[VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.3.2-RC1

12

[VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.3.2-RC1

Anshum Gupta
Please vote for the RC1 release candidate for Lucene/Solr 5.3.2

The artifacts can be downloaded from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-5.3.2-RC1-rev1723976

You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-5.3.2-RC1-rev1723976

Sorry for the super long delay but my internet connection required 4 attempts to commit the RC.
Anshum Gupta

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.3.2-RC1

Adrien Grand
Hi Anshum,

Just in case you didn't see the other thread called "5.4.1 release", we need to do a bugfix release to address a potential corruption that affects Lucene/Solr 5.4.0. Since this 5.4.1 release ought to contain all fixes that are also in 5.3.2, maybe it's not worth releasing 5.3.2 anymore? Sorry for only suggesting it now, I know you already spent time on this release but wanted to make sure that you were aware that we need to do a 5.4.1 soon as well.

Anshum Gupta

Anshum Gupta

Anshum Gupta

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.3.2-RC1

Anshum Gupta
Hi Adrien,

Thanks for informing but I think it still makes sense for us to release a 5.3.2 for users who have decided to be on or are already on 5.3.x.
5.4 might mean a complicated upgrade for those users.

Anshum Gupta

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.3.2-RC1

Anshum Gupta
I forgot to add my own +1.

SUCCESS! [0:36:47.637916]

Anshum Gupta

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.3.2-RC1

david.w.smiley@gmail.com
+1

SUCCESS! [0:49:17.877825]

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 8:21 AM Anshum Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
I forgot to add my own +1.

SUCCESS! [0:36:47.637916]

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 2:07 AM, Anshum Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please vote for the RC1 release candidate for Lucene/Solr 5.3.2

The artifacts can be downloaded from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-5.3.2-RC1-rev1723976

You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-5.3.2-RC1-rev1723976

Sorry for the super long delay but my internet connection required 4 attempts to commit the RC.
--
Anshum Gupta

--
Anshum Gupta

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.3.2-RC1

sarowe
+1

Docs, changes and javadocs look good.

I ran the smoke tester with Java7 and Java8:

SUCCESS! [0:48:53.667806]

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

> On Jan 12, 2016, at 9:01 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> +1
> SUCCESS! [0:49:17.877825]
>

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 8:21 AM Anshum Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I forgot to add my own +1.
>
> SUCCESS! [0:36:47.637916]
>
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 2:07 AM, Anshum Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please vote for the RC1 release candidate for Lucene/Solr 5.3.2
>
> The artifacts can be downloaded from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-5.3.2-RC1-rev1723976
>
> You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
> python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-5.3.2-RC1-rev1723976
>
> Sorry for the super long delay but my internet connection required 4 attempts to commit the RC.
> --
> Anshum Gupta
>

> --
> Anshum Gupta
> LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley | Book: http://www.solrenterprisesearchserver.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.3.2-RC1

Yonik Seeley
+1

-Yonik

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 3:37 PM, Anshum Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please vote for the RC1 release candidate for Lucene/Solr 5.3.2
>
> The artifacts can be downloaded from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-5.3.2-RC1-rev1723976
>
> You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
> python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-5.3.2-RC1-rev1723976
>
> Sorry for the super long delay but my internet connection required 4
> attempts to commit the RC.
> --
> Anshum Gupta

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.3.2-RC1

Shalin Shekhar Mangar
Upayavira made some fixes to the smoke tester on the 5.4 branch to
correctly handle HTTPS URLs. This change hasn't been backported to 5.3
branch therefore running the smoke tester from 5.3 on this artifact
will cause the smoke tester to hang indefinitely. Just putting it out
there in case someone runs into this problem as I did just now. I'll
backport those changes to the smoke tester on 5.3

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 8:33 PM, Yonik Seeley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> -Yonik
>
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 3:37 PM, Anshum Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Please vote for the RC1 release candidate for Lucene/Solr 5.3.2
>>
>> The artifacts can be downloaded from:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-5.3.2-RC1-rev1723976
>>
>> You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
>> python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-5.3.2-RC1-rev1723976
>>
>> Sorry for the super long delay but my internet connection required 4
>> attempts to commit the RC.
>> --
>> Anshum Gupta

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.3.2-RC1

Mark Miller-3
+1

SUCCESS! [0:39:46.027802]

- mark

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 10:12 AM Shalin Shekhar Mangar <[hidden email]> wrote:
Upayavira made some fixes to the smoke tester on the 5.4 branch to
correctly handle HTTPS URLs. This change hasn't been backported to 5.3
branch therefore running the smoke tester from 5.3 on this artifact
will cause the smoke tester to hang indefinitely. Just putting it out
there in case someone runs into this problem as I did just now. I'll
backport those changes to the smoke tester on 5.3

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 8:33 PM, Yonik Seeley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1
>
> -Yonik
>
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 3:37 PM, Anshum Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Please vote for the RC1 release candidate for Lucene/Solr 5.3.2
>>
>> The artifacts can be downloaded from:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-5.3.2-RC1-rev1723976
>>
>> You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
>> python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-5.3.2-RC1-rev1723976
>>
>> Sorry for the super long delay but my internet connection required 4
>> attempts to commit the RC.
>> --
>> Anshum Gupta

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.3.2-RC1

Shalin Shekhar Mangar
+1

SUCCESS! [1:36:07.059099]

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 8:45 PM, Mark Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> SUCCESS! [0:39:46.027802]
>
> - mark
>
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 10:12 AM Shalin Shekhar Mangar
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Upayavira made some fixes to the smoke tester on the 5.4 branch to
>> correctly handle HTTPS URLs. This change hasn't been backported to 5.3
>> branch therefore running the smoke tester from 5.3 on this artifact
>> will cause the smoke tester to hang indefinitely. Just putting it out
>> there in case someone runs into this problem as I did just now. I'll
>> backport those changes to the smoke tester on 5.3
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 8:33 PM, Yonik Seeley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > +1
>> >
>> > -Yonik

>> --
>> Regards,
>> Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

> - Mark
> about.me/markrmiller

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.3.2-RC1

Anshum Gupta
Thanks Shalin!

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 8:42 PM, Shalin Shekhar Mangar <[hidden email]> wrote:
Upayavira made some fixes to the smoke tester on the 5.4 branch to
correctly handle HTTPS URLs. This change hasn't been backported to 5.3
branch therefore running the smoke tester from 5.3 on this artifact
will cause the smoke tester to hang indefinitely. Just putting it out
there in case someone runs into this problem as I did just now. I'll
backport those changes to the smoke tester on 5.3

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 8:33 PM, Yonik Seeley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1
>
> -Yonik
>
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 3:37 PM, Anshum Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Please vote for the RC1 release candidate for Lucene/Solr 5.3.2
>>
>> The artifacts can be downloaded from:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-5.3.2-RC1-rev1723976
>>
>> You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
>> python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-5.3.2-RC1-rev1723976
>>
>> Sorry for the super long delay but my internet connection required 4
>> attempts to commit the RC.
>> --
>> Anshum Gupta

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Anshum Gupta

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.3.2-RC1

Tomás Fernández Löbbe
+1
SUCCESS! [1:13:10.001165]

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 10:50 AM, Anshum Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Shalin!

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 8:42 PM, Shalin Shekhar Mangar <[hidden email]> wrote:
Upayavira made some fixes to the smoke tester on the 5.4 branch to
correctly handle HTTPS URLs. This change hasn't been backported to 5.3
branch therefore running the smoke tester from 5.3 on this artifact
will cause the smoke tester to hang indefinitely. Just putting it out
there in case someone runs into this problem as I did just now. I'll
backport those changes to the smoke tester on 5.3

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 8:33 PM, Yonik Seeley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1
>
> -Yonik
>
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 3:37 PM, Anshum Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Please vote for the RC1 release candidate for Lucene/Solr 5.3.2
>>
>> The artifacts can be downloaded from:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-5.3.2-RC1-rev1723976
>>
>> You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
>> python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-5.3.2-RC1-rev1723976
>>
>> Sorry for the super long delay but my internet connection required 4
>> attempts to commit the RC.
>> --
>> Anshum Gupta

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Anshum Gupta

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.3.2-RC1

Adrien Grand
While working on the 5.4.1 release I just realized that we would not prevent users from upgrading from 5.3.2 to 5.4.0 while it is something that we don't test in TestBackwardsCompatibility (since 5.4.0 is already released) and that Lucene50SegmentInfoFormat would deserialize a version constant that does not exist among the Version constants. I don't know if this should block this release but I think it's at least annoying... I'm afraid that some of our code might rely on Lucene50SegmentInfoFormat to deserialize a version that actually exists?

Le mar. 12 janv. 2016 à 19:54, Tomás Fernández Löbbe <[hidden email]> a écrit :
+1
SUCCESS! [1:13:10.001165]

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 10:50 AM, Anshum Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Shalin!

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 8:42 PM, Shalin Shekhar Mangar <[hidden email]> wrote:
Upayavira made some fixes to the smoke tester on the 5.4 branch to
correctly handle HTTPS URLs. This change hasn't been backported to 5.3
branch therefore running the smoke tester from 5.3 on this artifact
will cause the smoke tester to hang indefinitely. Just putting it out
there in case someone runs into this problem as I did just now. I'll
backport those changes to the smoke tester on 5.3

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 8:33 PM, Yonik Seeley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1
>
> -Yonik
>
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 3:37 PM, Anshum Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Please vote for the RC1 release candidate for Lucene/Solr 5.3.2
>>
>> The artifacts can be downloaded from:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-5.3.2-RC1-rev1723976
>>
>> You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
>> python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-5.3.2-RC1-rev1723976
>>
>> Sorry for the super long delay but my internet connection required 4
>> attempts to commit the RC.
>> --
>> Anshum Gupta

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Anshum Gupta

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 2:23 PM, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
> While working on the 5.4.1 release I just realized that we would not prevent
> users from upgrading from 5.3.2 to 5.4.0 while it is something that we don't
> test in TestBackwardsCompatibility (since 5.4.0 is already released) and
> that Lucene50SegmentInfoFormat would deserialize a version constant that
> does not exist among the Version constants. I don't know if this should
> block this release but I think it's at least annoying... I'm afraid that
> some of our code might rely on Lucene50SegmentInfoFormat to deserialize a
> version that actually exists?

Seems like this versioning limitation should be fixed - we should
always be free to create bugfix releases for past releases.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.3.2-RC1

Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ्
I could not run the smoke test. It hangs forever. How did others
manage to run it

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 2:31 AM, Yonik Seeley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 2:23 PM, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> While working on the 5.4.1 release I just realized that we would not prevent
>> users from upgrading from 5.3.2 to 5.4.0 while it is something that we don't
>> test in TestBackwardsCompatibility (since 5.4.0 is already released) and
>> that Lucene50SegmentInfoFormat would deserialize a version constant that
>> does not exist among the Version constants. I don't know if this should
>> block this release but I think it's at least annoying... I'm afraid that
>> some of our code might rely on Lucene50SegmentInfoFormat to deserialize a
>> version that actually exists?
>
> Seems like this versioning limitation should be fixed - we should
> always be free to create bugfix releases for past releases.
>
> -Yonik

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.3.2-RC1

Anshum Gupta
Can you svn up the lucene_solr_5_4 branch? I merged the commit from lucene_solr_5_3 branch that fixes this.

There were other work arounds though e.g. using "http" or checking out and running the smoke test off local copy using the file:// protocol.
You shouldn't need to do any of that now though.

Anshum Gupta

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.3.2-RC1

Anshum Gupta
I am not the best person to comment on weather that would block the release but let me know if you we should. Also, I agree with yonik, we shouldn't have this limitation as it stops us from pushing out bug fix releases for past releases.

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 2:31 AM, Yonik Seeley <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 2:23 PM, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
> While working on the 5.4.1 release I just realized that we would not prevent
> users from upgrading from 5.3.2 to 5.4.0 while it is something that we don't
> test in TestBackwardsCompatibility (since 5.4.0 is already released) and
> that Lucene50SegmentInfoFormat would deserialize a version constant that
> does not exist among the Version constants. I don't know if this should
> block this release but I think it's at least annoying... I'm afraid that
> some of our code might rely on Lucene50SegmentInfoFormat to deserialize a
> version that actually exists?

Seems like this versioning limitation should be fixed - we should
always be free to create bugfix releases for past releases.

Anshum Gupta

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.3.2-RC1

Ryan Ernst
While this isn't something we have tests for in TestBackwardsCompatibility (that only tests every previous version against the current version), we do have tests in TestVersion for parsing versions that do not have constants (see testForwardsCompatibility). Version constants are only shortcuts to Version objects with known values, not what are passed around.