[VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.3.1 RC1

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
Please vote for release candidate 1 for Lucene/Solr 8.3.1

The artifacts can be downloaded from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.3.1-RC1-rev049d53ebd6e0b2eba3f9c516f3645c821ba97bc1

You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:

python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py \
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.3.1-RC1-rev049d53ebd6e0b2eba3f9c516f3645c821ba97bc1

The vote will be open for 72 hours from now.

[x] +1  approve
[ ] +0  no opinion
[ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)

Here is my +1
----

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.3.1 RC1

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
-1  I think we need to include https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-13977

It appears to me that this bug causes the bin/solr create command to fail for all Windows 10 users? If so it warrants a respin.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

29. nov. 2019 kl. 00:47 skrev Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]>:

Please vote for release candidate 1 for Lucene/Solr 8.3.1

The artifacts can be downloaded from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.3.1-RC1-rev049d53ebd6e0b2eba3f9c516f3645c821ba97bc1

You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:

python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py \
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.3.1-RC1-rev049d53ebd6e0b2eba3f9c516f3645c821ba97bc1

The vote will be open for 72 hours from now.

[x] +1  approve
[ ] +0  no opinion
[ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)

Here is my +1
----

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.3.1 RC1

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
That issue can't be a blocker, since there are several workarounds
available to the user to create a collection/core.
Please reconsider the veto and release a 8.3.2, if needed.

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 5:56 AM Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> -1  I think we need to include https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-13977
>
> It appears to me that this bug causes the bin/solr create command to fail for all Windows 10 users? If so it warrants a respin.

> Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com
>
> 29. nov. 2019 kl. 00:47 skrev Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]>:
>
> Please vote for release candidate 1 for Lucene/Solr 8.3.1
>
> The artifacts can be downloaded from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.3.1-RC1-rev049d53ebd6e0b2eba3f9c516f3645c821ba97bc1
>
> You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
>
> python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py \
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.3.1-RC1-rev049d53ebd6e0b2eba3f9c516f3645c821ba97bc1
>
> The vote will be open for 72 hours from now.
>
> [x] +1  approve
> [ ] +0  no opinion
> [ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)
>
> Here is my +1
> ----

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.3.1 RC1

Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ्
Moreover, We don't fix all the bugs before a given release. Bugs are
categorized based on severity. Only blocker issues deserve to stop a
release. There can/will be more releases.

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 12:33 PM Noble Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not sure that bug needs to be a blocker for 8.3.1. it affects a small subset of users.
>
> On Fri, Nov 29, 2019, 11:26 AM Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> -1  I think we need to include https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-13977
>>
>> It appears to me that this bug causes the bin/solr create command to fail for all Windows 10 users? If so it warrants a respin.
>>
>> --
>> Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
>> Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com
>>
>> 29. nov. 2019 kl. 00:47 skrev Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Please vote for release candidate 1 for Lucene/Solr 8.3.1
>>
>> The artifacts can be downloaded from:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.3.1-RC1-rev049d53ebd6e0b2eba3f9c516f3645c821ba97bc1
>>
>> You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
>>
>> python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py \
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.3.1-RC1-rev049d53ebd6e0b2eba3f9c516f3645c821ba97bc1
>>
>> The vote will be open for 72 hours from now.
>>
>> [x] +1  approve
>> [ ] +0  no opinion
>> [ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)
>>
>> Here is my +1
>> ----

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.3.1 RC1

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
I've downgraded the priority of
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-13977 to Major from
Blocker. Jan, please withdraw the veto immediately.

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 7:09 AM Noble Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Moreover, We don't fix all the bugs before a given release. Bugs are
> categorized based on severity. Only blocker issues deserve to stop a
> release. There can/will be more releases.
>
> On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 12:33 PM Noble Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure that bug needs to be a blocker for 8.3.1. it affects a small subset of users.
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 29, 2019, 11:26 AM Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> -1  I think we need to include https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-13977
> >>
> >> It appears to me that this bug causes the bin/solr create command to fail for all Windows 10 users? If so it warrants a respin.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
> >> Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com
> >>
> >> 29. nov. 2019 kl. 00:47 skrev Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]>:
> >>
> >> Please vote for release candidate 1 for Lucene/Solr 8.3.1
> >>
> >> The artifacts can be downloaded from:
> >> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.3.1-RC1-rev049d53ebd6e0b2eba3f9c516f3645c821ba97bc1
> >>
> >> You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
> >>
> >> python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py \
> >> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.3.1-RC1-rev049d53ebd6e0b2eba3f9c516f3645c821ba97bc1
> >>
> >> The vote will be open for 72 hours from now.
> >>
> >> [x] +1  approve
> >> [ ] +0  no opinion
> >> [ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)
> >>
> >> Here is my +1
> >> ----

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.3.1 RC1

david.w.smiley@gmail.com

IMO The presence of a bug is not a reason to veto, unless perhaps it's a security bug.  If Ishan prefers to release 8.3.1 without waiting for that bug to be 100% fixed/tested, it's up to him as the RM, I think.  There is time & effort in these releases; it's not a trivial matter to just delay or add new items.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer

On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 8:48 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've downgraded the priority of
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-13977 to Major from
Blocker. Jan, please withdraw the veto immediately.

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 7:09 AM Noble Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Moreover, We don't fix all the bugs before a given release. Bugs are
> categorized based on severity. Only blocker issues deserve to stop a
> release. There can/will be more releases.
>
> On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 12:33 PM Noble Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure that bug needs to be a blocker for 8.3.1. it affects a small subset of users.
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 29, 2019, 11:26 AM Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> -1  I think we need to include https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-13977
> >>
> >> It appears to me that this bug causes the bin/solr create command to fail for all Windows 10 users? If so it warrants a respin.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
> >> Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com
> >>
> >> 29. nov. 2019 kl. 00:47 skrev Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]>:
> >>
> >> Please vote for release candidate 1 for Lucene/Solr 8.3.1
> >>
> >> The artifacts can be downloaded from:
> >> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.3.1-RC1-rev049d53ebd6e0b2eba3f9c516f3645c821ba97bc1
> >>
> >> You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
> >>
> >> python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py \
> >> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.3.1-RC1-rev049d53ebd6e0b2eba3f9c516f3645c821ba97bc1
> >>
> >> The vote will be open for 72 hours from now.
> >>
> >> [x] +1  approve
> >> [ ] +0  no opinion
> >> [ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)
> >>
> >> Here is my +1
> >> ----

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.3.1 RC1

david.w.smiley@gmail.com
There is ASF policy on releases:

For a release vote to pass, a minimum of three positive votes and more positive than negative votes MUST be cast. Releases may not be vetoed. Votes cast by PMC members are binding.

So anyone may vote -1 but it's not considered a veto.  Jan didn't say it was a veto either, by the way.

On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 11:15 PM David Smiley <[hidden email]> wrote:

IMO The presence of a bug is not a reason to veto, unless perhaps it's a security bug.  If Ishan prefers to release 8.3.1 without waiting for that bug to be 100% fixed/tested, it's up to him as the RM, I think.  There is time & effort in these releases; it's not a trivial matter to just delay or add new items.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer

On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 8:48 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've downgraded the priority of
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-13977 to Major from
Blocker. Jan, please withdraw the veto immediately.

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 7:09 AM Noble Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Moreover, We don't fix all the bugs before a given release. Bugs are
> categorized based on severity. Only blocker issues deserve to stop a
> release. There can/will be more releases.
>
> On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 12:33 PM Noble Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure that bug needs to be a blocker for 8.3.1. it affects a small subset of users.
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 29, 2019, 11:26 AM Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> -1  I think we need to include https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-13977
> >>
> >> It appears to me that this bug causes the bin/solr create command to fail for all Windows 10 users? If so it warrants a respin.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
> >> Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com
> >>
> >> 29. nov. 2019 kl. 00:47 skrev Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]>:
> >>
> >> Please vote for release candidate 1 for Lucene/Solr 8.3.1
> >>
> >> The artifacts can be downloaded from:
> >> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.3.1-RC1-rev049d53ebd6e0b2eba3f9c516f3645c821ba97bc1
> >>
> >> You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
> >>
> >> python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py \
> >> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.3.1-RC1-rev049d53ebd6e0b2eba3f9c516f3645c821ba97bc1
> >>
> >> The vote will be open for 72 hours from now.
> >>
> >> [x] +1  approve
> >> [ ] +0  no opinion
> >> [ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)
> >>
> >> Here is my +1
> >> ----

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.3.1 RC1

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
Thanks David! Based on what I see about that bug, I feel we should continue with the release.

On Fri, 29 Nov, 2019, 9:59 AM David Smiley, <[hidden email]> wrote:
There is ASF policy on releases:

For a release vote to pass, a minimum of three positive votes and more positive than negative votes MUST be cast. Releases may not be vetoed. Votes cast by PMC members are binding.

So anyone may vote -1 but it's not considered a veto.  Jan didn't say it was a veto either, by the way.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer

On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 11:15 PM David Smiley <[hidden email]> wrote:

IMO The presence of a bug is not a reason to veto, unless perhaps it's a security bug.  If Ishan prefers to release 8.3.1 without waiting for that bug to be 100% fixed/tested, it's up to him as the RM, I think.  There is time & effort in these releases; it's not a trivial matter to just delay or add new items.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer

On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 8:48 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've downgraded the priority of
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-13977 to Major from
Blocker. Jan, please withdraw the veto immediately.

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 7:09 AM Noble Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Moreover, We don't fix all the bugs before a given release. Bugs are
> categorized based on severity. Only blocker issues deserve to stop a
> release. There can/will be more releases.
>
> On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 12:33 PM Noble Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure that bug needs to be a blocker for 8.3.1. it affects a small subset of users.
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 29, 2019, 11:26 AM Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> -1  I think we need to include https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-13977
> >>
> >> It appears to me that this bug causes the bin/solr create command to fail for all Windows 10 users? If so it warrants a respin.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
> >> Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com
> >>
> >> 29. nov. 2019 kl. 00:47 skrev Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]>:
> >>
> >> Please vote for release candidate 1 for Lucene/Solr 8.3.1
> >>
> >> The artifacts can be downloaded from:
> >> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.3.1-RC1-rev049d53ebd6e0b2eba3f9c516f3645c821ba97bc1
> >>
> >> You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
> >>
> >> python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py \
> >> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.3.1-RC1-rev049d53ebd6e0b2eba3f9c516f3645c821ba97bc1
> >>
> >> The vote will be open for 72 hours from now.
> >>
> >> [x] +1  approve
> >> [ ] +0  no opinion
> >> [ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)
> >>
> >> Here is my +1
> >> ----

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.3.1 RC1

Shalin Shekhar Mangar
Ishan, the smoke tester fails with the following error:

Test Solr...
  test basics...
  check changes HTML...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 1485, in <module>
    main()
  File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 1411, in main
    downloadOnly=c.download_only)
  File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 1469, in smokeTest
    checkSigs('solr', solrPath, version, tmpDir, isSigned, keysFile)
  File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 321, in checkSigs
    testChanges(project, version, changesURL)
  File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 369, in testChanges
    checkChangesContent(s, version, changesURL, project, True)
  File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 428, in checkChangesContent
    raise RuntimeError('%s has duplicate section "%s" under release "%s"' % (name, text, release))
RuntimeError: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.3.1-RC1-rev049d53ebd6e0b2eba3f9c516f3645c821ba97bc1/solr/changes/Changes.html has duplicate section "Release 8.3.1 " under release "8.3.1"

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.3.1 RC1

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
I had uploaded the wrong artifacts. Even though I have the correct
artifacts with me locally, *I'll re-spin now* to avoid confusion.
Apologies for the trouble.

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 10:48 AM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Shalin, I'll check and report.
>
> On Fri, 29 Nov, 2019, 10:41 AM Shalin Shekhar Mangar, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Ishan, the smoke tester fails with the following error:
>>
>> Test Solr...
>>   test basics...
>>   check changes HTML...
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 1485, in <module>
>>     main()
>>   File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 1411, in main
>>     downloadOnly=c.download_only)
>>   File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 1469, in smokeTest
>>     checkSigs('solr', solrPath, version, tmpDir, isSigned, keysFile)
>>   File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 321, in checkSigs
>>     testChanges(project, version, changesURL)
>>   File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 369, in testChanges
>>     checkChangesContent(s, version, changesURL, project, True)
>>   File "dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py", line 428, in checkChangesContent
>>     raise RuntimeError('%s has duplicate section "%s" under release "%s"' % (name, text, release))
>> RuntimeError: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.3.1-RC1-rev049d53ebd6e0b2eba3f9c516f3645c821ba97bc1/solr/changes/Changes.html has duplicate section "Release 8.3.1 " under release "8.3.1"
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 5:17 AM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Please vote for release candidate 1 for Lucene/Solr 8.3.1
>>>
>>> The artifacts can be downloaded from:
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.3.1-RC1-rev049d53ebd6e0b2eba3f9c516f3645c821ba97bc1
>>>
>>> You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
>>>
>>> python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py \
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.3.1-RC1-rev049d53ebd6e0b2eba3f9c516f3645c821ba97bc1
>>>
>>> The vote will be open for 72 hours from now.
>>>
>>> [x] +1  approve
>>> [ ] +0  no opinion
>>> [ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)
>>>
>>> Here is my +1
>>> ----

>> --
>> Regards,
>> Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.3.1 RC1

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
I withdraw my -1 and change to a -0 if you rather want a 8.3.2

Note that a -1 is not a veto, as long. A release cannot be vetoed. As long as there are more +1 votes than -1 the vote passes!

Jan Høydahl

29. nov. 2019 kl. 05:29 skrev David Smiley <[hidden email]>:

There is ASF policy on releases:

For a release vote to pass, a minimum of three positive votes and more positive than negative votes MUST be cast. Releases may not be vetoed. Votes cast by PMC members are binding.

So anyone may vote -1 but it's not considered a veto.  Jan didn't say it was a veto either, by the way.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer

On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 11:15 PM David Smiley <[hidden email]> wrote:

IMO The presence of a bug is not a reason to veto, unless perhaps it's a security bug.  If Ishan prefers to release 8.3.1 without waiting for that bug to be 100% fixed/tested, it's up to him as the RM, I think.  There is time & effort in these releases; it's not a trivial matter to just delay or add new items.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer

On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 8:48 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've downgraded the priority of
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-13977 to Major from
Blocker. Jan, please withdraw the veto immediately.

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 7:09 AM Noble Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Moreover, We don't fix all the bugs before a given release. Bugs are
> categorized based on severity. Only blocker issues deserve to stop a
> release. There can/will be more releases.
>
> On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 12:33 PM Noble Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure that bug needs to be a blocker for 8.3.1. it affects a small subset of users.
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 29, 2019, 11:26 AM Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> -1  I think we need to include https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-13977
> >>
> >> It appears to me that this bug causes the bin/solr create command to fail for all Windows 10 users? If so it warrants a respin.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
> >> Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com
> >>
> >> 29. nov. 2019 kl. 00:47 skrev Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]>:
> >>
> >> Please vote for release candidate 1 for Lucene/Solr 8.3.1
> >>
> >> The artifacts can be downloaded from:
> >> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.3.1-RC1-rev049d53ebd6e0b2eba3f9c516f3645c821ba97bc1
> >>
> >> You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
> >>
> >> python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py \
> >> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.3.1-RC1-rev049d53ebd6e0b2eba3f9c516f3645c821ba97bc1
> >>
> >> The vote will be open for 72 hours from now.
> >>
> >> [x] +1  approve
> >> [ ] +0  no opinion
> >> [ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)
> >>
> >> Here is my +1
> >> ----

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.3.1 RC1

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
May I recommend the ReleaseWizard to generate those upload commands? :)

Jan Høydahl