[VOTE] Release Lucene 2.4.0

12

[VOTE] Release Lucene 2.4.0

Michael McCandless-2

I've built the release artifacts, from revision 700430 on the 2.4
branch.  These are the changes:

   http://people.apache.org/~mikemccand/staging-area/lucene2.4changes/Changes.html

Please vote to officially release these artifacts as 2.4.0:

   http://people.apache.org/~mikemccand/staging-area/lucene2.4

We need at least 3 binding (PMC) votes.

Mike

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.4.0

Michael McCandless-2

I found one smallish issue: the contrib/CHANGES.txt still lists "Trunk
(not yet released)" at the top.

I'll fix it and create new artifacts, and update the ReleaseTodo.

Mike

Michael McCandless wrote:

> I've built the release artifacts, from revision 700430 on the 2.4
> branch.  These are the changes:
>
>  http://people.apache.org/~mikemccand/staging-area/lucene2.4changes/Changes.html
>
> Please vote to officially release these artifacts as 2.4.0:
>
>  http://people.apache.org/~mikemccand/staging-area/lucene2.4
>
> We need at least 3 binding (PMC) votes.
>
> Mike

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.4.0

Michael McCandless-2

OK new artifacts area here:

     http://people.apache.org/~mikemccand/staging-area/lucene2.4take2

Please VOTE to release those as 2.4.0.

Mike

Michael McCandless wrote:

> I found one smallish issue: the contrib/CHANGES.txt still lists
> "Trunk (not yet released)" at the top.
>
> I'll fix it and create new artifacts, and update the ReleaseTodo.
>
> Mike
>
> Michael McCandless wrote:
>

>> I've built the release artifacts, from revision 700430 on the 2.4
>> branch.  These are the changes:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~mikemccand/staging-area/lucene2.4changes/Changes.html
>>
>> Please vote to officially release these artifacts as 2.4.0:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~mikemccand/staging-area/lucene2.4
>>
>> We need at least 3 binding (PMC) votes.
>>
>> Mike

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.4.0

Yonik Seeley-2
On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 8:26 AM, Michael McCandless
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK new artifacts area here:
>
>    http://people.apache.org/~mikemccand/staging-area/lucene2.4take2
>
> Please VOTE to release those as 2.4.0.

+1

AIUI, Apache only officially releases source code, so any binaries are
artifacts or derivatives of a release, not really the release itself.
Of course, that doesn't mean we can't vote to ensure the integrity of
any artifacts or downloads... it's really just a slight change in
communication - perhaps something like "please vote to release 2.4.0,
downloads (or release artifacts) are here:"

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.4.0

Doug Cutting
Yonik Seeley wrote:
> AIUI, Apache only officially releases source code, so any binaries are
> artifacts or derivatives of a release, not really the release itself.

Unless those artifacts include the source code.  It's best to vote on a
signed tgz file than a subversion tag, since the latter can change.

Doug

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.4.0

Yonik Seeley-2
On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Doug Cutting <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yonik Seeley wrote:
>>
>> AIUI, Apache only officially releases source code, so any binaries are
>> artifacts or derivatives of a release, not really the release itself.
>
> Unless those artifacts include the source code.  It's best to vote on a
> signed tgz file than a subversion tag, since the latter can change.

True enough.  After some more reading, it appears that voting on the
final signed build that includes source is the current best practice.
You did it perfectly Mike, thanks!

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.4.0

Michael McCandless-2

Phew :)

Mike

Yonik Seeley wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Doug Cutting <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Yonik Seeley wrote:
>>>
>>> AIUI, Apache only officially releases source code, so any binaries
>>> are
>>> artifacts or derivatives of a release, not really the release
>>> itself.
>>
>> Unless those artifacts include the source code.  It's best to vote
>> on a
>> signed tgz file than a subversion tag, since the latter can change.
>
> True enough.  After some more reading, it appears that voting on the
> final signed build that includes source is the current best practice.
> You did it perfectly Mike, thanks!
>
> -Yonik

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.4.0

Grant Ingersoll-2
The docs in the downloaded tarball still refer to 2.4-dev.

The doap.rdf file is (badly) out of date.

On Sep 30, 2008, at 8:30 AM, Michael McCandless wrote:

> I've built the release artifacts, from revision 700430 on the 2.4
> branch.  These are the changes:
>
>  http://people.apache.org/~mikemccand/staging-area/lucene2.4changes/Changes.html
>
> Please vote to officially release these artifacts as 2.4.0:
>
>  http://people.apache.org/~mikemccand/staging-area/lucene2.4
>
> We need at least 3 binding (PMC) votes.
>
> Mike

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.4.0

Michael McCandless-2

Ugh.  I'll fix & re-spin.

Mike

Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> The docs in the downloaded tarball still refer to 2.4-dev.
>
> The doap.rdf file is (badly) out of date.
>

> On Sep 30, 2008, at 8:30 AM, Michael McCandless wrote:
>

>> I've built the release artifacts, from revision 700430 on the 2.4
>> branch.  These are the changes:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~mikemccand/staging-area/lucene2.4changes/Changes.html
>>
>> Please vote to officially release these artifacts as 2.4.0:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~mikemccand/staging-area/lucene2.4
>>
>> We need at least 3 binding (PMC) votes.
>>
>> Mike

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.4.0

mark harwood
Hi Mike,
Given the repackaging any chance you can sneak in 2 contrib fixes I added recently?

Null pointer introduced to clients dropping in 2.4 upgrade  - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=700815
Bug in fuzzy matching                                 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=699512

No big deal if it's too late.

> The docs in the downloaded tarball still refer to 2.4-dev.
>
> The doap.rdf file is (badly) out of date.
>

> On Sep 30, 2008, at 8:30 AM, Michael McCandless wrote:
>

>> I've built the release artifacts, from revision 700430 on the 2.4
>> branch.  These are the changes:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~mikemccand/staging-area/lucene2.4changes/Changes.html
>>
>> Please vote to officially release these artifacts as 2.4.0:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~mikemccand/staging-area/lucene2.4
>>
>> We need at least 3 binding (PMC) votes.
>>
>> Mike

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.4.0

Michael McCandless-2

No problem Mark -- I'll backport & include them in the next spin.

Mike

mark harwood wrote:

> Hi Mike,
> Given the repackaging any chance you can sneak in 2 contrib fixes I
> added recently?
>
> Null pointer introduced to clients dropping in 2.4 upgrade  - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=700815
> Bug in fuzzy matching                                 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=699512
>
> No big deal if it's too late.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.4.0

Michael McCandless-2

OK let's try again!

Let's start a new VOTE to release these artifacts (derived from svn
rev 701445) as Lucene 2.4.0:

     http://people.apache.org/~mikemccand/staging-area/lucene2.4take3

Here's my vote: +1.

Mike

mark harwood wrote:

> Hi Mike,
> Given the repackaging any chance you can sneak in 2 contrib fixes I
> added recently?
>
> Null pointer introduced to clients dropping in 2.4 upgrade  - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=700815
> Bug in fuzzy matching                                 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=699512
>
> No big deal if it's too late.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.4.0

Grant Ingersoll-2
+1.

On Oct 3, 2008, at 1:22 PM, Michael McCandless wrote:

> OK let's try again!
>
> Let's start a new VOTE to release these artifacts (derived from svn
> rev 701445) as Lucene 2.4.0:
>
>    http://people.apache.org/~mikemccand/staging-area/lucene2.4take3
>
> Here's my vote: +1.
>
> Mike
>
> mark harwood wrote:
>
>> Hi Mike,
>> Given the repackaging any chance you can sneak in 2 contrib fixes I
>> added recently?
>>
>> Null pointer introduced to clients dropping in 2.4 upgrade  - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=700815
>> Bug in fuzzy matching                                 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=699512
>>
>> No big deal if it's too late.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.4.0

Michael McCandless-2

OK maybe 4th time's a charm ;)

Let's start a new VOTE to release these artifacts (derived from svn
rev 701827) as Lucene 2.4.0:

   http://people.apache.org/~mikemccand/staging-area/lucene2.4take4

Here's my +1.

Mike

Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> +1.
>
> On Oct 3, 2008, at 1:22 PM, Michael McCandless wrote:
>

>> OK let's try again!
>>
>> Let's start a new VOTE to release these artifacts (derived from svn
>> rev 701445) as Lucene 2.4.0:
>>
>>   http://people.apache.org/~mikemccand/staging-area/lucene2.4take3
>>
>> Here's my vote: +1.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> mark harwood wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Mike,
>>> Given the repackaging any chance you can sneak in 2 contrib fixes
>>> I added recently?
>>>
>>> Null pointer introduced to clients dropping in 2.4 upgrade  - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=700815
>>> Bug in fuzzy matching                                 - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=699512
>>>
>>> No big deal if it's too late.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.4.0

Michael McCandless-2

Reminder: this is a new vote (started 2 days ago) to release 2.4.0.

We still need 2 more binding (PMC) votes to release.

Mike

Michael McCandless wrote:

> OK maybe 4th time's a charm ;)
>
> Let's start a new VOTE to release these artifacts (derived from svn
> rev 701827) as Lucene 2.4.0:
>
>  http://people.apache.org/~mikemccand/staging-area/lucene2.4take4
>
> Here's my +1.
>
> Mike
>
> Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>
>> +1.
>>
>> On Oct 3, 2008, at 1:22 PM, Michael McCandless wrote:
>>

>>> OK let's try again!
>>>
>>> Let's start a new VOTE to release these artifacts (derived from
>>> svn rev 701445) as Lucene 2.4.0:
>>>
>>>  http://people.apache.org/~mikemccand/staging-area/lucene2.4take3
>>>
>>> Here's my vote: +1.
>>>
>>> Mike

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.4.0

mark harwood
+1

Mark

Michael McCandless wrote:

> OK maybe 4th time's a charm ;)
>
> Let's start a new VOTE to release these artifacts (derived from svn
> rev 701827) as Lucene 2.4.0:
>
>  http://people.apache.org/~mikemccand/staging-area/lucene2.4take4
>
> Here's my +1.
>
> Mike
>
> Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>
>> +1.
>>
>> On Oct 3, 2008, at 1:22 PM, Michael McCandless wrote:
>>

>>> OK let's try again!
>>>
>>> Let's start a new VOTE to release these artifacts (derived from
>>> svn rev 701445) as Lucene 2.4.0:
>>>
>>>  http://people.apache.org/~mikemccand/staging-area/lucene2.4take3
>>>
>>> Here's my vote: +1.
>>>
>>> Mike

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.4.0

Erik Hatcher
+1

        Erik

On Oct 7, 2008, at 9:55 AM, Michael McCandless wrote:

> Reminder: this is a new vote (started 2 days ago) to release 2.4.0.
>
> We still need 2 more binding (PMC) votes to release.
>
> Mike
>
> Michael McCandless wrote:
>

>> OK maybe 4th time's a charm ;)
>>
>> Let's start a new VOTE to release these artifacts (derived from svn
>> rev 701827) as Lucene 2.4.0:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~mikemccand/staging-area/lucene2.4take4
>>
>> Here's my +1.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>>
>>> +1.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.4.0

Yonik Seeley-2
On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 1:07 PM, Michael McCandless
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Let's start a new VOTE to release these artifacts (derived from svn rev
> 701827) as Lucene 2.4.0:
>
>  http://people.apache.org/~mikemccand/staging-area/lucene2.4take4
>
> Here's my +1.

+1

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.4.0

Grant Ingersoll-2
I really hate to do this, but the source tests don't compile, since we
now rely on JUnit to be shipped w/ Lucene.

Steps:
download the source tarball
untar
ant test

Lots of compile errors.  I think we just need to package lib/junit
with the src.  Of course, maybe not a big deal, as we didn't package
JUnit before, but we also didn't have a lib directory before, either.
Not sure if it is a show stopper.

However, when I copy junit into a lib directory there, I get:

  [junit] Testcase:
testHugeFile(org.apache.lucene.store.TestHugeRamFile):    Caused an
ERROR
     [junit] Java heap space
     [junit] java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
     [junit]     at java.util.Arrays.copyOf(Arrays.java:2760)
     [junit]     at java.util.Arrays.copyOf(Arrays.java:2734)
     [junit]     at java.util.ArrayList.ensureCapacity(ArrayList.java:
167)
     [junit]     at java.util.ArrayList.add(ArrayList.java:351)
     [junit]     at
org.apache.lucene.store.RAMFile.addBuffer(RAMFile.java:69)
     [junit]     at
org
.apache
.lucene.store.RAMOutputStream.switchCurrentBuffer(RAMOutputStream.java:
129)
     [junit]     at
org
.apache.lucene.store.RAMOutputStream.writeBytes(RAMOutputStream.java:
115)
     [junit]     at
org
.apache.lucene.store.TestHugeRamFile.testHugeFile(TestHugeRamFile.java:
68)
     [junit]

This passes when I run trunk on the same machine, but fails on both
the branch and the downloaded src file.  I know I could just increase
the memory, but it seems odd that trunk passes.

Otherwise, things look good.

So -0, I guess.

On Oct 7, 2008, at 9:55 AM, Michael McCandless wrote:

> Reminder: this is a new vote (started 2 days ago) to release 2.4.0.
>
> We still need 2 more binding (PMC) votes to release.
>
> Mike
>
> Michael McCandless wrote:
>

>> OK maybe 4th time's a charm ;)
>>
>> Let's start a new VOTE to release these artifacts (derived from svn
>> rev 701827) as Lucene 2.4.0:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~mikemccand/staging-area/lucene2.4take4
>>
>> Here's my +1.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>>
>>> +1.

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll

Lucene Helpful Hints:

RE: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.4.0

Uwe Schindler-3
Or alternatively disable testing, if junit is not available. Like you cannot
compile the QueryParser with JavaCC.

-----
UWE SCHINDLER
Webserver/Middleware Development
PANGAEA - Publishing Network for Geoscientific and Environmental Data
Tel.: +49 421 218 65595
Fax:  +49 421 218 65505
http://www.pangaea.de/
> I really hate to do this, but the source tests don't compile, since we
> now rely on JUnit to be shipped w/ Lucene.
>
> Steps:
> download the source tarball
> untar
> ant test
>
> Lots of compile errors.  I think we just need to package lib/junit
> with the src.  Of course, maybe not a big deal, as we didn't package
> JUnit before, but we also didn't have a lib directory before, either.
> Not sure if it is a show stopper.
>
> However, when I copy junit into a lib directory there, I get:
>
>   [junit] Testcase:
> testHugeFile(org.apache.lucene.store.TestHugeRamFile):    Caused an
> ERROR
>      [junit] Java heap space
>      [junit] java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
>      [junit]     at java.util.Arrays.copyOf(Arrays.java:2760)
>      [junit]     at java.util.Arrays.copyOf(Arrays.java:2734)
>      [junit]     at java.util.ArrayList.ensureCapacity(ArrayList.java:
> 167)
>      [junit]     at java.util.ArrayList.add(ArrayList.java:351)
>      [junit]     at
> org.apache.lucene.store.RAMFile.addBuffer(RAMFile.java:69)
>      [junit]     at
> org
> .apache
> .lucene.store.RAMOutputStream.switchCurrentBuffer(RAMOutputStream.java:
> 129)
>      [junit]     at
> org
> .apache.lucene.store.RAMOutputStream.writeBytes(RAMOutputStream.java:
> 115)
>      [junit]     at
> org
> .apache.lucene.store.TestHugeRamFile.testHugeFile(TestHugeRamFile.java:
> 68)
>      [junit]
>

> This passes when I run trunk on the same machine, but fails on both
> the branch and the downloaded src file.  I know I could just increase
> the memory, but it seems odd that trunk passes.
>
> Otherwise, things look good.
>
> So -0, I guess.
>

> On Oct 7, 2008, at 9:55 AM, Michael McCandless wrote:
>

> > Reminder: this is a new vote (started 2 days ago) to release 2.4.0.
> >
> > We still need 2 more binding (PMC) votes to release.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > Michael McCandless wrote:
> >

> >> OK maybe 4th time's a charm ;)
> >>
> >> Let's start a new VOTE to release these artifacts (derived from svn
> >> rev 701827) as Lucene 2.4.0:
> >>
> >> http://people.apache.org/~mikemccand/staging-area/lucene2.4take4
> >>
> >> Here's my +1.
> >>
> >> Mike