[VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.3.0 RC2

12

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.3.0 RC2

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
In my opinion it would have been better to delay the release announcement another day in order to collect release-notes feedback, than to rush it out.
But apology is accepted :) Being RM during such a stressful week is not ideal. You did well.
Looking forward to more detailed feedback regarding ReleaseWizard!

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

3. nov. 2019 kl. 18:42 skrev Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]>:

according to lucene’s release todo the rm must send a [RESULT][VOTE] email.
You're wrong.

The Lucene's Release TODO page says this:
"Announce that the vote has passed on the dev mailing list, ideally
with subject beginning [RESULT]"

^ I did announce on dev list that the vote passed. It wasn't done "ideally" ;-)

On Sun, Nov 3, 2019 at 11:03 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
<[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks Jan, for the encouragement and for the release wizard tool.
All of last week, I was battling several personal emergencies as well as professional responsibilities. I was so short on time that I cut some corners (in the following two places), *deliberately*.

1. I checked how often have we sent out a vote results thread in the past, and it was only a handful of times; hence I skipped it.
2. I had to run the build and publish script at least 4-5 times before the stars aligned (tests passed, i was ready at the exact moment GPG prompt appears for password etc). That left me so exhausted that i deferred the preparation of draft notes for a later moment. Also, after the Moin Moin to confluence migration, I spent at least 15-20 minutes to figure out how to create a release notes page at the right place. Manually curating the draft highlights/notes is the most labour intensive task and I propose some automation banking on a Jira field.

Since there was no chance for community to weigh in on the notes before it was released, i apologize for any mistakes in doing so. Here they are:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/LUCENE/ReleaseNote83
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLR/ReleaseNote83

Regards,
Ishan

On Sun, 3 Nov, 2019, 2:27 PM Jan Høydahl, <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ishan,

Congrats with the release!

I may have missed it, but where were the draft release notes for review and comments, I was waiting for an invitation...

And how many +1 PMC votes were there? I’m not in doubt that the vote passed, but according to lucene’s release todo the rm must send a [RESULT][VOTE] email.

Jan Høydahl

1. nov. 2019 kl. 19:13 skrev Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]>:

Right, didn't start a new thread just for the result of this vote. I
think such a thread has limited value and seems to be very sparingly
followed.
As of now, I'm waiting for mirrors to sync up (I'll wait few hours
more) and working on curating the changelog, updating the website etc.
Thanks and regards,
Ishan

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 9:56 PM Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have not seen the vote result thread yet?

Jan Høydahl

30. okt. 2019 kl. 22:46 skrev Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]>:

Thanks to all who voted. The vote has passed. I'll proceed to publish the artifacts next.

On Thu, 31 Oct, 2019, 2:44 AM Adrien Grand, <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ishan, should we close this vote?

Le ven. 25 oct. 2019 à 20:32, Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Please vote for release candidate 2 for Lucene/Solr 8.3.0

The artifacts can be downloaded from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.3.0-RC2-rev2aa586909b911e66e1d8863aa89f173d69f86cd2

You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:

python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py \
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.3.0-RC2-rev2aa586909b911e66e1d8863aa89f173d69f86cd2

The vote will be open for at least 3 working days, i.e. until

[*] +1  approve
[ ] +0  no opinion
[ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)

Here is my +1