[VOTE] Release Apache Nutch 2.4 RC#1

Sebastian Nagel
Hi Folks,

A first candidate for the Nutch 2.4 release is available at:
  https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nutch/2.4/

The release candidate is a zip and tar.gz archive of sources in:
  https://github.com/apache/nutch/tree/release-2.4

In addition, a staged maven repository is available here:
  https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachenutch-1016/

We addressed 81 issues:
  https://s.apache.org/bFfL

Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Nutch 2.4.
The vote is open for the next 72 hours and passes if a majority of at
least three +1 Nutch PMC votes are cast.

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Nutch 2.4.

Cheers,
Sebastian
(On behalf of the Nutch PMC)

P.S. Here is my +1
     Unit tests pass and I've successfully run a small test crawl
     using HBase 1.14.10

P.S. Note that the release of 2.4 is considered to be the last release
     on the 2.x branch. Development on this branch has been retired
     with no active committers working on it and as Nutch PMC we feel
     unable to upkeep the support of the 2.x branch. More details will
     be shared as soon as 2.4 is released.

     unable to upkeep the support of the 2.x branch. More details will
     be shared as soon as 2.4 is released.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Nutch 2.4 RC#1

Sebastian Nagel
> Is it even relevant at all?

The release of 2.3.1 dates back to January 2016. That's quite a long
time and we cannot recommend to use 2.3.1 anymore mostly due to outdated
and potentially vulnerable upstream dependencies Nutch relies on.
So, in consequence we would need to advice all users of 2.3.1 to switch
to use 1.x/1.15 immediately.

Also, there are 81 issues resolved in 2.4 - the work on 2.x still continued
in 2016 and 2017, began to slow down in 2018 and almost entirely stopped
this year with only a few commits related to maintenance issues. Would be
somehow sad to leave all the work done addressing these 81 issues unreleased.

Of course, if there is nobody which takes the time to test the release and
vote for it because all thinks it isn't relevant: this would be a clear vote
not to release and to announce the end of 2.x right now and to withdraw the
2.3.1 release packages. The code would be still accessible from the release
archives and it will als remain in the repositories anyway.

Best,
Sebastian

On 9/24/19 12:11 PM, BlackIce wrote:

> Is it even relevant at all?
>
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 11:54 AM Sebastian Nagel <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Folks,
>
>     A first candidate for the Nutch 2.4 release is available at:
>       https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nutch/2.4/
>
>     The release candidate is a zip and tar.gz archive of sources in:
>       https://github.com/apache/nutch/tree/release-2.4
>
>     In addition, a staged maven repository is available here:
>       https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachenutch-1016/
>
>     We addressed 81 issues:
>       https://s.apache.org/bFfL
>

>     Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Nutch 2.4.
>     The vote is open for the next 72 hours and passes if a majority of at
>     least three +1 Nutch PMC votes are cast.
>
>     [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Nutch 2.4.
>     [ ] -1 Do not release this package because ...
>

>     Cheers,
>     Sebastian
>     (On behalf of the Nutch PMC)
>

>     P.S. Here is my +1
>          Unit tests pass and I've successfully run a small test crawl
>          using HBase 1.14.10
>
>     P.S. Note that the release of 2.4 is considered to be the last release
>          on the 2.x branch. Development on this branch has been retired
>          with no active committers working on it and as Nutch PMC we feel
>          unable to upkeep the support of the 2.x branch. More details will
>          be shared as soon as 2.4 is released.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Nutch 2.4 RC#1

BlackIce
It makes sense what your saying, better to wrap things up in a tidy way.
I got it last night, I'll give it a spin a bit later

Greetz

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 9:41 AM Sebastian Nagel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is it even relevant at all?

The release of 2.3.1 dates back to January 2016. That's quite a long
time and we cannot recommend to use 2.3.1 anymore mostly due to outdated
and potentially vulnerable upstream dependencies Nutch relies on.
So, in consequence we would need to advice all users of 2.3.1 to switch
to use 1.x/1.15 immediately.

Also, there are 81 issues resolved in 2.4 - the work on 2.x still continued
in 2016 and 2017, began to slow down in 2018 and almost entirely stopped
this year with only a few commits related to maintenance issues. Would be
somehow sad to leave all the work done addressing these 81 issues unreleased.

Of course, if there is nobody which takes the time to test the release and
vote for it because all thinks it isn't relevant: this would be a clear vote
not to release and to announce the end of 2.x right now and to withdraw the
2.3.1 release packages. The code would be still accessible from the release
archives and it will als remain in the repositories anyway.

Best,
Sebastian

On 9/24/19 12:11 PM, BlackIce wrote:
> Is it even relevant at all?
>
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 11:54 AM Sebastian Nagel <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Folks,
>
>     A first candidate for the Nutch 2.4 release is available at:
>       https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nutch/2.4/
>
>     The release candidate is a zip and tar.gz archive of sources in:
>       https://github.com/apache/nutch/tree/release-2.4
>
>     In addition, a staged maven repository is available here:
>       https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachenutch-1016/
>
>     We addressed 81 issues:
>       https://s.apache.org/bFfL
>

>     Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Nutch 2.4.
>     The vote is open for the next 72 hours and passes if a majority of at
>     least three +1 Nutch PMC votes are cast.
>
>     [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Nutch 2.4.
>     [ ] -1 Do not release this package because ...
>

>     Cheers,
>     Sebastian
>     (On behalf of the Nutch PMC)
>

>     P.S. Here is my +1
>          Unit tests pass and I've successfully run a small test crawl
>          using HBase 1.14.10
>
>     P.S. Note that the release of 2.4 is considered to be the last release
>          on the 2.x branch. Development on this branch has been retired
>          with no active committers working on it and as Nutch PMC we feel
>          unable to upkeep the support of the 2.x branch. More details will
>          be shared as soon as 2.4 is released.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Nutch 2.4 RC#1

Jorge Betancourt
Hi Seb!

Everything looks ok from my side:
Compiled successfully from the release-2.4 tag. Tests passed and ran a small crawl.

+1 from my side.

Small detail. I would probably change a couple of details in the deprecation notice. If it is ok with you I can send a PR for this later today. But since I see the deprecation notice after the release I think we're good to go.

Best Regards,
Jorge

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 11:04 AM BlackIce <[hidden email]> wrote:
It makes sense what your saying, better to wrap things up in a tidy way.
I got it last night, I'll give it a spin a bit later

Greetz

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 9:41 AM Sebastian Nagel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is it even relevant at all?

The release of 2.3.1 dates back to January 2016. That's quite a long
time and we cannot recommend to use 2.3.1 anymore mostly due to outdated
and potentially vulnerable upstream dependencies Nutch relies on.
So, in consequence we would need to advice all users of 2.3.1 to switch
to use 1.x/1.15 immediately.

Also, there are 81 issues resolved in 2.4 - the work on 2.x still continued
in 2016 and 2017, began to slow down in 2018 and almost entirely stopped
this year with only a few commits related to maintenance issues. Would be
somehow sad to leave all the work done addressing these 81 issues unreleased.

Of course, if there is nobody which takes the time to test the release and
vote for it because all thinks it isn't relevant: this would be a clear vote
not to release and to announce the end of 2.x right now and to withdraw the
2.3.1 release packages. The code would be still accessible from the release
archives and it will als remain in the repositories anyway.

Best,
Sebastian

On 9/24/19 12:11 PM, BlackIce wrote:
> Is it even relevant at all?
>
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 11:54 AM Sebastian Nagel <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Folks,
>
>     A first candidate for the Nutch 2.4 release is available at:
>       https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/nutch/2.4/
>
>     The release candidate is a zip and tar.gz archive of sources in:
>       https://github.com/apache/nutch/tree/release-2.4
>
>     In addition, a staged maven repository is available here:
>       https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachenutch-1016/
>
>     We addressed 81 issues:
>       https://s.apache.org/bFfL
>

>     Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Nutch 2.4.
>     The vote is open for the next 72 hours and passes if a majority of at
>     least three +1 Nutch PMC votes are cast.
>
>     [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Nutch 2.4.
>     [ ] -1 Do not release this package because ...
>

>     Cheers,
>     Sebastian
>     (On behalf of the Nutch PMC)
>

>     P.S. Here is my +1
>          Unit tests pass and I've successfully run a small test crawl
>          using HBase 1.14.10
>
>     P.S. Note that the release of 2.4 is considered to be the last release
>          on the 2.x branch. Development on this branch has been retired
>          with no active committers working on it and as Nutch PMC we feel
>          unable to upkeep the support of the 2.x branch. More details will
>          be shared as soon as 2.4 is released.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Nutch 2.4 RC#1

Sebastian Nagel
Thanks, Jorge!

> I would probably change a couple of details in the deprecation notice. If it is ok
> with you I can send a PR for this later today. But since I see the deprecation notice
> after the release I think we're good to go.

You mean the deprecation notice in the README.md?
It can be improved for sure. I think it's not the most important one, as it's only in the 2.x branch
and not the master branch. But we need notices on the web site as well.
Any help to formulate this nicely is welcome. Thanks!

Sebastian

On 02.10.19 17:12, Jorge Betancourt wrote:

> [...]
>         >
>         >
>         >     Cheers,
>         >     Sebastian
>         >     (On behalf of the Nutch PMC)
>         >
>         >
>         >     P.S. Here is my +1
>         >          Unit tests pass and I've successfully run a small test crawl
>         >          using HBase 1.14.10
>         >
>         >     P.S. Note that the release of 2.4 is considered to be the last release
>         >          on the 2.x branch. Development on this branch has been retired
>         >          with no active committers working on it and as Nutch PMC we feel
>         >          unable to upkeep the support of the 2.x branch. More details will
>         >          be shared as soon as 2.4 is released.
>         >

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Nutch 2.4 RC#1

kamaci

Hi,

+1 from me.

Code compiles and tests successfully run.

PS: For newcomers, we should consider to place build instructions at README file instead of pointing wiki.

Kind Regards,
Furkan KAMACI

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 3:46 PM Sebastian Nagel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks, Jorge!

> [...]

>         >     [ ] -1 Do not release this package because ...
>         >
>         >
>         >     Cheers,
>         >     Sebastian
>         >     (On behalf of the Nutch PMC)
>         >
>         >
>         >     P.S. Here is my +1
>         >          Unit tests pass and I've successfully run a small test crawl
>         >          using HBase 1.14.10
>         >
>         >     P.S. Note that the release of 2.4 is considered to be the last release
>         >          on the 2.x branch. Development on this branch has been retired
>         >          with no active committers working on it and as Nutch PMC we feel
>         >          unable to upkeep the support of the 2.x branch. More details will
>         >          be shared as soon as 2.4 is released.

[RESULT] was [VOTE] Release Apache Nutch 2.4 RC#1

Sebastian Nagel
Hi Folks,

thanks to everyone who was able to review the release candidate!

72 hours have passed, please see below for vote results.

[4] +1 Release this package as Apache Nutch 2.4
   Lewis John McGibbney *
   Jorge Luis Betancourt Gonzalez *
   Furkan Kamaci *
   Sebastian Nagel *

[0] -1 Do not release this package because ...

* Nutch PMC

The VOTE passes with 4 binding votes from Nutch PMC members.

I'll continue and publish the release packages and will send
the release announcement tomorrow, after the packages have
been propagated to all mirrors.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to Nutch and the 2.4 release.

Sebastian