[VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.4.1 RC1

Adrien Grand
Please vote for the RC1 release candidate for Lucene/Solr 5.4.1

The artifacts can be downloaded from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-5.4.1-RC1-rev1724447/

You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-5.4.1-RC1-rev1724447/

The smoke tester already passed for me both with the local and remote artifacts, so here is my +1.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.4.1 RC1

david.w.smiley@gmail.com
+1

SUCCESS! [0:53:42.286712]

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 5:41 AM Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please vote for the RC1 release candidate for Lucene/Solr 5.4.1

The artifacts can be downloaded from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-5.4.1-RC1-rev1724447/

You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-5.4.1-RC1-rev1724447/

The smoke tester already passed for me both with the local and remote artifacts, so here is my +1.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.4.1 RC1

Michael McCandless-2
+1

SUCCESS! [0:31:52.038641]

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 5:41 AM, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please vote for the RC1 release candidate for Lucene/Solr 5.4.1
>
> The artifacts can be downloaded from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-5.4.1-RC1-rev1724447/
>
> You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
> python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-5.4.1-RC1-rev1724447/
>
> The smoke tester already passed for me both with the local and remote
> artifacts, so here is my +1.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.4.1 RC1

Yonik Seeley
We've discovered a very serious bug, currently unknown how deep it
runs, but may make sense to respin if we can get it ironed out quickly
enough:

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 5:41 AM, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please vote for the RC1 release candidate for Lucene/Solr 5.4.1
>
> The artifacts can be downloaded from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-5.4.1-RC1-rev1724447/
>
> You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
> python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-5.4.1-RC1-rev1724447/
>
> The smoke tester already passed for me both with the local and remote
> artifacts, so here is my +1.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.4.1 RC1

Adrien Grand
Thanks Yonik, let's see what this bug boils down to and how quickly we can get it fixed.

Le ven. 15 janv. 2016 à 17:15, Yonik Seeley <[hidden email]> a écrit :
We've discovered a very serious bug, currently unknown how deep it
runs, but may make sense to respin if we can get it ironed out quickly
enough:

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 5:41 AM, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please vote for the RC1 release candidate for Lucene/Solr 5.4.1
>
> The artifacts can be downloaded from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-5.4.1-RC1-rev1724447/
>
> You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
> python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-5.4.1-RC1-rev1724447/
>
> The smoke tester already passed for me both with the local and remote
> artifacts, so here is my +1.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.4.1 RC1

Ramkumar R. Aiyengar
I missed the initial RC, but if we are going to re-spin (and looks like Yonik has a patch up now), I would like to back-port SOLR-8418. Should be fairly benign, let me know if there are any concerns..

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 5:59 PM, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Yonik, let's see what this bug boils down to and how quickly we can get it fixed.

Le ven. 15 janv. 2016 à 17:15, Yonik Seeley <[hidden email]> a écrit :
We've discovered a very serious bug, currently unknown how deep it
runs, but may make sense to respin if we can get it ironed out quickly
enough:

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 5:41 AM, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please vote for the RC1 release candidate for Lucene/Solr 5.4.1
>
> The artifacts can be downloaded from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-5.4.1-RC1-rev1724447/
>
> You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
> python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-5.4.1-RC1-rev1724447/
>
> The smoke tester already passed for me both with the local and remote
> artifacts, so here is my +1.

Not sent from my iPhone or my Blackberry or anyone else's

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.4.1 RC1

Robert Muir
I don't think we should open the floodgates. How is this issue critical?

We need to get the index corruption fix out. +1 to release as is.

On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 11:03 AM, Ramkumar R. Aiyengar
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I missed the initial RC, but if we are going to re-spin (and looks like
> Yonik has a patch up now), I would like to back-port SOLR-8418. Should be
> fairly benign, let me know if there are any concerns..
>
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 5:59 PM, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Yonik, let's see what this bug boils down to and how quickly we can
>> get it fixed.
>>
>> Le ven. 15 janv. 2016 à 17:15, Yonik Seeley <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>>
>>> We've discovered a very serious bug, currently unknown how deep it
>>> runs, but may make sense to respin if we can get it ironed out quickly
>>> enough:
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-8496
>>>
>>> -Yonik

> Not sent from my iPhone or my Blackberry or anyone else's

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.4.1 RC1

Erick Erickson
bq: How is this issue critical?

Well, a heck of a lot of clients I deal with use facets to do analysis
of their corpi, think of it as "poor man's stats". To tell them that
"well, the facet counts will not be accurate sometimes" is a tough
pill to swallow.

Where we're at with this is essentially telling Solr users "skip all
5.3 and 5.4 versions if you want your facet counts to be accurate".
Which sets the bar for releasing a 5.5 I guess.

That said I can deal with some fuzziness on facet counts, but I really
can't deal with index corruption so I guess it's a judgement call.

On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 11:41 AM, Robert Muir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't think we should open the floodgates. How is this issue critical?
>
> We need to get the index corruption fix out. +1 to release as is.
>
> On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 11:03 AM, Ramkumar R. Aiyengar
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I missed the initial RC, but if we are going to re-spin (and looks like
>> Yonik has a patch up now), I would like to back-port SOLR-8418. Should be
>> fairly benign, let me know if there are any concerns..
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 5:59 PM, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks Yonik, let's see what this bug boils down to and how quickly we can
>>> get it fixed.

>> --
>> Not sent from my iPhone or my Blackberry or anyone else's

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.4.1 RC1

david.w.smiley@gmail.com
Clearly to me, the facet bug is a critical one to get into the release (and so is index corruption) and I'm glad it was caught in time to make it into this release.  I think these are the only "critical" issues I'm aware of so I'm not concerned about "the floodgates opening" unless I hear of other clearly non-critical issues jump on too.

Thanks for doing the release Adrien!
~ David

On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 8:24 PM Erick Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
bq: How is this issue critical?

Well, a heck of a lot of clients I deal with use facets to do analysis
of their corpi, think of it as "poor man's stats". To tell them that
"well, the facet counts will not be accurate sometimes" is a tough
pill to swallow.

Where we're at with this is essentially telling Solr users "skip all
5.3 and 5.4 versions if you want your facet counts to be accurate".
Which sets the bar for releasing a 5.5 I guess.

That said I can deal with some fuzziness on facet counts, but I really
can't deal with index corruption so I guess it's a judgement call.

On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 11:41 AM, Robert Muir <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't think we should open the floodgates. How is this issue critical?
>
> We need to get the index corruption fix out. +1 to release as is.
>
> On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 11:03 AM, Ramkumar R. Aiyengar
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I missed the initial RC, but if we are going to re-spin (and looks like
>> Yonik has a patch up now), I would like to back-port SOLR-8418. Should be
>> fairly benign, let me know if there are any concerns..
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 5:59 PM, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks Yonik, let's see what this bug boils down to and how quickly we can
>>> get it fixed.

>> --
>> Not sent from my iPhone or my Blackberry or anyone else's

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.4.1 RC1

Mark Miller-3
Always nice to be patient and accommodating for reroll 1. You know, since we are all friends here. Best to get picky later on.

Mark
On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 9:27 PM [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Clearly to me, the facet bug is a critical one to get into the release (and so is index corruption) and I'm glad it was caught in time to make it into this release.  I think these are the only "critical" issues I'm aware of so I'm not concerned about "the floodgates opening" unless I hear of other clearly non-critical issues jump on too.

Thanks for doing the release Adrien!
~ David

On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 8:24 PM Erick Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
bq: How is this issue critical?

Well, a heck of a lot of clients I deal with use facets to do analysis
of their corpi, think of it as "poor man's stats". To tell them that
"well, the facet counts will not be accurate sometimes" is a tough
pill to swallow.

Where we're at with this is essentially telling Solr users "skip all
5.3 and 5.4 versions if you want your facet counts to be accurate".
Which sets the bar for releasing a 5.5 I guess.

That said I can deal with some fuzziness on facet counts, but I really
can't deal with index corruption so I guess it's a judgement call.

On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 11:41 AM, Robert Muir <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't think we should open the floodgates. How is this issue critical?
>
> We need to get the index corruption fix out. +1 to release as is.
>
> On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 11:03 AM, Ramkumar R. Aiyengar
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I missed the initial RC, but if we are going to re-spin (and looks like
>> Yonik has a patch up now), I would like to back-port SOLR-8418. Should be
>> fairly benign, let me know if there are any concerns..
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 5:59 PM, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks Yonik, let's see what this bug boils down to and how quickly we can
>>> get it fixed.

>> --
>> Not sent from my iPhone or my Blackberry or anyone else's

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.4.1 RC1

Shai Erera
I just posted a problem I ran into, while upgrading from Solr 5.3 to 5.4 (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-7844). I don't know if it should be another reason to hold on w/ 5.4.1. If there is a workaround, then it shouldn't. But otherwise (I hope I'm drawing the right conclusions here), SOLR-7844 fixed leader election in such a way that prevents upgrading from 5.3 (unless you take down the entire Solr cluster).

Shai

+1 to merge to 5.4. We'll either respin or do a 5.4.2 shortly so this fix will reach our users soon.

Le dim. 17 janv. 2016 à 04:00, Mark Miller <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Always nice to be patient and accommodating for reroll 1. You know, since we are all friends here. Best to get picky later on.

I don't think it is fair to qualify the fact that we should release the corruption fix as soon as possible as picky.

I can't make everybody happy here as there are two valid opposite arguments that we should release the corruption fix as soon as possible on the one hand and that it is ridiculous to release Solr with such a major bug on the other hand.

I won't release the current artifacts and will respin tomorrow morning EU time (about 12 hours from now). If someone could backport SOLR-8418 to the 5.4 branch until then, that would be great, otherwise I will do it myself before building the RC.