[VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 RC1

12

[VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 RC1

Mayya Sharipova-2
Please vote for release candidate 1 for Lucene/Solr 8.9.0

The artifacts can be downloaded from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.9.0-RC1-rev05c8a6f0163fe4c330e93775e8e91f3ab66a3f80

You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:

python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py \
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.9.0-RC1-rev05c8a6f0163fe4c330e93775e8e91f3ab66a3f80

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours i.e. until 2021-06-16 02:00 UTC.

[ ] +1  approve
[ ] +0  no opinion
[ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)

Here is my +1
SUCCESS! [0:01:43.815224]

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 RC1

Robert Muir
Thank you Mayya for working on the release!

I'm sorry, but I have a -1 as the smoke tester fails on my machine:

TLDR:
   [junit4] Tests with failures [seed: FB8461777F8A9E7D] (first 10 out of 26):
   [junit4]   -
org.apache.solr.cloud.api.collections.TestHdfsCloudBackupRestore
(suite)
   [junit4]   - org.apache.solr.update.TestHdfsUpdateLog (suite)
   [junit4]   - org.apache.solr.store.hdfs.HdfsDirectoryTest (suite)
   [junit4]   - org.apache.solr.cloud.SolrCLIZkUtilsTest.testDownconfig
   [junit4]   - org.apache.solr.cloud.SolrCLIZkUtilsTest.testLs
   [junit4]   - org.apache.solr.cloud.SolrCLIZkUtilsTest.testRm
   [junit4]   - org.apache.solr.cloud.SolrCLIZkUtilsTest.testCp
   [junit4]   - org.apache.solr.cloud.SolrCLIZkUtilsTest.testMv
   [junit4]   - org.apache.solr.cloud.SolrCLIZkUtilsTest.testUpconfig
   [junit4]   -
org.apache.solr.cloud.api.collections.HdfsCloudIncrementalBackupTest
(suite)

A few notes below, commands, repos, branches, etc I used to get the
smoker to run on my machine, maybe it helps others with reproduction:

think:lucene-solr[branch_8_9]$
JAVA_HOME=/home/rmuir/Downloads/jdk8u282-b08 python3 -u
dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.9.0-RC1-rev05c8a6f0163fe4c330e93775e8e91f3ab66a3f80
Revision: 05c8a6f0163fe4c330e93775e8e91f3ab66a3f80
Java 1.8 JAVA_HOME=/home/rmuir/Downloads/jdk8u282-b08
NOTE: output encoding is utf-8

I got a few warnings related to GPG signing, such as:

 verify trust
      GPG: gpg: WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature!

FWIW I think the issue is, Only Jim has signed your key, but JIm's key
is only signed by Martijn's expired key, so there's no good web of
trust (sorry in advance, if i debugged the gpg shit wrong here). Let's
consider a followup improvement to beef up the trust amongst
committers, so that users have improved confidence in the artifacts:
we can probably plan this on slack or whatever is trendy now. I think
the TLDR is, we all confirm we are the people we think we are. Happy
to hold up my driver's license to the screen or whatever is needed,
I'm already fully compromised :)

https://www.cryptnet.net/fdp/crypto/keysigning_party/en/keysigning_party.html

As far as solr tests, they ran for hours and hours. I checked with
tools such as 'top' and 'jstack' to try to confirm they were still
doing stuff. But even on my 2-core laptop, I monitored CPU usage of ~
30% while tests were being run, seems they were sleeping... and
honestly most of that cpu usage was my pandora window playing reggae,
attempt to drown out all the cicadas...

I don't have much to offer here. I guess they pass on someone's
machine, but they don't pass here. They print so many MB of output
that they overflow my terminal's scrollback buffer... so I'm not even
sure what I can do to help debug the situation. If there are text
files created by the smoketester that I could upload to help out, will
be happy to do so.

Logs available at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-15473

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 11:54 PM Robert Muir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> be happy to do so.
>
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 10:14 PM Mayya Sharipova
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Please vote for release candidate 1 for Lucene/Solr 8.9.0
> >
> > The artifacts can be downloaded from:
> > https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.9.0-RC1-rev05c8a6f0163fe4c330e93775e8e91f3ab66a3f80
> >
> > You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
> >
> > python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py \
> > https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.9.0-RC1-rev05c8a6f0163fe4c330e93775e8e91f3ab66a3f80
> >
> > The vote will be open for at least 72 hours i.e. until 2021-06-16 02:00 UTC.
> >
> > [ ] +1  approve
> > [ ] +0  no opinion
> > [ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)
> >
> > Here is my +1
> > SUCCESS! [0:01:43.815224]

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 RC1

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
Tested on MacOS (Intel), No other verification than smoketester done

SUCCESS! [1:08:19.953492]

+1

Robert - not sure if one test-run failure should cancel the build. Our smoketester and tests are sometimes a bit picky, and does not mean that the artifacts are faulty.

Jan

SUCCESS! [0:01:43.815224]

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 RC1

Robert Muir
Jan, I'm using the same automated smoketester as everyone else. It
fails, so my vote is -1.

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 7:22 AM Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tested on MacOS (Intel), No other verification than smoketester done
>
> SUCCESS! [1:08:19.953492]
>
> +1
>
> Robert - not sure if one test-run failure should cancel the build. Our smoketester and tests are sometimes a bit picky, and does not mean that the artifacts are faulty.
>
> Jan
>
> 11. jun. 2021 kl. 04:14 skrev Mayya Sharipova <[hidden email]>:
>
> Please vote for release candidate 1 for Lucene/Solr 8.9.0
>
> The artifacts can be downloaded from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.9.0-RC1-rev05c8a6f0163fe4c330e93775e8e91f3ab66a3f80
>
> You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
>
> python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py \
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.9.0-RC1-rev05c8a6f0163fe4c330e93775e8e91f3ab66a3f80
>
> The vote will be open for at least 72 hours i.e. until 2021-06-16 02:00 UTC.
>
> [ ] +1  approve
> [ ] +0  no opinion
> [ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)
>
> Here is my +1
> SUCCESS! [0:01:43.815224]

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 RC1

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
Does it reproduce for you? Are you suspecting a bug in Solr that we cannot ship, or only a bug in the smoketester py itself? The -1 should be about the released bits, not about other tooling?
My JVM is OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (AdoptOpenJDK)(build 25.292-b10, mixed mode)

Jan

> 11. jun. 2021 kl. 13:48 skrev Robert Muir <[hidden email]>:
>
> Jan, I'm using the same automated smoketester as everyone else. It
> fails, so my vote is -1.
>
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 7:22 AM Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Tested on MacOS (Intel), No other verification than smoketester done
>>
>> SUCCESS! [1:08:19.953492]
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Robert - not sure if one test-run failure should cancel the build. Our smoketester and tests are sometimes a bit picky, and does not mean that the artifacts are faulty.
>>
>> Jan
>>
>> 11. jun. 2021 kl. 04:14 skrev Mayya Sharipova <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Please vote for release candidate 1 for Lucene/Solr 8.9.0
>>
>> The artifacts can be downloaded from:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.9.0-RC1-rev05c8a6f0163fe4c330e93775e8e91f3ab66a3f80
>>
>> You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
>>
>> python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py \
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.9.0-RC1-rev05c8a6f0163fe4c330e93775e8e91f3ab66a3f80
>>
>> The vote will be open for at least 72 hours i.e. until 2021-06-16 02:00 UTC.
>>
>> [ ] +1  approve
>> [ ] +0  no opinion
>> [ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)
>>
>> Here is my +1
>> SUCCESS! [0:01:43.815224]

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 RC1

Robert Muir
Dude, if you can vote +1 when the smoketester passes, then I can vote
-1 when it fails. This is my vote, not your vote. You don't get to
decide about it, or change it in any way.

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 8:04 AM Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does it reproduce for you? Are you suspecting a bug in Solr that we cannot ship, or only a bug in the smoketester py itself? The -1 should be about the released bits, not about other tooling?
> My JVM is OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (AdoptOpenJDK)(build 25.292-b10, mixed mode)
>
> Jan
>
> > 11. jun. 2021 kl. 13:48 skrev Robert Muir <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Jan, I'm using the same automated smoketester as everyone else. It
> > fails, so my vote is -1.
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 7:22 AM Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Tested on MacOS (Intel), No other verification than smoketester done
> >>
> >> SUCCESS! [1:08:19.953492]
> >>
> >> +1
> >>
> >> Robert - not sure if one test-run failure should cancel the build. Our smoketester and tests are sometimes a bit picky, and does not mean that the artifacts are faulty.
> >>
> >> Jan
> >>
> >> 11. jun. 2021 kl. 04:14 skrev Mayya Sharipova <[hidden email]>:
> >>
> >> Please vote for release candidate 1 for Lucene/Solr 8.9.0
> >>
> >> The artifacts can be downloaded from:
> >> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.9.0-RC1-rev05c8a6f0163fe4c330e93775e8e91f3ab66a3f80
> >>
> >> You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
> >>
> >> python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py \
> >> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.9.0-RC1-rev05c8a6f0163fe4c330e93775e8e91f3ab66a3f80
> >>
> >> The vote will be open for at least 72 hours i.e. until 2021-06-16 02:00 UTC.
> >>
> >> [ ] +1  approve
> >> [ ] +0  no opinion
> >> [ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)
> >>
> >> Here is my +1
> >> SUCCESS! [0:01:43.815224]

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 RC1

Mayya Sharipova-2
Thanks very much Robert for detailed investigations, and thanks Jan for your tests.

I will sort out the problem with my GPG key, but I  am not sure what to do with this SOLR-15473. I've run the smoker test again, and it passed on my Mac again: SUCCESS! [1:00:03.751500]
Would appreciate more guidance, if we need to resolve SOLR-15473 before 8.9 release.

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 8:09 AM Robert Muir <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dude, if you can vote +1 when the smoketester passes, then I can vote
-1 when it fails. This is my vote, not your vote. You don't get to
decide about it, or change it in any way.

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 8:04 AM Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does it reproduce for you? Are you suspecting a bug in Solr that we cannot ship, or only a bug in the smoketester py itself? The -1 should be about the released bits, not about other tooling?
> My JVM is OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (AdoptOpenJDK)(build 25.292-b10, mixed mode)
>
> Jan
>
> > 11. jun. 2021 kl. 13:48 skrev Robert Muir <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Jan, I'm using the same automated smoketester as everyone else. It
> > fails, so my vote is -1.
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 7:22 AM Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Tested on MacOS (Intel), No other verification than smoketester done
> >>
> >> SUCCESS! [1:08:19.953492]
> >>
> >> +1
> >>
> >> Robert - not sure if one test-run failure should cancel the build. Our smoketester and tests are sometimes a bit picky, and does not mean that the artifacts are faulty.
> >>
> >> Jan
> >>
> >> 11. jun. 2021 kl. 04:14 skrev Mayya Sharipova <[hidden email].INVALID>:
> >>
> >> Please vote for release candidate 1 for Lucene/Solr 8.9.0
> >>
> >> The artifacts can be downloaded from:
> >> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.9.0-RC1-rev05c8a6f0163fe4c330e93775e8e91f3ab66a3f80
> >>
> >> You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
> >>
> >> python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py \
> >> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.9.0-RC1-rev05c8a6f0163fe4c330e93775e8e91f3ab66a3f80
> >>
> >> The vote will be open for at least 72 hours i.e. until 2021-06-16 02:00 UTC.
> >>
> >> [ ] +1  approve
> >> [ ] +0  no opinion
> >> [ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)
> >>
> >> Here is my +1
> >> SUCCESS! [0:01:43.815224]

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 RC1

Michael Sokolov-4
I tried to comment on the JIRA, but it seems to be timing out. Now
when I go back, SOLR issues are marked as "You can't view this issue
It may have been deleted or you don't have permission to view it."
Waat?

Anyway, Robert you suggested there that maybe the problem is being
surfaced by using a different working directory for the tests. Do you
think that the tests need to be fixed so that they work with this
tmp.workDir parameter? What if you were to cd to the place you want to
use as the working dir and call the smokeTester from there?

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 9:29 AM Mayya Sharipova
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks very much Robert for detailed investigations, and thanks Jan for your tests.
>
> I will sort out the problem with my GPG key, but I  am not sure what to do with this SOLR-15473. I've run the smoker test again, and it passed on my Mac again: SUCCESS! [1:00:03.751500]
> Would appreciate more guidance, if we need to resolve SOLR-15473 before 8.9 release.
>

> On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 8:09 AM Robert Muir <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Dude, if you can vote +1 when the smoketester passes, then I can vote
>> -1 when it fails. This is my vote, not your vote. You don't get to
>> decide about it, or change it in any way.
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 8:04 AM Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Does it reproduce for you? Are you suspecting a bug in Solr that we cannot ship, or only a bug in the smoketester py itself? The -1 should be about the released bits, not about other tooling?
>> > My JVM is OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (AdoptOpenJDK)(build 25.292-b10, mixed mode)
>> >
>> > Jan

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 RC1

Robert Muir
I nuked all my settings and am rerunning with all defaults. I'll
report back what happens/upload log when/if it finishes or fails.

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 9:45 AM Michael Sokolov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I tried to comment on the JIRA, but it seems to be timing out. Now
> when I go back, SOLR issues are marked as "You can't view this issue
> It may have been deleted or you don't have permission to view it."
> Waat?
>
> Anyway, Robert you suggested there that maybe the problem is being
> surfaced by using a different working directory for the tests. Do you
> think that the tests need to be fixed so that they work with this
> tmp.workDir parameter? What if you were to cd to the place you want to
> use as the working dir and call the smokeTester from there?
>

> On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 9:29 AM Mayya Sharipova
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks very much Robert for detailed investigations, and thanks Jan for your tests.
> >
> > I will sort out the problem with my GPG key, but I  am not sure what to do with this SOLR-15473. I've run the smoker test again, and it passed on my Mac again: SUCCESS! [1:00:03.751500]
> > Would appreciate more guidance, if we need to resolve SOLR-15473 before 8.9 release.
> >

> > On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 8:09 AM Robert Muir <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Dude, if you can vote +1 when the smoketester passes, then I can vote
> >> -1 when it fails. This is my vote, not your vote. You don't get to
> >> decide about it, or change it in any way.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 RC1

Michael Sokolov-4
I ran the smoketester (FWIW I always have to pass --tmp-dir /local/tmp
because my /tmp is not big enough for this thing), but it failed for
me:

   [junit4] Tests with failures [seed: D9C1F978D5A8B019]:
   [junit4]   - org.apache.solr.util.TestCircuitBreaker.testResponseWithCBTiming

Have to say, a test with the word "Timing" in the name makes me wary.
I don't know what the test does exactly, but if it is sensitive to
timing, that is a recipe for unreliability. Maybe it is just including
timing in the response?

I re-ran the test with ant test -Dtestcase=TestCircuitBreaker
-Dtests.seed=D9C1F978D5A8B019 and it passed ...

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 9:48 AM Robert Muir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I nuked all my settings and am rerunning with all defaults. I'll
> report back what happens/upload log when/if it finishes or fails.
>
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 9:45 AM Michael Sokolov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I tried to comment on the JIRA, but it seems to be timing out. Now
> > when I go back, SOLR issues are marked as "You can't view this issue
> > It may have been deleted or you don't have permission to view it."
> > Waat?
> >
> > Anyway, Robert you suggested there that maybe the problem is being
> > surfaced by using a different working directory for the tests. Do you
> > think that the tests need to be fixed so that they work with this
> > tmp.workDir parameter? What if you were to cd to the place you want to
> > use as the working dir and call the smokeTester from there?
> >

> > On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 9:29 AM Mayya Sharipova
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks very much Robert for detailed investigations, and thanks Jan for your tests.
> > >
> > > I will sort out the problem with my GPG key, but I  am not sure what to do with this SOLR-15473. I've run the smoker test again, and it passed on my Mac again: SUCCESS! [1:00:03.751500]
> > > Would appreciate more guidance, if we need to resolve SOLR-15473 before 8.9 release.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 RC1

Michael Sokolov-4
The whole shebang passed on round two for me: SUCCESS!
[1:00:03.729685]. I guess I'm a +1 to release

Achterdiek 19, 28357 Bremen
https://www.thetaphi.de

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 RC1

Robert Muir
After nuking all settings (i simply removed the whole
lucene.build.properties in my homedir), it still fails. Seems maybe
like less failures though?

I will upload logs to the JIRA issue.

   [junit4] Completed [939/939 (4!)] on J2 in 383.02s, 2 tests, 1
failure <<< FAILURES!
   [junit4]
   [junit4]
   [junit4] Tests with failures [seed: AC205159663D0461]:
   [junit4]   - org.apache.solr.update.TestHdfsUpdateLog.testFSThreadSafety
   [junit4]   - org.apache.solr.update.TestHdfsUpdateLog (suite)
   [junit4]   -
org.apache.solr.core.HdfsDirectoryFactoryTest.testLocalityReporter
   [junit4]   - org.apache.solr.cloud.hdfs.HdfsRecoverLeaseTest.testBasic
   [junit4]   -
org.apache.solr.cloud.hdfs.HdfsRecoverLeaseTest.testMultiThreaded
   [junit4]   - org.apache.solr.cloud.hdfs.HdfsRecoverLeaseTest (suite)
   [junit4]   -
org.apache.solr.cloud.api.collections.TestLocalFSCloudBackupRestore.test
   [junit4]
   [junit4]
   [junit4] JVM J0:     0.68 ..  1197.30 =  1196.62s
   [junit4] JVM J1:     0.71 ..  1113.59 =  1112.89s
   [junit4] JVM J2:     0.68 ..  1406.83 =  1406.15s
   [junit4] Execution time total: 23 minutes 26 seconds
   [junit4] Tests summary: 939 suites (5 ignored), 4884 tests, 3
suite-level errors, 4 errors, 1 failure, 2457 ignored (517
assumptions)

BUILD FAILED
/tmp/smoke_lucene_8.9.0_05c8a6f0163fe4c330e93775e8e91f3ab66a3f80/unpack/solr-8.9.0/solr/build.xml:231:
The following error occurred while executing this line:
/tmp/smoke_lucene_8.9.0_05c8a6f0163fe4c330e93775e8e91f3ab66a3f80/unpack/solr-8.9.0/solr/common-build.xml:550:
The following error occurred while executing this line:
/tmp/smoke_lucene_8.9.0_05c8a6f0163fe4c330e93775e8e91f3ab66a3f80/unpack/solr-8.9.0/lucene/common-build.xml:1608:
The following error occurred while executing this line:
/tmp/smoke_lucene_8.9.0_05c8a6f0163fe4c330e93775e8e91f3ab66a3f80/unpack/solr-8.9.0/lucene/common-build.xml:1135:
There were test failures: 939 suites (5 ignored), 4884 tests, 3
suite-level errors, 4 errors, 1 failure, 2457 ignored (517
assumptions) [seed: AC205159663D0461]

Total time: 24 minutes 16 seconds

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/rmuir/workspace/lucene-solr/dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py",
line 1495, in <module>
    main()
  File "/home/rmuir/workspace/lucene-solr/dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py",
line 1417, in main
    smokeTest(c.java, c.url, c.revision, c.version, c.tmp_dir,
c.is_signed, c.local_keys, ' '.join(c.test_args),
  File "/home/rmuir/workspace/lucene-solr/dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py",
line 1483, in smokeTest
    solrSrcUnpackPath = unpackAndVerify(java, 'solr', tmpDir,
'solr-%s-src.tgz' % version,
  File "/home/rmuir/workspace/lucene-solr/dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py",
line 566, in unpackAndVerify
    verifyUnpacked(java, project, artifact, unpackPath, gitRevision,
version, testArgs, tmpDir, baseURL)
  File "/home/rmuir/workspace/lucene-solr/dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py",
line 687, in verifyUnpacked
    java.run_java8('ant clean test -Dtests.slow=false %s' % testArgs,
'%s/test.log' % unpackPath)
  File "/home/rmuir/workspace/lucene-solr/dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py",
line 1212, in run_java
    run('%s; %s' % (cmd_prefix, cmd), logfile)
  File "/home/rmuir/workspace/lucene-solr/dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py",
line 500, in run
    raise RuntimeError('command "%s" failed; see log file %s' %
(command, logPath))
RuntimeError: command "export
JAVA_HOME="/home/rmuir/Downloads/jdk8u282-b08"
PATH="/home/rmuir/Downloads/jdk8u282-b08/bin:$PATH"
JAVACMD="/home/rmuir/Downloads/jdk8u282-b08/bin/java"; ant clean test
-Dtests.slow=false -Dtests.badapples=false " failed; see log file
/tmp/smoke_lucene_8.9.0_05c8a6f0163fe4c330e93775e8e91f3ab66a3f80/unpack/solr-8.9.0/test.log

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 9:47 AM Robert Muir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I nuked all my settings and am rerunning with all defaults. I'll
> report back what happens/upload log when/if it finishes or fails.
>
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 9:45 AM Michael Sokolov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I tried to comment on the JIRA, but it seems to be timing out. Now
> > when I go back, SOLR issues are marked as "You can't view this issue
> > It may have been deleted or you don't have permission to view it."
> > Waat?
> >
> > Anyway, Robert you suggested there that maybe the problem is being
> > surfaced by using a different working directory for the tests. Do you
> > think that the tests need to be fixed so that they work with this
> > tmp.workDir parameter? What if you were to cd to the place you want to
> > use as the working dir and call the smokeTester from there?
> >

> > On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 9:29 AM Mayya Sharipova
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks very much Robert for detailed investigations, and thanks Jan for your tests.
> > >
> > > I will sort out the problem with my GPG key, but I  am not sure what to do with this SOLR-15473. I've run the smoker test again, and it passed on my Mac again: SUCCESS! [1:00:03.751500]
> > > Would appreciate more guidance, if we need to resolve SOLR-15473 before 8.9 release.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 RC1

Atri Sharma-3
It is not depending on timing -- it just includes the timing in its
output (it basically diffs the response message with and without CBs).

Atri

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 8:02 PM Michael Sokolov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I ran the smoketester (FWIW I always have to pass --tmp-dir /local/tmp
> because my /tmp is not big enough for this thing), but it failed for
> me:
>
>    [junit4] Tests with failures [seed: D9C1F978D5A8B019]:
>    [junit4]   - org.apache.solr.util.TestCircuitBreaker.testResponseWithCBTiming
>
> Have to say, a test with the word "Timing" in the name makes me wary.
> I don't know what the test does exactly, but if it is sensitive to
> timing, that is a recipe for unreliability. Maybe it is just including
> timing in the response?
>
> I re-ran the test with ant test -Dtestcase=TestCircuitBreaker
> -Dtests.seed=D9C1F978D5A8B019 and it passed ...
>
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 9:48 AM Robert Muir <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I nuked all my settings and am rerunning with all defaults. I'll
> > report back what happens/upload log when/if it finishes or fails.
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 9:45 AM Michael Sokolov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > I tried to comment on the JIRA, but it seems to be timing out. Now
> > > when I go back, SOLR issues are marked as "You can't view this issue
> > > It may have been deleted or you don't have permission to view it."
> > > Waat?
> > >
> > > Anyway, Robert you suggested there that maybe the problem is being
> > > surfaced by using a different working directory for the tests. Do you
> > > think that the tests need to be fixed so that they work with this
> > > tmp.workDir parameter? What if you were to cd to the place you want to
> > > use as the working dir and call the smokeTester from there?

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 RC1

Robert Muir
I ran smoketester yet one more time and again numerous tests fail:

   [junit4] Tests with failures [seed: A3FDDCE09965D7AE] (first 10 out of 18):
   [junit4]   - org.apache.solr.update.TestHdfsUpdateLog.testFSThreadSafety
   [junit4]   - org.apache.solr.update.TestHdfsUpdateLog (suite)
   [junit4]   -
org.apache.solr.cloud.hdfs.HDFSCollectionsAPITest.testDataDirIsNotReused
   [junit4]   - org.apache.solr.cloud.hdfs.HdfsRecoverLeaseTest.testBasic
   [junit4]   -
org.apache.solr.cloud.hdfs.HdfsRecoverLeaseTest.testMultiThreaded
   [junit4]   - org.apache.solr.cloud.hdfs.HdfsRecoverLeaseTest (suite)
   [junit4]   -
org.apache.solr.core.backup.repository.HdfsBackupRepositoryIntegrationTest.testCanDistinguishBetweenFilesAndDirectories
   [junit4]   -
org.apache.solr.core.backup.repository.HdfsBackupRepositoryIntegrationTest.testCanDeleteEmptyOrFullDirectories
   [junit4]   -
org.apache.solr.core.backup.repository.HdfsBackupRepositoryIntegrationTest.testCanDeleteIndividualFiles
   [junit4]   -
org.apache.solr.core.backup.repository.HdfsBackupRepositoryIntegrationTest.testArbitraryFileDataCanBeStoredAndRetrieved
   [junit4]
   [junit4]
   [junit4] JVM J0:     0.72 ..  1241.80 =  1241.08s
   [junit4] JVM J1:     0.67 ..  1198.72 =  1198.05s
   [junit4] JVM J2:     0.91 ..  1198.75 =  1197.84s
   [junit4] Execution time total: 20 minutes 41 seconds
   [junit4] Tests summary: 939 suites (5 ignored), 4884 tests, 3
suite-level errors, 15 errors, 1 failure, 2581 ignored (506
assumptions)

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 11:52 AM Robert Muir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > I nuked all my settings and am rerunning with all defaults. I'll
> > report back what happens/upload log when/if it finishes or fails.
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 9:45 AM Michael Sokolov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > I tried to comment on the JIRA, but it seems to be timing out. Now
> > > when I go back, SOLR issues are marked as "You can't view this issue
> > > It may have been deleted or you don't have permission to view it."
> > > Waat?
> > >
> > > Anyway, Robert you suggested there that maybe the problem is being
> > > surfaced by using a different working directory for the tests. Do you
> > > think that the tests need to be fixed so that they work with this
> > > tmp.workDir parameter? What if you were to cd to the place you want to
> > > use as the working dir and call the smokeTester from there?

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 RC1

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
Hi Rob, could it be possible that the tests are timing out on your machine due to lack of resources? Can you try running them with just just one JVM at a time?

On Sat, 12 Jun, 2021, 8:20 pm Robert Muir, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> > I nuked all my settings and am rerunning with all defaults. I'll
> > report back what happens/upload log when/if it finishes or fails.
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 9:45 AM Michael Sokolov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > I tried to comment on the JIRA, but it seems to be timing out. Now
> > > when I go back, SOLR issues are marked as "You can't view this issue
> > > It may have been deleted or you don't have permission to view it."
> > > Waat?
> > >
> > > Anyway, Robert you suggested there that maybe the problem is being
> > > surfaced by using a different working directory for the tests. Do you
> > > think that the tests need to be fixed so that they work with this
> > > tmp.workDir parameter? What if you were to cd to the place you want to
> > > use as the working dir and call the smokeTester from there?

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 RC1

Ishan, no, they arent running out of resources, not even close. I have
20GB of ram and by default it is only using 3 JVMs.

On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 12:04 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > '%s/test.log' % unpackPath)
>> >   File "/home/rmuir/workspace/lucene-solr/dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py",
>> > line 1212, in run_java
>> >     run('%s; %s' % (cmd_prefix, cmd), logfile)
>> >   File "/home/rmuir/workspace/lucene-solr/dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py",
>> > line 500, in run
>> >     raise RuntimeError('command "%s" failed; see log file %s' %
>> > (command, logPath))
>> > RuntimeError: command "export
>> > JAVA_HOME="/home/rmuir/Downloads/jdk8u282-b08"
>> > PATH="/home/rmuir/Downloads/jdk8u282-b08/bin:$PATH"
>> > JAVACMD="/home/rmuir/Downloads/jdk8u282-b08/bin/java"; ant clean test
>> > -Dtests.slow=false -Dtests.badapples=false " failed; see log file
>> > /tmp/smoke_lucene_8.9.0_05c8a6f0163fe4c330e93775e8e91f3ab66a3f80/unpack/solr-8.9.0/test.log

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 RC1

The tests also aren't "timing out". They are failing.

On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 12:21 PM Robert Muir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ishan, no, they arent running out of resources, not even close. I have
> 20GB of ram and by default it is only using 3 JVMs.
>
> On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 12:04 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Rob, could it be possible that the tests are timing out on your machine due to lack of resources? Can you try running them with just just one JVM at a time?
> >
> > On Sat, 12 Jun, 2021, 8:20 pm Robert Muir, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> I ran smoketester yet one more time and again numerous tests fail:
> >>
> >>    [junit4] Tests with failures [seed: A3FDDCE09965D7AE] (first 10 out of 18):
> >>    [junit4]   - org.apache.solr.update.TestHdfsUpdateLog.testFSThreadSafety
> >>    [junit4]   - org.apache.solr.update.TestHdfsUpdateLog (suite)
> >>    [junit4]   -
> >> org.apache.solr.cloud.hdfs.HDFSCollectionsAPITest.testDataDirIsNotReused
> >>    [junit4]   - org.apache.solr.cloud.hdfs.HdfsRecoverLeaseTest.testBasic
> >>    [junit4]   -
> >> org.apache.solr.cloud.hdfs.HdfsRecoverLeaseTest.testMultiThreaded
> >>    [junit4]   - org.apache.solr.cloud.hdfs.HdfsRecoverLeaseTest (suite)
> >>    [junit4]   -
> >> org.apache.solr.core.backup.repository.HdfsBackupRepositoryIntegrationTest.testCanDistinguishBetweenFilesAndDirectories
> >>    [junit4]   -
> >> org.apache.solr.core.backup.repository.HdfsBackupRepositoryIntegrationTest.testCanDeleteEmptyOrFullDirectories
> >>    [junit4]   -
> >> org.apache.solr.core.backup.repository.HdfsBackupRepositoryIntegrationTest.testCanDeleteIndividualFiles
> >>    [junit4]   -
> >> org.apache.solr.core.backup.repository.HdfsBackupRepositoryIntegrationTest.testArbitraryFileDataCanBeStoredAndRetrieved
> >>    [junit4]
> >>    [junit4]
> >>    [junit4] JVM J0:     0.72 ..  1241.80 =  1241.08s
> >>    [junit4] JVM J1:     0.67 ..  1198.72 =  1198.05s
> >>    [junit4] JVM J2:     0.91 ..  1198.75 =  1197.84s
> >>    [junit4] Execution time total: 20 minutes 41 seconds
> >>    [junit4] Tests summary: 939 suites (5 ignored), 4884 tests, 3
> >> suite-level errors, 15 errors, 1 failure, 2581 ignored (506
> >> assumptions)

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 RC1

Robert Muir
OK I managed to finally get this smoketester to pass on my machine, so
for THIS release I will retract my -1 and change it to a +1.

I have reset my system configuration back though, so we should really
fix these test problems for the future.

SUCCESS! [1:08:26.448122]

There were a few compounding issues, I will break out some issues a
bit later. I don't think they need to be blockers for THIS release,
but let's please fix them! I can help try to dig on each one, but here
are the biggest two problems:

1. some solr tests don't obey their sandbox and fail with
tests.workDir (if it is set in the user's build.properties). These
tests try to access wrong parts of the filesystem which can cause
tests to meddle with each other. obeying the test sandbox
(tests.workDir) is important, it is how I prevent these tests from
destroying my SSDs.

2. some solr HDFS tests will falsely fail if they "think" disk space
is low (even when it is not running out). They dump megabytes of
output, but this part is the key:

   [junit4]   2> 1000960 WARN  (IPC Server handler 3 on 33951) [     ]
o.a.h.h.s.b.BlockPlacementPolicy Failed to place enough replicas,
still in need of 2 to reach 2 (unavailableStorages=[],
storagePolicy=BlockStoragePolicy{HOT:7, storageTypes=[DISK],
creationFallbacks=[], replicationFallbacks=[ARCHIVE]}, newBlock=true)
For more information, please enable DEBUG log level on
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.blockmanagement.BlockPlacementPolicy and
org.apache.hadoop.net.NetworkTopology
   [junit4]   2> 1000960 WARN  (IPC Server handler 3 on 33951) [     ]
o.a.h.h.p.BlockStoragePolicy Failed to place enough replicas: expected
size is 2 but only 0 storage types can be selected (replication=2,
selected=[], unavailable=[DISK], removed=[DISK, DISK],
policy=BlockStoragePolicy{HOT:7, storageTypes=[DISK],
creationFallbacks=[], replicationFallbacks=[ARCHIVE]})
   [junit4]   2> 1000960 WARN  (IPC Server handler 3 on 33951) [     ]
o.a.h.h.s.b.BlockPlacementPolicy Failed to place enough replicas,
still in need of 2 to reach 2 (unavailableStorages=[DISK],
storagePolicy=BlockStoragePolicy{HOT:7, storageTypes=[DISK],
creationFallbacks=[], replicationFallbacks=[ARCHIVE]}, newBlock=true)
All required storage types are unavailable:
unavailableStorages=[DISK], storagePolicy=BlockStoragePolicy{HOT:7,
storageTypes=[DISK], creationFallbacks=[],
replicationFallbacks=[ARCHIVE]}
   [junit4]   2> 1000961 WARN  (Thread-2642) [     ]
o.a.h.h.DataStreamer DataStreamer Exception
   [junit4]   2>           =>
org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException(java.io.IOException): File
/testfile could only be written to 0 of the 1 minReplication nodes.
There are 2 datanode(s) running and 2 node(s) are excluded in this
operation.

So I think these tests should be tweaked to not require gigabytes of
free space to pass. (fix the threshold or whatever, or add an assume
or something). I worked around the situation by temporarily
repartitioning and giving them another gigabyte (!). In no event was
there ever any danger of running out of space! They just falsely fail
even when there are hundreds of MB available. Seems they have some
kind of bogus threshold in the algorithm (e.g. inspecting percentages
or something).

On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 12:22 PM Robert Muir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The tests also aren't "timing out". They are failing.
>
> On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 12:21 PM Robert Muir <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Ishan, no, they arent running out of resources, not even close. I have
> > 20GB of ram and by default it is only using 3 JVMs.
> >
> > On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 12:04 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Rob, could it be possible that the tests are timing out on your machine due to lack of resources? Can you try running them with just just one JVM at a time?

12