[VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.2.0 RC1

Ignacio Vera

Please vote for release candidate 1 for Lucene/Solr 8.2.0

The artifacts can be downloaded from:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.2.0-RC1-rev31d7ec7bbfdcd2c4cc61d9d35e962165410b65fe

You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:

python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py \

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.2.0-RC1-rev31d7ec7bbfdcd2c4cc61d9d35e962165410b65fe

Here is my +1

SUCCESS! [1:19:01.246595]

RE: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.2.0 RC1

Uwe Schindler

Hi,

I asked Policeman to run the smoke tester on my behalf, he responded:

SUCCESS! [3:04:23.084427]

(this was testing Java 8 and Java 9 module system). More details, see here: https://jenkins.thetaphi.de/job/Lucene-Solr-Release-Tester/25/console

I was also able to start Solr on Java 8 and Java 11 on Windows and index example documents. I also analyzed some Korean text, all fine. I also tried to run a custom plugin (query parsing and analysis) for one of my customers: worked. As I did not recompile it, it verifies that the analysis factory backwards break was prevented.

So +1 to release this.

Uwe

-----

Uwe Schindler

Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen

https://www.thetaphi.de

SUCCESS! [1:19:01.246595]

SUCCESS! [1:19:01.246595]

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.2.0 RC1

Tomoko Uchida
+1 SUCCESS! [1:31:37.834967]
(maybe non-binding)

And Luke works fine.

2019年7月21日(日) 21:52 Uwe Schindler <[hidden email]>:

> Java 13 also worked.
>

> -----
>
> Uwe Schindler
>
> Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
>
> https://www.thetaphi.de

Adrien Grand
Non binding indeed, but we appreciate help with testing releases!

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 3:03 PM Tomoko Uchida
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 SUCCESS! [1:31:37.834967]
> (maybe non-binding)
>
> And Luke works fine.
>
> 2019年7月21日(日) 21:52 Uwe Schindler <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Java 13 also worked.
> >

> > -----
> >
> > Uwe Schindler
> >
> > Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
> >
> > https://www.thetaphi.de

Adrien

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.2.0 RC1

Atri Sharma-3
+1 (non binding)

+1 SUCCESS! [1:17:24.828393]

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 7:07 PM Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Non binding indeed, but we appreciate help with testing releases!
>
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 3:03 PM Tomoko Uchida
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > +1 SUCCESS! [1:31:37.834967]
> > (maybe non-binding)
> >
> > And Luke works fine.
> >
> > 2019年7月21日(日) 21:52 Uwe Schindler <[hidden email]>:
> > >
> > > Java 13 also worked.
> > >

> > > -----
> > >
> > > Uwe Schindler
> > >
> > > Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
> > >
> > > https://www.thetaphi.de

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.2.0 RC1

Kevin Risden-3
+1

SUCCESS! [1:37:46.956358]

Kevin Risden

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 9:41 AM Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 (non binding)

+1 SUCCESS! [1:17:24.828393]

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 7:07 PM Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Non binding indeed, but we appreciate help with testing releases!
>
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 3:03 PM Tomoko Uchida
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > +1 SUCCESS! [1:31:37.834967]
> > (maybe non-binding)
> >
> > And Luke works fine.
> >
> > 2019年7月21日(日) 21:52 Uwe Schindler <[hidden email]>:
> > >
> > > Java 13 also worked.
> > >

> > > -----
> > >
> > > Uwe Schindler
> > >
> > > Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
> > >
> > > https://www.thetaphi.de

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.2.0 RC1

Michael Sokolov-4
I keep getting ssl.SSLError: [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED]

Maybe the system I am trying to run on is lacking a CA cert that is needed?

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 1:40 PM Kevin Risden <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> SUCCESS! [1:37:46.956358]
>
> Kevin Risden
>

> On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 9:41 AM Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> +1 (non binding)
>>
>> +1 SUCCESS! [1:17:24.828393]
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 7:07 PM Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Non binding indeed, but we appreciate help with testing releases!

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
Hmm, have a look at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-13647. I think it warrants a respin.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

<[hidden email]> wrote:

+1 SUCCESS! [1:31:37.834967]
(maybe non-binding)

And Luke works fine.

2019年7月21日(日) 21:52 Uwe Schindler <[hidden email]>:

Java 13 also worked.

-----

Uwe Schindler

Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen

https://www.thetaphi.de

Please vote for release candidate 1 for Lucene/Solr 8.2.0

The artifacts can be downloaded from:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.2.0-RC1-rev31d7ec7bbfdcd2c4cc61d9d35e962165410b65fe

You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:

python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py \

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.2.0-RC1-rev31d7ec7bbfdcd2c4cc61d9d35e962165410b65fe

Here is my +1

SUCCESS! [1:19:01.246595]

For additional commands, [hidden email]

--
Adrien

For additional commands, [hidden email]

Atri
Apache Concerted

For additional commands, [hidden email]

22. jul. 2019 kl. 23:46 skrev Michael Sokolov <[hidden email]>:

I keep getting ssl.SSLError: [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED]

Maybe the system I am trying to run on is lacking a CA cert that is needed?

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 1:40 PM Kevin Risden <[hidden email]> wrote:

+1

SUCCESS! [1:37:46.956358]

Kevin Risden

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 9:41 AM Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:

+1 (non binding)

+1 SUCCESS! [1:17:24.828393]

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 7:07 PM Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:

Non binding indeed, but we appreciate help with testing releases!

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 3:03 PM Tomoko Uchida
<[hidden email]> wrote:

+1 SUCCESS! [1:31:37.834967]
(maybe non-binding)

And Luke works fine.

2019721() 21:52 Uwe Schindler <[hidden email]>:

Java 13 also worked.

-----

Uwe Schindler

Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen

https://www.thetaphi.de

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.2.0 RC1

Martin Grigorov
+1 to release (non-binding)

Tested Lucene with my dailyjob application.

Regards,
Martin

SUCCESS! [1:19:01.246595]

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.2.0 RC1

Adrien Grand
+1 SUCCESS! [2:34:16.487011]

--
Adrien

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.2.0 RC1

Mikhail Khludnev-2
Hello,
Please be informed about BasicAuthIntegrationTest failures
I'll check it today. I propose to revert SOLR-13545 from branch_8_2 just to unblock respin, WDYT?

Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.2.0 RC1

Adrien Grand
Does it have a practical impact to users, or is the fact that it
triggers test failures the main annoyance? We have been trying to
release what was 8.1.2 at the time since June 12th and kept postponing
to the point that we decided to cancel 8.1.2 and focus on 8.2.0
instead. In my opinion we should set the bar very high for blockers
now.

--
Adrien

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.2.0 RC1

Mikhail Khludnev-2
Agree with you.

--
Adrien

Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.2.0 RC1

Ignacio Vera
Hi,

Two issues have been raised:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-13647: This is something that has always been released (included in  8.1.0 and 8.1.1). It is a bad default parameter when starting Solr in Linux machines and can be easily corrected by a user by commenting out the default or changing the value.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-13545: As I understand this change has introduced some flakiness in a tests but has no practical impact to the users.

I believe those issues are not affecting the functionality of Lucene / Solr and therefore I will continue with this vote without respin, otherwise someone state the opposite. I will be closing the vote tomorrow so please speak up before then if you have any concern.

--
Adrien

Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.2.0 RC1

Andrzej Białecki-2
+1

SUCCESS! [1:51:04.098987]

> On 23 Jul 2019, at 14:01, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> +1 SUCCESS! [2:34:16.487011]
>

> On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 8:35 PM Ignacio Vera <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Please vote for release candidate 1 for Lucene/Solr 8.2.0
>>

>> The artifacts can be downloaded from:
>>

>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.2.0-RC1-rev31d7ec7bbfdcd2c4cc61d9d35e962165410b65fe
>>

>> You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
>>

>> python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py \
>>
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.2.0-RC1-rev31d7ec7bbfdcd2c4cc61d9d35e962165410b65fe
>>
>> Here is my +1
>>
>> SUCCESS! [1:19:01.246595]
>

> --
> Adrien

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.2.0 RC1

Jason Gerlowski
To throw my 2 cents in on SOLR-13647.

Yes, users can fix the problem trivially by updating their solr.in.sh
_if_ they're aware of the issue.  And we recommend all users examine
their config carefully when upgrading Solr versions, so users _should_
be aware of the issue.  But at the same time, the expectation/promise
in previous releases has been that solr.in.sh has no effect (is
entirely commented out) by default.  So while we tell users to check
all config files for themselves, we also tell them elsewhere that
solr.in.sh is a bit of an exception out of the box.  I think the "well
the users should have checked" stance is a little simplistic in this
case.

I wouldn't be against a respin, though I won't scuttle the vote if no
one else feels strongly about it.  But if there's no respin I think we
should make an effort to highlight this potential issue either in the
release announcement, release notes, or CHANGES.txt.

Jason

On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 9:36 AM Andrzej Białecki <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> SUCCESS! [1:51:04.098987]
>
> > On 23 Jul 2019, at 14:01, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > +1 SUCCESS! [2:34:16.487011]
> >

> > On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 8:35 PM Ignacio Vera <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Please vote for release candidate 1 for Lucene/Solr 8.2.0
> >>

> >> The artifacts can be downloaded from:
> >>

> >> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.2.0-RC1-rev31d7ec7bbfdcd2c4cc61d9d35e962165410b65fe
> >>

> >> You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
> >>

> >> python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py \
> >>
> >> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.2.0-RC1-rev31d7ec7bbfdcd2c4cc61d9d35e962165410b65fe
> >>
> >> Here is my +1
> >>
> >> SUCCESS! [1:19:01.246595]
> >

> > --
> > Adrien

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.2.0 RC1

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
Jason, I’ll not veto the release either. Propose to author an ANNOUNCE mail to [hidden email] and Solr website news that states the bad default and ask users of 8.1/8.2 to fix their config.

Jason, would you be able to author and send such an email? I’m not at work until Monday..

PS: should the project have a security-announce list, RSS, slack channel or whatever that users could subscribe to for such notifications as well as CVE announcements?

Jan Høydahl