[VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 3.0.0-alpha1 RC0

12

[VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 3.0.0-alpha1 RC0

Andrew Wang
Hi all,

Thanks to the combined work of many, many contributors, here's an RC0 for
3.0.0-alpha1:

http://home.apache.org/~wang/3.0.0-alpha1-RC0/

alpha1 is the first in a series of planned alpha releases leading up to GA.
The objective is to get an artifact out to downstreams for testing and to
iterate quickly based on their feedback. So, please keep that in mind when
voting; hopefully most issues can be addressed by future alphas rather than
future RCs.

Sorry for getting this out on a Tuesday, but I'd still like this vote to
run the normal 5 days, thus ending Saturday (9/3) at 9AM PDT. I'll extend
if we lack the votes.

Please try it out and let me know what you think.

Best,
Andrew

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 3.0.0-alpha1 RC0

Zhe Zhang-2
Thanks Andrew for the great work! It's really exciting to finally see a
Hadoop 3 RC.

I noticed CHANGES and RELEASENOTES markdown files which were not in
previous RCs like 2.7.3. What are good tools to verify them? I tried
reading them on IntelliJ but format looks odd.

I'm still testing the RC:
- Downloaded and verified checksum
- Built from source
- Will start small cluster and test simple programs, focusing on EC
functionalities

-- Zhe

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 8:51 AM Andrew Wang <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks to the combined work of many, many contributors, here's an RC0 for
> 3.0.0-alpha1:
>
> http://home.apache.org/~wang/3.0.0-alpha1-RC0/
>
> alpha1 is the first in a series of planned alpha releases leading up to GA.
> The objective is to get an artifact out to downstreams for testing and to
> iterate quickly based on their feedback. So, please keep that in mind when
> voting; hopefully most issues can be addressed by future alphas rather than
> future RCs.
>
> Sorry for getting this out on a Tuesday, but I'd still like this vote to
> run the normal 5 days, thus ending Saturday (9/3) at 9AM PDT. I'll extend
> if we lack the votes.
>
> Please try it out and let me know what you think.
>
> Best,
> Andrew

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 3.0.0-alpha1 RC0

Andrew Wang
I'll put my own +1 on it:

* Built from source
* Started pseudo cluster and ran Pi job successfully

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 10:17 AM, Zhe Zhang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Andrew for the great work! It's really exciting to finally see a
> Hadoop 3 RC.
>
> I noticed CHANGES and RELEASENOTES markdown files which were not in
> previous RCs like 2.7.3. What are good tools to verify them? I tried
> reading them on IntelliJ but format looks odd.
>
> I'm still testing the RC:
> - Downloaded and verified checksum
> - Built from source
> - Will start small cluster and test simple programs, focusing on EC
> functionalities
>
> -- Zhe
>
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 8:51 AM Andrew Wang <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Thanks to the combined work of many, many contributors, here's an RC0 for
>> 3.0.0-alpha1:
>>
>> http://home.apache.org/~wang/3.0.0-alpha1-RC0/
>>
>> alpha1 is the first in a series of planned alpha releases leading up to
>> GA.
>> The objective is to get an artifact out to downstreams for testing and to
>> iterate quickly based on their feedback. So, please keep that in mind when
>> voting; hopefully most issues can be addressed by future alphas rather
>> than
>> future RCs.
>>
>> Sorry for getting this out on a Tuesday, but I'd still like this vote to
>> run the normal 5 days, thus ending Saturday (9/3) at 9AM PDT. I'll extend
>> if we lack the votes.
>>
>> Please try it out and let me know what you think.
>>
>> Best,
>> Andrew

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 3.0.0-alpha1 RC0

Allen Wittenauer-6

> On Aug 30, 2016, at 10:17 AM, Zhe Zhang <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks Andrew for the great work! It's really exciting to finally see a
> Hadoop 3 RC.
>
> I noticed CHANGES and RELEASENOTES markdown files which were not in
> previous RCs like 2.7.3. What are good tools to verify them? I tried
> reading them on IntelliJ but format looks odd.

        The site tarball has them converted to HTML.  I've also re-run the versions that I keep on my gitlab account.  (Since the data comes from JIRA, the content should be the same but the format and ordering might be different since I use the master branch of Yetus.) https://gitlab.com/_a__w_/eco-release-metadata/tree/master/HADOOP/3.0.0-alpha1

        It also looks like IntelliJ has a few different markdown plug-ins.  You'll want one that supports what is generally referred to as MultiMarkdown or Github-Flavored Markdown (GFM) since releasedocmaker uses the table extension format found in that specification.  (It's an extremely common extension so I'm sure one of them supports it.)

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 3.0.0-alpha1 RC0

Eric Badger
All on OSX 10.11.6:
Verified the hashes. However, Andrew, I don't know where to find your public key, so I wasn't able to verify that they were signed by you.Built from sourceDeployed a pseudo-distributed clusterRan a few sample jobsPoked around the RM UIPoked around the attached website locally via the tarball
I did find one odd thing, though. It could be a misconfiguration on my system, but I've never had this problem before with other releases (though I deal almost exclusively in 2.x and so I imagine things might be different). When I run a sleep job, I do not see any diagnostics/logs/counters printed out by the client. Initially I ran the job like I would on 2.7 and it failed (because I had not set yarn.app.mapreduce.am.env and mapreduce.admin.user.env), but I didn't see anything until I looked at the RM UI. There I was able to see all of the logs for the failed job and diagnose the issue. Then, once I fixed my parameters and ran the job again, I still didn't see any diagnostics/logs/counters.
ebadger@foo: env | grep HADOOPHADOOP_HOME=/Users/ebadger/Downloads/hadoop-3.0.0-alpha1-src/hadoop-dist/target/hadoop-3.0.0-alpha1/HADOOP_CONF_DIR=/Users/ebadger/confebadger@foo: $HADOOP_HOME/bin/hadoop jar $HADOOP_HOME/share/hadoop/mapreduce/hadoop-mapreduce-client-jobclient-3.0.0-alpha1-tests.jar sleep -Dyarn.app.mapreduce.am.env="HADOOP_MAPRED_HOME=$HADOOP_HOME" -Dmapreduce.admin.user.env="HADOOP_MAPRED_HOME=$HADOOP_HOME" -mt 1 -rt 1 -m 1 -r 1WARNING: log4j.properties is not found. HADOOP_CONF_DIR may be incomplete.ebadger@foo:
After running the above command, the RM UI showed a successful job, but as you can see, I did not have anything printed onto the command line. Hopefully this is just a misconfiguration on my part, but I figured that I would point it out just in case.
Thanks,
Eric

    On Tuesday, August 30, 2016 12:58 PM, Andrew Wang <[hidden email]> wrote:

 I'll put my own +1 on it:

* Built from source
* Started pseudo cluster and ran Pi job successfully

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 10:17 AM, Zhe Zhang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Andrew for the great work! It's really exciting to finally see a
> Hadoop 3 RC.
>
> I noticed CHANGES and RELEASENOTES markdown files which were not in
> previous RCs like 2.7.3. What are good tools to verify them? I tried
> reading them on IntelliJ but format looks odd.
>
> I'm still testing the RC:
> - Downloaded and verified checksum
> - Built from source
> - Will start small cluster and test simple programs, focusing on EC
> functionalities
>
> -- Zhe
>
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 8:51 AM Andrew Wang <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Thanks to the combined work of many, many contributors, here's an RC0 for
>> 3.0.0-alpha1:
>>
>> http://home.apache.org/~wang/3.0.0-alpha1-RC0/
>>
>> alpha1 is the first in a series of planned alpha releases leading up to
>> GA.
>> The objective is to get an artifact out to downstreams for testing and to
>> iterate quickly based on their feedback. So, please keep that in mind when
>> voting; hopefully most issues can be addressed by future alphas rather
>> than
>> future RCs.
>>
>> Sorry for getting this out on a Tuesday, but I'd still like this vote to
>> run the normal 5 days, thus ending Saturday (9/3) at 9AM PDT. I'll extend
>> if we lack the votes.
>>
>> Please try it out and let me know what you think.
>>
>> Best,
>> Andrew

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 3.0.0-alpha1 RC0

Eric Badger
I don't know why my email client keeps getting rid of all of my spacing. Resending the same email so that it is actually legible...

On Tuesday, August 30, 2016 4:00 PM, Eric Badger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>> GA.
>> The objective is to get an artifact out to downstreams for testing and to
>> iterate quickly based on their feedback. So, please keep that in mind when
>> voting; hopefully most issues can be addressed by future alphas rather
>> than
>> future RCs.
>>
>> Sorry for getting this out on a Tuesday, but I'd still like this vote to
>> run the normal 5 days, thus ending Saturday (9/3) at 9AM PDT. I'll extend
>> if we lack the votes.
>>
>> Please try it out and let me know what you think.
>>
>> Best,
>> Andrew

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 3.0.0-alpha1 RC0

Allen Wittenauer-6

> On Aug 30, 2016, at 2:06 PM, Eric Badger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> WARNING: log4j.properties is not found. HADOOP_CONF_DIR may be incomplete.

        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> After running the above command, the RM UI showed a successful job, but as you can see, I did not have anything printed onto the command line. Hopefully this is just a misconfiguration on my part, but I figured that I would point it out just in case.

        It gave you a very important message in the output ...

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 3.0.0-alpha1 RC0

Andrew Wang
Hi Eric, thanks for trying this out,

I tried this gpg command to get my key, seemed to work:

# gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7501105C
gpg: requesting key 7501105C from hkp server pgp.mit.edu
gpg: /root/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
gpg: key 7501105C: public key "Andrew Wang (CODE SIGNING KEY) <
[hidden email]>" imported
gpg: no ultimately trusted keys found
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:               imported: 1  (RSA: 1)

Also found via search:
http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?search=wang%40apache.org&op=index

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 2:06 PM, Eric Badger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> http://home.apache.org/~wang/3.0.0-alpha1-RC0/
> >>
> >> alpha1 is the first in a series of planned alpha releases leading up to
> >> GA.
> >> The objective is to get an artifact out to downstreams for testing and
> >> iterate quickly based on their feedback. So, please keep that in mind
> when
> >> voting; hopefully most issues can be addressed by future alphas rather
> >> than
> >> future RCs.
> >>
> >> Sorry for getting this out on a Tuesday, but I'd still like this vote to
> >> run the normal 5 days, thus ending Saturday (9/3) at 9AM PDT. I'll
> extend
> >> if we lack the votes.
> >>
> >> Please try it out and let me know what you think.
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> Andrew

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 3.0.0-alpha1 RC0

Well that's embarrassing. I had accidentally slightly renamed my log4j.properties file in my conf directory, so it was there, just not being read. Apologies for the unnecessary spam. With this and the public key from Andrew, I give my non-binding +1.

Eric

On Tuesday, August 30, 2016 4:11 PM, Allen Wittenauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Aug 30, 2016, at 2:06 PM, Eric Badger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> WARNING: log4j.properties is not found. HADOOP_CONF_DIR may be incomplete.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> After running the above command, the RM UI showed a successful job, but as you can see, I did not have anything printed onto the command line. Hopefully this is just a misconfiguration on my part, but I figured that I would point it out just in case.

    It gave you a very important message in the output ...

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 3.0.0-alpha1 RC0

Allen Wittenauer-6

> On Aug 30, 2016, at 2:20 PM, Eric Badger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Well that's embarrassing. I had accidentally slightly renamed my log4j.properties file in my conf directory, so it was there, just not being read.

        Nah.  You were just testing out the shell rewrite's ability to detect a common error. ;)

        BTW, something else.. instead of doing env|grep HADOOP, you can do 'hadoop envvars' to get most of the good stuff.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 3.0.0-alpha1 RC0

Zhe Zhang-2
+1 (non-binding)

Did the following on 7 RHEL 6.6 servers
- Downloaded and built from source
- Downloaded and verified checksum of the binary tar.gz file
- Setup a cluster with 1 NN and 6 DNs
- Tried regular HDFS commands
- Tried EC commands (listPolicies, getPolicy, setPolicy), they work fine
- Verified that with a 3-2 policy, 1.67x capacity is used. Below is the
output after copying the binary tar.gz file into an EC folder. The file is
318MB.

Configured Capacity: 3221225472 (3 GB)
Present Capacity: 3215348743 (2.99 GB)
DFS Remaining: 2655666176 (2.47 GB)
DFS Used: 559682567 (533.75 MB)

Thanks Allen for clarifying on the markdown files. I also verified the site
html files (content of the index.html, randomly selected some links).

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 2:20 PM Eric Badger <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Well that's embarrassing. I had accidentally slightly renamed my
> log4j.properties file in my conf directory, so it was there, just not being
> read. Apologies for the unnecessary spam. With this and the public key from
> Andrew, I give my non-binding +1.
>
> Eric
>

> On Tuesday, August 30, 2016 4:11 PM, Allen Wittenauer <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > On Aug 30, 2016, at 2:06 PM, Eric Badger <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >

> > WARNING: log4j.properties is not found. HADOOP_CONF_DIR may be
> incomplete.
>
>     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>

> > After running the above command, the RM UI showed a successful job, but
> as you can see, I did not have anything printed onto the command line.
> Hopefully this is just a misconfiguration on my part, but I figured that I
> would point it out just in case.
>

>     It gave you a very important message in the output ...

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 3.0.0-alpha1 RC0

Sean Busbey
It's also the key Andrew has in the project's KEYS file:

http://www.apache.org/dist/hadoop/common/KEYS

--
busbey

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 3.0.0-alpha1 RC0

Aaron T. Myers
+1 (binding) from me. Downloaded the source, built from source, set up a
pseudo cluster, and ran a few of the sample jobs.

Thanks a lot for doing all this release work, Andrew.

--
Aaron T. Myers
Software Engineer, Cloudera

wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks to the combined work of many, many contributors, here's an RC0 for
> 3.0.0-alpha1:
>
> http://home.apache.org/~wang/3.0.0-alpha1-RC0/
>
> alpha1 is the first in a series of planned alpha releases leading up to GA.
> The objective is to get an artifact out to downstreams for testing and to
> iterate quickly based on their feedback. So, please keep that in mind when
> voting; hopefully most issues can be addressed by future alphas rather than
> future RCs.
>
> Sorry for getting this out on a Tuesday, but I'd still like this vote to
> run the normal 5 days, thus ending Saturday (9/3) at 9AM PDT. I'll extend
> if we lack the votes.
>
> Please try it out and let me know what you think.
>
> Best,
> Andrew

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 3.0.0-alpha1 RC0

Gangumalla, Uma
+1 (binding).

Overall it¹s a great effort, Andrew. Thank you for putting all the energy.

Downloaded and built.
Ran some sample jobs.

I would love to see all this efforts will lead to get the GA from Hadoop
3.X soon.

Regards,
Uma

On 8/30/16, 8:51 AM, "Andrew Wang" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Thanks to the combined work of many, many contributors, here's an RC0 for
>3.0.0-alpha1:
>
>http://home.apache.org/~wang/3.0.0-alpha1-RC0/
>
>alpha1 is the first in a series of planned alpha releases leading up to
>GA.
>The objective is to get an artifact out to downstreams for testing and to
>iterate quickly based on their feedback. So, please keep that in mind when
>voting; hopefully most issues can be addressed by future alphas rather
>than
>future RCs.
>
>Sorry for getting this out on a Tuesday, but I'd still like this vote to
>run the normal 5 days, thus ending Saturday (9/3) at 9AM PDT. I'll extend
>if we lack the votes.
>
>Please try it out and let me know what you think.
>
>Best,
>Andrew

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 3.0.0-alpha1 RC0

John Zhuge
+1 (non-binding)

- Build source with Java 1.8.0_101 on Centos 6.6 without native
- Verify license and notice using the shell script in HADOOP-13374
- Deploy a pseudo cluster
- Run basic dfs, distcp, ACL, webhdfs commands
- Run MapReduce workcount and pi examples
- Run balancer

Thanks,
John

John Zhuge
Software Engineer, Cloudera

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 11:46 AM, Gangumalla, Uma <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> +1 (binding).
>
> Overall it¹s a great effort, Andrew. Thank you for putting all the energy.
>
> Downloaded and built.
> Ran some sample jobs.
>
> I would love to see all this efforts will lead to get the GA from Hadoop
> 3.X soon.
>
> Regards,
> Uma
>

> On 8/30/16, 8:51 AM, "Andrew Wang" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >Thanks to the combined work of many, many contributors, here's an RC0 for
> >3.0.0-alpha1:
> >
> >http://home.apache.org/~wang/3.0.0-alpha1-RC0/
> >
> >alpha1 is the first in a series of planned alpha releases leading up to
> >GA.
> >The objective is to get an artifact out to downstreams for testing and to
> >iterate quickly based on their feedback. So, please keep that in mind when
> >voting; hopefully most issues can be addressed by future alphas rather
> >than
> >future RCs.
> >
> >Sorry for getting this out on a Tuesday, but I'd still like this vote to
> >run the normal 5 days, thus ending Saturday (9/3) at 9AM PDT. I'll extend
> >if we lack the votes.
> >
> >Please try it out and let me know what you think.
> >
> >Best,
> >Andrew

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 3.0.0-alpha1 RC0

Rakesh Radhakrishnan
Thanks for getting this out.

+1 (non-binding)

- downloaded and built tarball from source
- deployed HDFS-HA cluster and tested few EC file operations
- executed few hdfs commands including EC commands
- viewed basic UI
- ran some of the sample jobs

Best Regards,
Rakesh
Intel

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 6:19 AM, John Zhuge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 (non-binding)
>
> - Build source with Java 1.8.0_101 on Centos 6.6 without native
> - Verify license and notice using the shell script in HADOOP-13374
> - Deploy a pseudo cluster
> - Run basic dfs, distcp, ACL, webhdfs commands
> - Run MapReduce workcount and pi examples
> - Run balancer
>
> Thanks,
> John
>
> John Zhuge
> Software Engineer, Cloudera
>
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 11:46 AM, Gangumalla, Uma <
> [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > +1 (binding).
> >
> > Overall it¹s a great effort, Andrew. Thank you for putting all the
> energy.
> >
> > Downloaded and built.
> > Ran some sample jobs.
> >
> > I would love to see all this efforts will lead to get the GA from Hadoop
> > 3.X soon.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Uma
> >

> > On 8/30/16, 8:51 AM, "Andrew Wang" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > >Hi all,
> > >
> > >Thanks to the combined work of many, many contributors, here's an RC0
> for
> > >3.0.0-alpha1:
> > >
> > >http://home.apache.org/~wang/3.0.0-alpha1-RC0/
> > >
> > >alpha1 is the first in a series of planned alpha releases leading up to
> > >GA.
> > >The objective is to get an artifact out to downstreams for testing and
> > >iterate quickly based on their feedback. So, please keep that in mind
> when
> > >voting; hopefully most issues can be addressed by future alphas rather
> > >than
> > >future RCs.
> > >
> > >Sorry for getting this out on a Tuesday, but I'd still like this vote to
> > >run the normal 5 days, thus ending Saturday (9/3) at 9AM PDT. I'll
> extend
> > >if we lack the votes.
> > >
> > >Please try it out and let me know what you think.
> > >
> > >Best,
> > >Andrew

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 3.0.0-alpha1 RC0

Xiao Chen
+1 (non-binding)

Thanks Andrew for putting this up! Super excited to see a Hadoop 3 RC.

Verifications done on OS X:
- Verified md5 on all files
- Spot checked release notes and changes
- Built from source
- Verified LICENSE and NOTICE are correctly contained in the jars built
- Started pseudo-distributed HDFS, verified basic operations work.
- Started KMS service, verified basic KMS operations work, a simple
encryption zone works.
- Sanity checked NN webui.

Best,
-Xiao

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 9:25 PM, Rakesh Radhakrishnan <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thanks for getting this out.
>
> +1 (non-binding)
>
> - downloaded and built tarball from source
> - deployed HDFS-HA cluster and tested few EC file operations
> - executed few hdfs commands including EC commands
> - viewed basic UI
> - ran some of the sample jobs
>

> Best Regards,
> Rakesh
> Intel
>
> On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 6:19 AM, John Zhuge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > +1 (non-binding)
> >
> > - Build source with Java 1.8.0_101 on Centos 6.6 without native
> > - Verify license and notice using the shell script in HADOOP-13374
> > - Deploy a pseudo cluster
> > - Run basic dfs, distcp, ACL, webhdfs commands
> > - Run MapReduce workcount and pi examples
> > - Run balancer
> >
> > Thanks,
> > John
> >
> > John Zhuge
> > Software Engineer, Cloudera
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 11:46 AM, Gangumalla, Uma <
> > [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > +1 (binding).
> > >
> > > Overall it¹s a great effort, Andrew. Thank you for putting all the
> > energy.
> > >
> > > Downloaded and built.
> > > Ran some sample jobs.
> > >
> > > I would love to see all this efforts will lead to get the GA from
> Hadoop
> > > 3.X soon.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Uma

> > for

> > when

> > extend

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 3.0.0-alpha1 RC0

Andrew Wang
Steve requested a git hash for this release. This led us into a brief
discussion of our use of git tags, wherein we realized that although
release tags are immutable (start with "rel/"), RC tags are not. This is
based on the HowToRelease instructions.

I asked in infra.chat about this, and filed a JIRA per their request. I'll
update the tags and release instructions once we have guidance.

For now though, here's the tag I pushed (email is immutable):

object a990d2ebcd6de5d7dc2d3684930759b0f0ea4dc3
type commit
tag release-3.0.0-alpha1-RC0
tagger Andrew Wang <[hidden email]> 1472541776 -0700

Release candidate - 3.0.0-alpha1-RC0
gpg: Signature made Tue 30 Aug 2016 12:22:56 AM PDT using RSA key ID
7501105C
gpg: Good signature from "Andrew Wang (CODE SIGNING KEY) <
[hidden email]>"
gpg:                 aka "Andrew Wang (CODE SIGNING KEY) <[hidden email]>"

wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks to the combined work of many, many contributors, here's an RC0 for
> 3.0.0-alpha1:
>
> http://home.apache.org/~wang/3.0.0-alpha1-RC0/
>
> alpha1 is the first in a series of planned alpha releases leading up to
> GA. The objective is to get an artifact out to downstreams for testing and
> to iterate quickly based on their feedback. So, please keep that in mind
> when voting; hopefully most issues can be addressed by future alphas rather
> than future RCs.
>
> Sorry for getting this out on a Tuesday, but I'd still like this vote to
> run the normal 5 days, thus ending Saturday (9/3) at 9AM PDT. I'll extend
> if we lack the votes.
>
> Please try it out and let me know what you think.
>
> Best,
> Andrew

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 3.0.0-alpha1 RC0

Chen He
+1 non-binding

download source and build successfully;
deploy to single node cluster;
run wordcount and loadgen passed;
Verified that MR-6336 is there and FileOutputCommitter is using algorithm 2
by default.

Best Regards!

Chen

wrote:

> Thanks for getting this out.
>
> +1 (non-binding)
>
> - downloaded and built tarball from source
> - deployed HDFS-HA cluster and tested few EC file operations
> - executed few hdfs commands including EC commands
> - viewed basic UI
> - ran some of the sample jobs
>

> Best Regards,
> Rakesh
> Intel
>
> On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 6:19 AM, John Zhuge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > +1 (non-binding)
> >
> > - Build source with Java 1.8.0_101 on Centos 6.6 without native
> > - Verify license and notice using the shell script in HADOOP-13374
> > - Deploy a pseudo cluster
> > - Run basic dfs, distcp, ACL, webhdfs commands
> > - Run MapReduce workcount and pi examples
> > - Run balancer
> >
> > Thanks,
> > John
> >
> > John Zhuge
> > Software Engineer, Cloudera
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 11:46 AM, Gangumalla, Uma <
> > [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > +1 (binding).
> > >
> > > Overall it¹s a great effort, Andrew. Thank you for putting all the
> > energy.
> > >
> > > Downloaded and built.
> > > Ran some sample jobs.
> > >
> > > I would love to see all this efforts will lead to get the GA from
> Hadoop
> > > 3.X soon.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Uma

> > for

> > when

> > extend

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 3.0.0-alpha1 RC0

Allen Wittenauer-6

> On Sep 1, 2016, at 2:57 PM, Andrew Wang <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Steve requested a git hash for this release. This led us into a brief
> discussion of our use of git tags, wherein we realized that although
> release tags are immutable (start with "rel/"), RC tags are not. This is
> based on the HowToRelease instructions.

        We should probably embed the git hash in one of the files that gets gpg signed.  That's an easy change to create-release.

12