[VOTE] Release Apache Nutch 0.9

123

[VOTE] Release Apache Nutch 0.9

chrismattmann
Hi Folks,

I have posted a candidate for the Apache Nutch 0.9 release at

 http://people.apache.org/~mattmann/nutch_0.9/

See the included CHANGES-0.9.txt file for details on release
contents and latest changes. The release was made from the 0.9-dev trunk.

Please vote on releasing these packages as Apache Nutch 0.9.
The vote is open for the next 72 hours. Only votes from Nutch
committers are binding, but everyone is welcome to check the release
candidate and voice their approval or disapproval. The vote  passes if
at least three binding +1 votes are cast.

[ ] +1 Release the packages as Apache Nutch 0.9
[ ] -1 Do not release the packages because...

Thanks!

Cheers,
  Chris

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Nutch 0.9

Sean Dean-3
+1 for my official non-binding vote :)

You might want to correct the word "confiquration" at "1." in CHANGES-0.9.txt, and CHANGES.txt inside the package.

Everything else looks great and more importantly, runs! Good work guys.

Cheers,
  Chris

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Nutch 0.9

Sami Siren-2
Chris,

A very limited acid test shows that I can do crawling and searching
through web app so that part is ok.

About signatures: I can't find your public gpg key anywhere (to verify
the signature), not in KEYS file nor in keyservers I checked. Am i just
blind?

The md5 format used differs from rest of lucene sub projects. To create
it in similar format as the rest of lucene one could use

  md5sum <file> > <file>.md5

We should probably adopt to same convention or wdot?

 Sami Siren

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Nutch 0.9

chrismattmann
Hi Sami,

> A very limited acid test shows that I can do crawling and searching
> through web app so that part is ok.

Great! Similar tests of my own showed the same.

> About signatures: I can't find your public gpg key anywhere (to verify
> the signature), not in KEYS file nor in keyservers I checked. Am i just
> blind?

Yeah, in my release log, I actually noted this. I was having a hard time
figuring out how to generate my public gpg key. Do you know what command to
run? I know where the KEYS file is in the dist directory, so I'm guessing I
just:

1. Generate my public gpg key (I already have my private one I guess)
2. Add that public gpg key to the KEYS file in the Nutch dist directory on
pepole.apache.org

Am I right about this? If so, could you tell me the command to run to
generate my public gpg key?

> The md5 format used differs from rest of lucene sub projects.

According to the Apache sign and release guide (
http://www.apache.org/dev/mirror-step-by-step.html?Step-By-Step), I ran the
following command:

openssl md5 < nutch-0.9.tar.gz > nutch-0.9.tar.gz.md5

> To create
> it in similar format as the rest of lucene one could use
>
>   md5sum <file> > <file>.md5
>
> We should probably adopt to same convention or wdot?

It's fine by me, but, just for my reference, what's the difference between
using the openssl md5 versus md5sum? If you want me to regenerate it, just
let me know...

Cheers,
  Chris

> --
>  Sami Siren

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Nutch 0.9

chrismattmann
I've gone ahead and figured out how to generate my GPG public key :-) It
wasn't as hard as I thought. Anyways, I placed my gpg.txt file in:

~mattmann/gpg.txt

On people.apache.org. I've also added my GPG key to the KEYS file in the
nutch dist directory, /www/www.apache.org/dist/lucene/nutch/, using the same
convention as the others. To get the header, I did a gpg --list-keys.

Thanks!

Cheers,
  Chris

2007/3/27, Chris Mattmann <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Sami,
>
> > About signatures: I can't find your public gpg key anywhere (to verify
> > the signature), not in KEYS file nor in keyservers I checked. Am i just
> > blind?
>
> Yeah, in my release log, I actually noted this. I was having a hard time
> figuring out how to generate my public gpg key. Do you know what command
> run? I know where the KEYS file is in the dist directory, so I'm guessing
> just:
>
> 1. Generate my public gpg key (I already have my private one I guess)
> 2. Add that public gpg key to the KEYS file in the Nutch dist directory on
> pepole.apache.org
>
> Am I right about this? If so, could you tell me the command to run to
> generate my public gpg key?

You could try to follow the instructions from KEYS.txt from solr project:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/solr/trunk/KEYS.txt

> > The md5 format used differs from rest of lucene sub projects.
>
> According to the Apache sign and release guide (
> http://www.apache.org/dev/mirror-step-by-step.html?Step-By-Step), I ran
> the
> following command:
>
> openssl md5 < nutch-0.9.tar.gz > nutch-0.9.tar.gz.md5

yes i know, earlier nutch releases had yet another format.

> To create
> > it in similar format as the rest of lucene one could use
> >
> >   md5sum <file> > <file>.md5
> >
> > We should probably adopt to same convention or wdot?
>
> It's fine by me, but, just for my reference, what's the difference between
> using the openssl md5 versus md5sum? If you want me to regenerate it, just
> let me know...

Well the sum itself is obviously the same :) The point in this is to use
same
conventions in Lucene family, not strictly required, but still IMO it just
looks better.

 Sami Siren

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Nutch 0.9

chrismattmann
Hey Sami,

> Well the sum itself is obviously the same :) The point in this is to use
> same
> conventions in Lucene family, not strictly required, but still IMO it just
> looks better.

Okey dok -- I will run the md5sum command, and generate a .md5 for the nutch
release that matches that.

I will put it in the same place as the current md5 -- it should be there in
5 mins.

Thanks!

Cheers,
  Chris

 Sami Siren

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Nutch 0.9

Otis Gospodnetic-2-2
+1

Otis

Simpy -- http://www.simpy.com/  -  Tag  -  Search  -  Share

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Nutch 0.9

Dennis Kubes
[X] +1 Release the packages as Apache Nutch 0.9
[ ] -1 Do not release the packages because...

I have been running some bigger crawls with the release this morning.
Everything looks good.

Dennis Kubes

Chris Mattmann wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I have posted a candidate for the Apache Nutch 0.9 release at
>
>  http://people.apache.org/~mattmann/nutch_0.9/
>
> See the included CHANGES-0.9.txt file for details on release
> contents and latest changes. The release was made from the 0.9-dev trunk.
>
> Please vote on releasing these packages as Apache Nutch 0.9.
> The vote is open for the next 72 hours. Only votes from Nutch
> committers are binding, but everyone is welcome to check the release
> candidate and voice their approval or disapproval. The vote  passes if
> at least three binding +1 votes are cast.
>
> [ ] +1 Release the packages as Apache Nutch 0.9
> [ ] -1 Do not release the packages because...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Cheers,
>   Chris

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Nutch 0.9

Dennis Kubes
I spoke too soon.  Below is the output of errors on mergesegs.  This
looks more like a Hadoop issue to me, but I will need to dig into it.
It also may be something that I am doing on my end.  This was a merge of
three different crawls of 50K each.  I don't know if we want to delay or
go ahead.

Dennis Kubes

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.nutch.metadata.MetaWrapper
        at org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration.getClass(Configuration.java:344)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobConf.getOutputValueClass(JobConf.java:451)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobConf.getMapOutputValueClass(JobConf.java:414)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.MapTask$MapOutputBuffer.(MapTask.java:270)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskTracker$Child.main(TaskTracker.java:1445)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.nutch.metadata.MetaWrapper
        at org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration.getClass(Configuration.java:328)
        at org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration.getClass(Configuration.java:339)
        ... 5 more
org.apache.nutch.metadata.MetaWrapper
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:268)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration.getClassByName(Configuration.java:315)
        at org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration.getClass(Configuration.java:326)
        ... 6 more

Dennis Kubes wrote:

> [X] +1 Release the packages as Apache Nutch 0.9
> [ ] -1 Do not release the packages because...
>
> I have been running some bigger crawls with the release this morning.
> Everything looks good.
>
> Dennis Kubes
>
> Chris Mattmann wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I have posted a candidate for the Apache Nutch 0.9 release at
>>
>>  http://people.apache.org/~mattmann/nutch_0.9/
>>
>> See the included CHANGES-0.9.txt file for details on release
>> contents and latest changes. The release was made from the 0.9-dev trunk.
>>
>> Please vote on releasing these packages as Apache Nutch 0.9.
>> The vote is open for the next 72 hours. Only votes from Nutch
>> committers are binding, but everyone is welcome to check the release
>> candidate and voice their approval or disapproval. The vote  passes if
>> at least three binding +1 votes are cast.
>>
>> [ ] +1 Release the packages as Apache Nutch 0.9
>> [ ] -1 Do not release the packages because...
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Cheers,
>>   Chris

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Nutch 0.9

Dennis Kubes
This is definitely a hadoop problem.  This is similar to the classpath
issues that we were encountering before with Hadoop and the
ReductTaskRunner.  When I include the nutch-*.jar in the hadoop class
path the errors go away.  Not a fix but it proves the point that this is
an issue with Hadoop class loading.

Dennis Kubes

Dennis Kubes wrote:

> [...]
>> Everything looks good.
>>
>> Dennis Kubes
>>
>> Chris Mattmann wrote:
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> I have posted a candidate for the Apache Nutch 0.9 release at
>>>
>>>  http://people.apache.org/~mattmann/nutch_0.9/
>>>
>>> See the included CHANGES-0.9.txt file for details on release
>>> contents and latest changes. The release was made from the 0.9-dev
>>> trunk.
>>>
>>> Please vote on releasing these packages as Apache Nutch 0.9.
>>> The vote is open for the next 72 hours. Only votes from Nutch
>>> committers are binding, but everyone is welcome to check the release
>>> candidate and voice their approval or disapproval. The vote  passes if
>>> at least three binding +1 votes are cast.
>>>
>>> [ ] +1 Release the packages as Apache Nutch 0.9
>>> [ ] -1 Do not release the packages because...

Doğacan Güney-3
Hi,

On 3/28/07, Dennis Kubes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is definitely a hadoop problem.  This is similar to the classpath
> issues that we were encountering before with Hadoop and the
> ReductTaskRunner.  When I include the nutch-*.jar in the hadoop class
> path the errors go away.  Not a fix but it proves the point that this is
> an issue with Hadoop class loading.
>
> Dennis Kubes

Dennis, you were running SegmentMerger, I presume? This occurs probably
because in SegmentMerger and SegmentReader's dump Nutch uses JobConf instead
of NutchJob. Because of this Hadoop can't find the necessary job file.

I put a simple patch at
http://www.ceng.metu.edu.tr/~e1345172/use-nutch-job.patch . Can you try it
with this?

Doğacan Güney

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Nutch 0.9

Andrzej Białecki-2
Doğacan Güney wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 3/28/07, Dennis Kubes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This is definitely a hadoop problem.  This is similar to the classpath
>> issues that we were encountering before with Hadoop and the
>> ReductTaskRunner.  When I include the nutch-*.jar in the hadoop class
>> path the errors go away.  Not a fix but it proves the point that this is
>> an issue with Hadoop class loading.
>>
>> Dennis Kubes
>>

> Dennis, you were running SegmentMerger, I presume? This occurs probably
> because in SegmentMerger and SegmentReader's dump Nutch uses JobConf
> instead
> of NutchJob. Because of this Hadoop can't find the necessary job file.
>
> I put a simple patch at
> http://www.ceng.metu.edu.tr/~e1345172/use-nutch-job.patch . Can you try it
> with this?

Duh, the patch seems to be exactly what's needed - thanks Doğacan!

In the future we should rework the test suite to execute using a "clean"
Hadoop installation, i.e. one where Hadoop daemons are started without
Nutch classes on the classpath.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Nutch 0.9

Dennis Kubes
Yes.  This seems to have fixed the problem.  All, do we want to create a
JIRA and commit this for the 0.9 release?

Dennis

Andrzej Bialecki wrote:

> Doğacan Güney wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 3/28/07, Dennis Kubes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> This is definitely a hadoop problem.  This is similar to the classpath
>>> issues that we were encountering before with Hadoop and the
>>> ReductTaskRunner.  When I include the nutch-*.jar in the hadoop class
>>> path the errors go away.  Not a fix but it proves the point that this is
>>> an issue with Hadoop class loading.
>>>
>>> Dennis Kubes
>>>

>> Dennis, you were running SegmentMerger, I presume? This occurs probably
>> because in SegmentMerger and SegmentReader's dump Nutch uses JobConf
>> instead
>> of NutchJob. Because of this Hadoop can't find the necessary job file.
>>
>> I put a simple patch at
>> http://www.ceng.metu.edu.tr/~e1345172/use-nutch-job.patch . Can you
>> try it
>> with this?
>>

> Duh, the patch seems to be exactly what's needed - thanks Doğacan!
>
> In the future we should rework the test suite to execute using a "clean"
> Hadoop installation, i.e. one where Hadoop daemons are started without
> Nutch classes on the classpath.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Nutch 0.9

Stack-6
Dennis Kubes wrote:
> Yes.  This seems to have fixed the problem.  All, do we want to create
> a JIRA and commit this for the 0.9 release?
FYI, this looks like NUTCH-333:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NUTCH-333.
St.Ack

Dennis Kubes wrote:
> Yes.  This seems to have fixed the problem.  All, do we want to create a
> JIRA and commit this for the 0.9 release?

It should definitely go into the release, and we need a patch for the
trunk/ .

Actually, I'm somewhat surprised that we have tags/release-0.9 but we
don't yet have branches/branch-0.9 ...

I think I'm confused, or the release procedure is confused. My
understanding so far was that we first create a branch-0.9, we test the
build from that branch and if it passes all tests and the wait period is
over, then we copy it to tags/release-0.9 and proclaim a release - which
is really a read-only branch, i.e. we don't ever commit any patches to
it ... If that were the case, then we still wouldn't have the
release-0.9 tag, we could have applied the patch in branch-0.9, plus
possibly other patches, and then finally tag this tree as tags/release-0.9.

As it is now we are in an awkward situation that we have to patch
tags/release-0.9 ..

One solution would be now to delete this tag, apply the patch to trunk,
create branches/branch-0.9, and continue applying any other patches that
may come up during this testing period - and when we are finally happy
with the codebase then take a snapshot into tags/release-0.9, and keep
it read-only.

Another solution is to bend the rules and apply the patch to trunk/ and
then merge from the trunk to tags/release-0.9 .

What do you think?

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Nutch 0.9

chrismattmann
Well, it's just going to add more work for me, but in the end, it's probably
something that needs to be in there. I could go either way on this though,
as in, if we don't commit it, 0.9.1 shouldn't be far off. Here's my +1 for
going ahead and committing it...

On 3/28/07 10:21 AM, "Dennis Kubes" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes.  This seems to have fixed the problem.  All, do we want to create a
> JIRA and commit this for the 0.9 release?
>
> Dennis
>
> Andrzej Bialecki wrote:
>> Doğacan Güney wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> Dennis, you were running SegmentMerger, I presume? This occurs probably
>>> because in SegmentMerger and SegmentReader's dump Nutch uses JobConf
>>> instead
>>> of NutchJob. Because of this Hadoop can't find the necessary job file.
>>>
>>> I put a simple patch at
>>> http://www.ceng.metu.edu.tr/~e1345172/use-nutch-job.patch . Can you
>>> try it
>>> with this?
>>>

>> Duh, the patch seems to be exactly what's needed - thanks Doğacan!
>>
>> In the future we should rework the test suite to execute using a "clean"
>> Hadoop installation, i.e. one where Hadoop daemons are started without
>> Nutch classes on the classpath.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Nutch 0.9

chrismattmann
Folks,

 Discussing this with Andrzej, and reading his email below, I tend to agree
more with this procedure below. I would like to call for a vote to change
the existing as-documented procedure (on the wiki) to branch first, do
testing in  branch (apply patches where needed), and then when the branch is
blessed (e.g., 3 binding votes from committers in favor of it), tag it, and
make a release. Sound good?

 In terms of next steps with what we have now, that boils down to:

1. delete tags/release-0.9
2. apply patch to trunk
3. create branches/branch-0.9
4. have dennis test again (large scale)
5. if all goes well, finish release process
6. tag tags/release-0.9

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Cheers,
  Chris

Chris Mattmann wrote:
> Folks,
>
>  Discussing this with Andrzej, and reading his email below, I tend to agree
> more with this procedure below. I would like to call for a vote to change
> the existing as-documented procedure (on the wiki) to branch first, do
> testing in  branch (apply patches where needed), and then when the branch is
> blessed (e.g., 3 binding votes from committers in favor of it), tag it, and
> make a release. Sound good?

+1

The current wiki doesn't really specify the order.  I think we should
follow the current conventions of Hadoop...which is the branch then tag
but with some other steps as well for merging trunk to branches.

>  In terms of next steps with what we have now, that boils down to:
>
> 1. delete tags/release-0.9
> 2. apply patch to trunk
> 3. create branches/branch-0.9
> 4. have dennis test again (large scale)
> 5. if all goes well, finish release process
> 6. tag tags/release-0.9

I agree with this process.

> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Cheers,
>   Chris
>

> On 3/28/07 10:35 AM, "Andrzej Bialecki" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dennis Kubes wrote:
>>> Yes.  This seems to have fixed the problem.  All, do we want to create a
>>> JIRA and commit this for the 0.9 release?
>> It should definitely go into the release, and we need a patch for the
>> trunk/ .
>>
>> Actually, I'm somewhat surprised that we have tags/release-0.9 but we
>> don't yet have branches/branch-0.9 ...
>>
>> I think I'm confused, or the release procedure is confused. My
>> understanding so far was that we first create a branch-0.9, we test the
>> build from that branch and if it passes all tests and the wait period is
>> over, then we copy it to tags/release-0.9 and proclaim a release - which
>> is really a read-only branch, i.e. we don't ever commit any patches to
>> it ... If that were the case, then we still wouldn't have the
>> release-0.9 tag, we could have applied the patch in branch-0.9, plus
>> possibly other patches, and then finally tag this tree as tags/release-0.9.
>>
>> As it is now we are in an awkward situation that we have to patch
>> tags/release-0.9 ..
>>
>> One solution would be now to delete this tag, apply the patch to trunk,
>> create branches/branch-0.9, and continue applying any other patches that
>> may come up during this testing period - and when we are finally happy
>> with the codebase then take a snapshot into tags/release-0.9, and keep
>> it read-only.
>>
>> Another solution is to bend the rules and apply the patch to trunk/ and
>> then merge from the trunk to tags/release-0.9 .
>>
>> What do you think?

123