so that 2.0.x-alpha can become an intermediate stabilization branch as Cos
> >> and Konst want?
> >
> > Let's get the facts straight, Matt, please: this "want" has been expressed in
> > the official vote here http://s.apache.org/ZMf Apparently, 2.0.5-alpha is
> > blocked now because of the another vote that hasn't been closed yet for
> > whatever reason. In order to unblock a number of releases in downstream
> > component I have moved forward with this release. Do you have any material
> > objections to the release that pursue this goal?
> >
> >> I just think that using four-number schemes was symptomatic of the
> >> near-forking we had back in the 0.20.xxx.y days, and I really don't want to
> >> three significant numbers, the leading zero being inconsequential.
> >
> > I dare to remind that forth part of the version is reserved - not in a
> > parallel universe, of course - for "patch level" aka bug fixes. It hardly can
> > be taken a sign of 'forking' by any definition.
> >
> > Cos
> >
> >> So, would you please consider using 2.0.5-alpha?
> >>
> >> As for the "2.0.5-SNAPSHOT" in the branch-2 versioning, that's standard
> >> usage.  Whoever makes the 2.0.5 release (or any "next" release) is expected
> >> to update the parent branch's SNAPSHOT default versioning, per
> >> HowToReleasePostMavenization#Branching<https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToReleasePostMavenization#Branching>,
> >> step 6.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> --Matt