[VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.5 (RC0)

[VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.5 (RC0)

Sangjin Lee
Hi folks,

I have created a release candidate RC0 for the Apache Hadoop 2.6.5 release
(the next maintenance release in the 2.6.x release line). Below are the
details of this release candidate:

The RC is available for validation at:
http://home.apache.org/~sjlee/hadoop-2.6.5-RC0/.

The RC tag in git is release-2.6.5-RC0 and its git commit is
6939fc935fba5651fdb33386d88aeb8e875cf27a.

The maven artifacts are staged via repository.apache.org at:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1048/.

You can find my public key at
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/dist/KEYS.

Please try the release and vote. The vote will run for the usual 5 days.
Huge thanks to Chris Trezzo for spearheading the release management and
doing all the work!

Thanks,
Sangjin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.5 (RC0)

Lei Xu
+1

The steps I've done:

* Downloaded release tar and source tar, verified MD5.
* Run a HDFS cluster, and copy files between local filesystem and HDFS.

--
Lei (Eddy) Xu
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.5 (RC0)

Chris Trezzo
+1

Thanks Sangjin!

1. Verified md5 checksums and signature on src, and release tar.gz.
2. Built from source.
3. Started up a pseudo distributed cluster.
4. Successfully ran a PI job.
5. Ran the balancer.
6. Inspected UI for RM, NN, JobHistory.

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 4:11 PM, Lei Xu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> The steps I've done:
>
> * Downloaded release tar and source tar, verified MD5.
> * Run a HDFS cluster, and copy files between local filesystem and HDFS.
>

> On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 1:28 PM, Sangjin Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I have created a release candidate RC0 for the Apache Hadoop 2.6.5
> release
> > (the next maintenance release in the 2.6.x release line). Below are the
> > details of this release candidate:
> >
> > The RC is available for validation at:
> > http://home.apache.org/~sjlee/hadoop-2.6.5-RC0/.
> >
> > The RC tag in git is release-2.6.5-RC0 and its git commit is
> > 6939fc935fba5651fdb33386d88aeb8e875cf27a.
> >
> > The maven artifacts are staged via repository.apache.org at:
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1048/
> .
> >
> > You can find my public key at
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/dist/KEYS.
> >
> > Please try the release and vote. The vote will run for the usual 5 days.
> > Huge thanks to Chris Trezzo for spearheading the release management and
> > doing all the work!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Sangjin
>

> --
> Lei (Eddy) Xu
> Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.5 (RC0)

Ming Ma
+1

Successfully compiled a standalone HDFS app using the 2.6.5 jars extracted
from the release tar.gz.

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 10:33 AM, Chris Trezzo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> Thanks Sangjin!
>
> 1. Verified md5 checksums and signature on src, and release tar.gz.
> 2. Built from source.
> 3. Started up a pseudo distributed cluster.
> 4. Successfully ran a PI job.
> 5. Ran the balancer.
> 6. Inspected UI for RM, NN, JobHistory.
>
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 4:11 PM, Lei Xu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > +1
> >
> > The steps I've done:
> >
> > * Downloaded release tar and source tar, verified MD5.
> > * Run a HDFS cluster, and copy files between local filesystem and HDFS.
> >

> > On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 1:28 PM, Sangjin Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > I have created a release candidate RC0 for the Apache Hadoop 2.6.5
> > release
> > > (the next maintenance release in the 2.6.x release line). Below are the
> > > details of this release candidate:
> > >
> > > The RC is available for validation at:
> > > http://home.apache.org/~sjlee/hadoop-2.6.5-RC0/.
> > >
> > > The RC tag in git is release-2.6.5-RC0 and its git commit is
> > > 6939fc935fba5651fdb33386d88aeb8e875cf27a.
> > >
> > > The maven artifacts are staged via repository.apache.org at:
> > > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
> orgapachehadoop-1048/
> > .
> > >
> > > You can find my public key at
> > > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/dist/KEYS.
> > >
> > > Please try the release and vote. The vote will run for the usual 5
> days.
> > > Huge thanks to Chris Trezzo for spearheading the release management and
> > > doing all the work!
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Sangjin
> >

> > --
> > Lei (Eddy) Xu
> > Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.5 (RC0)

Sangjin Lee
Thanks Ming!

I know it's getting late on Friday, but I'd like to ask you folks to take a
little time to check out the release candidate and vote on it. That would
be fantastic. Thanks!

Sangjin

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 3:53 PM Ming Ma <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> Successfully compiled a standalone HDFS app using the 2.6.5 jars extracted
> from the release tar.gz.
>
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 10:33 AM, Chris Trezzo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > +1
> >
> > Thanks Sangjin!
> >
> > 1. Verified md5 checksums and signature on src, and release tar.gz.
> > 2. Built from source.
> > 3. Started up a pseudo distributed cluster.
> > 4. Successfully ran a PI job.
> > 5. Ran the balancer.
> > 6. Inspected UI for RM, NN, JobHistory.
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 4:11 PM, Lei Xu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > +1
> > >
> > > The steps I've done:
> > >
> > > * Downloaded release tar and source tar, verified MD5.
> > > * Run a HDFS cluster, and copy files between local filesystem and HDFS.

> > > release
> the

> > orgapachehadoop-1048/
> > > .

> > days.
> and

> > > --
> > > Lei (Eddy) Xu
> > > Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.5 (RC0)

Chris Douglas-2
+1 Verified checksum and signature. Unpacked the jar, started
single-node HDFS cluster, did some cursory checks.

Read through the commit log from 2.6.4; particularly happy to see
HADOOP-12893. -C

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 1:28 PM, Sangjin Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have created a release candidate RC0 for the Apache Hadoop 2.6.5 release
> (the next maintenance release in the 2.6.x release line). Below are the
> details of this release candidate:
>
> The RC is available for validation at:
> http://home.apache.org/~sjlee/hadoop-2.6.5-RC0/.
>
> The RC tag in git is release-2.6.5-RC0 and its git commit is
> 6939fc935fba5651fdb33386d88aeb8e875cf27a.
>
> The maven artifacts are staged via repository.apache.org at:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1048/.
>
> You can find my public key at
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/dist/KEYS.
>
> Please try the release and vote. The vote will run for the usual 5 days.
> Huge thanks to Chris Trezzo for spearheading the release management and
> doing all the work!
>
> Thanks,
> Sangjin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.5 (RC0)

John Zhuge
Hi Sangjin:

Thanks for preparing the release. Notice these lines
in CHANGES-YARN-2.6.5-RC0.txt:

<<<<<<< HEAD

>     YARN-4434. NodeManager Disk Checker parameter documentation is not
> correct.
>     (Weiwei Yang via aajisaka)
>
> Release 2.6.2 - 2015-10-28
> =======
>     YARN-3893. Both RM in active state when Admin#transitionToActive
> failure
>     from refeshAll() (Bibin A Chundatt via rohithsharmaks)
>
> Release 2.7.1 - 2015-07-06
> Admin#transitionToActive failure from refeshAll() (Bibin A Chundatt via
> rohithsharmaks)

Thanks,

John Zhuge
Software Engineer, Cloudera

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 1:28 PM, Sangjin Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have created a release candidate RC0 for the Apache Hadoop 2.6.5 release
> (the next maintenance release in the 2.6.x release line). Below are the
> details of this release candidate:
>
> The RC is available for validation at:
> http://home.apache.org/~sjlee/hadoop-2.6.5-RC0/.
>
> The RC tag in git is release-2.6.5-RC0 and its git commit is
> 6939fc935fba5651fdb33386d88aeb8e875cf27a.
>
> The maven artifacts are staged via repository.apache.org at:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1048/.
>
> You can find my public key at
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/dist/KEYS.
>
> Please try the release and vote. The vote will run for the usual 5 days.
> Huge thanks to Chris Trezzo for spearheading the release management and
> doing all the work!
>
> Thanks,
> Sangjin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.5 (RC0)

John Zhuge
+1 (non-binding)

- Verified checksums and signatures of the tarballs
- Built source with Java 1.8.0_101 on Centos 7.2 with native
- Built source with Java 1.7.0_79 on Mac
- Verified licenses and notices using verify-license-notice.sh
- Deployed a pseudo cluster

- Ran basic dfs, distcp, ACL, webhdfs commands
- Ran MapReduce workcount example
- Ran balancer

Thanks,
John

John Zhuge
Software Engineer, Cloudera

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 6:15 PM, Chris Douglas <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> +1 Verified checksum and signature. Unpacked the jar, started
> single-node HDFS cluster, did some cursory checks.
>
> Read through the commit log from 2.6.4; particularly happy to see
> HADOOP-12893. -C
>
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 1:28 PM, Sangjin Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I have created a release candidate RC0 for the Apache Hadoop 2.6.5
> release
> > (the next maintenance release in the 2.6.x release line). Below are the
> > details of this release candidate:
> >
> > The RC is available for validation at:
> > http://home.apache.org/~sjlee/hadoop-2.6.5-RC0/.
> >
> > The RC tag in git is release-2.6.5-RC0 and its git commit is
> > 6939fc935fba5651fdb33386d88aeb8e875cf27a.
> >
> > The maven artifacts are staged via repository.apache.org at:
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1048/
> .
> >
> > You can find my public key at
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/dist/KEYS.
> >
> > Please try the release and vote. The vote will run for the usual 5 days.
> > Huge thanks to Chris Trezzo for spearheading the release management and
> > doing all the work!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Sangjin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.5 (RC0)

Brahma Reddy Battula
Thanks Sangjin!

+1 ( non- binding)

--Downloaded the source and complied

--Installed HA cluster

--Verified basic fsshell commands

---Did the regression on issues which is handled by me

--Ran pi,terasort Slive jobs, all works fine.

Happy to see HDFS-9530.

Read through the commit log,Seems to be following commits are missed in changes.txt.

HDFS-10653

,HADOOP-13290

,HDFS-10544,

HADOOP-13255

,HADOOP-13189

--Brahma Reddy Battula

________________________________

Thanks,
Sangjin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.5 (RC0)

Sangjin Lee
Thanks John and Brahma for reporting issues with CHANGES.txt.

IMO, we can move ahead with the current RC0 and address these issues in a
commit after the release, but I'm not against cutting another RC to fix
CHANGES.txt. What do you think?

Thanks,
Sangjin

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 9:25 PM, Brahma Reddy Battula <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Sangjin!
>

> +1 ( non- binding)
>

> --Downloaded the source and complied
>
> --Installed HA cluster
>
> --Verified basic fsshell commands
>
> ---Did the regression on issues which is handled by me
>
> --Ran pi,terasort Slive jobs, all works fine.
>

> Happy to see HDFS-9530.
>

> Read through the commit log,Seems to be following commits are missed in
> changes.txt.
>

> HDFS-10653
>
> ,HADOOP-13290
>
> ,HDFS-10544,
>
> HADOOP-13255
>
> ,HADOOP-13189
>

> --Brahma Reddy Battula
>

> ------------------------------

I took a look at the commits that are part of 2.6.5, and sadly I count a
total of 18 of them that either are missing the corresponding entries or
have incorrect release versions in CHANGES.txt. And I'm not even thinking
about possible missing entries in earlier releases. :(

I think us committers need to pay greater attention to detail when we port
fixes to 2.6.x and 2.7.x where CHANGES.txt are still used. The rate of
missing entries in CHANGES.txt is too high.

Due to this high number of missing entries, I am leaning towards cutting
another RC where at least 2.6.5 entries all fixed. Let me know what you all
think (whether this is something that should stop the RC).

Regards,
Sangjin

On Sat, Oct 1, 2016 at 12:46 PM, Sangjin Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks John and Brahma for reporting issues with CHANGES.txt.
>
> IMO, we can move ahead with the current RC0 and address these issues in a
> commit after the release, but I'm not against cutting another RC to fix
> CHANGES.txt. What do you think?
>
> Thanks,
> Sangjin
>
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 9:25 PM, Brahma Reddy Battula <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Sangjin!
>>

>> +1 ( non- binding)
>>

>> --Downloaded the source and complied
>>
>> --Installed HA cluster
>>
>> --Verified basic fsshell commands
>>
>> ---Did the regression on issues which is handled by me
>>
>> --Ran pi,terasort Slive jobs, all works fine.
>>

>> Happy to see HDFS-9530.
>>

>> Read through the commit log,Seems to be following commits are missed in
>> changes.txt.
>>

>> HDFS-10653
>>
>> ,HADOOP-13290
>>
>> ,HDFS-10544,
>>
>> HADOOP-13255
>>
>> ,HADOOP-13189
>>

>> --Brahma Reddy Battula
>>

>> ------------------------------

I am not sure whether we can stop RC or not. But it will be good to have all commits in CHANGES.txt.

Theoretically it should be fine to ensure  bythetime vote pass(As there are no source code commit missed).Let's somebody else pitch in this.

Bytheway for branch-2.7, I raised HADOOP-13670 to track and even I sent mail for attention.

Thanks And Regards
Brahma Reddy Battula

________________________________

The maven artifacts are staged via repository.apache.org<http://repository.apache.org> at:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1048/.

You can find my public key at
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/dist/KEYS.

Please try the release and vote. The vote will run for the usual 5 days.
Huge thanks to Chris Trezzo for spearheading the release management and
doing all the work!

Thanks,
Sangjin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.5 (RC0)

Akira Ajisaka-2
-0 (binding)

- Downloaded source tarball and binary tarball
- Verified signatures and checksums
- Compiled successfully with both JDK6 and JDK7
- Compiled and built a single node cluster
- Compiled Hive 1.2.1 and Tez 0.7.1/0.8.4 using Hadoop 2.6.5 pom
successfully
- Ran some Hive on Tez/MRv2 queries successfully

As John and Brahma noticed, there are some missing entries in
CHANGES.txt. When upgrading to 2.6.5, most of admins look at the change
logs and see what bugs are fixed. Therefore I'm thinking the change logs
are important and they should be fixed.

Thanks,
Akira

On 9/28/16 05:28, Sangjin Lee wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have created a release candidate RC0 for the Apache Hadoop 2.6.5 release
> (the next maintenance release in the 2.6.x release line). Below are the
> details of this release candidate:
>
> The RC is available for validation at:
> http://home.apache.org/~sjlee/hadoop-2.6.5-RC0/.
>
> The RC tag in git is release-2.6.5-RC0 and its git commit is
> 6939fc935fba5651fdb33386d88aeb8e875cf27a.
>
> The maven artifacts are staged via repository.apache.org at:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1048/.
>
> You can find my public key at
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/dist/KEYS.
>
> Please try the release and vote. The vote will run for the usual 5 days.
> Huge thanks to Chris Trezzo for spearheading the release management and
> doing all the work!
>
> Thanks,
> Sangjin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.5 (RC0)

Sangjin Lee
I am canceling the vote for RC0, and will put up RC1 with the fixed
CHANGES.txt files soon. Thanks everyone!

Sangjin