Welcome Alessandro Benedetti as a Lucene/Solr committer

12

Welcome Alessandro Benedetti as a Lucene/Solr committer

david.w.smiley@gmail.com
Hi all,

Please join me in welcoming Alessandro Benedetti as the latest Lucene/Solr committer!

Alessandro has been contributing to Lucene and Solr in areas such as More Like This, Synonym boosting, and Suggesters, and other areas for years.  Furthermore he's been a help to many users on the solr-user mailing list and has helped others through his blog posts and presentations about search.  We look forward to his future contributions.

Congratulations and welcome!  It is a tradition to introduce yourself with a brief bio, Alessandro.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer

~ David Smiley

~ David Smiley

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer

Re: Welcome Alessandro Benedetti as a Lucene/Solr committer

Tommaso Teofili
welcome on board Alessandro, well deserved!
I still remember when we were sitting together in the same room having fun with Lucene/Solr a few years ago, keep up the good job !

Regards,
Tommaso

~ David Smiley

~ David Smiley

~ David Smiley

~ David Smiley

~ David Smiley

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer

Re: Welcome Alessandro Benedetti as a Lucene/Solr committer

Alessandro Benedetti
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!
I already know most of you but for all the others here's my brief bio :)

I am Italian (possibly the only other italian in addition to Tommaso) and I have been living in the UK for the last 7 years.
I am currently based in London.
I started working with Apache Solr back in 2010 (and a few months later with Apache Lucene), my first project was a search API that translated the Verity query language to Lucene syntax, at the time I was a junior software engineer with a background in Information Retrieval research at Roma3 university.
Since then I have explored a lot of different use cases for Apache Lucene/Solr and I spent more and more time studying and working with the internals, across various companies and positions.
My favourite projects in my career have been the design and implementation of a Semantic Search engine called Sensify (when I was working in a small and cohesive R&D team in Zaizi, with spanish friends and colleagues from Seville), the Apache Solr Learning To Rank plugin from Bloomberg (and integrations/applications) and the Rated Ranking Evaluator project (an Open Source library for Search Quality Evaluation we contributed back to the community).
In 2016 I founded my own company, Sease where we try to build a bridge between Academia and the industry through Open Source software in the domain of Information Retrieval.

As David mentioned my main areas of contribution in Apache Lucene/Solr have been the More Like This, the Learning To Rank plugin, Synonyms expansion and the Suggester component.
I have a lot of ideas in my to do list, so stay tuned, we'll have a lot to discuss and innovate !

It is a pleasure to join this group and I am sure we'll do great things together :)

Cheers

--------------------------
Alessandro Benedetti

On Wed, 18 Mar 2020 at 13:00, David Smiley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

Please join me in welcoming Alessandro Benedetti as the latest Lucene/Solr committer!

Alessandro has been contributing to Lucene and Solr in areas such as More Like This, Synonym boosting, and Suggesters, and other areas for years.  Furthermore he's been a help to many users on the solr-user mailing list and has helped others through his blog posts and presentations about search.  We look forward to his future contributions.

Congratulations and welcome!  It is a tradition to introduce yourself with a brief bio, Alessandro.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
---------------
Alessandro Benedetti
Sease Ltd. - www.sease.io

Re: Welcome Alessandro Benedetti as a Lucene/Solr committer

Jason Gerlowski
Congrats and welcome Alessandro.  Well deserved.

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 2:34 PM Tomás Fernández Löbbe
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Congrats and welcome Alessandro!
>
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 9:34 AM Erick Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Welcome Alessandro!
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 18, 2020, 10:32 Houston Putman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Congrats Alessandro!

Re: Welcome Alessandro Benedetti as a Lucene/Solr committer

Diego Ceccarelli (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON)
Congratulazioni :) Let's go for pasta when restaurants reopen! ;)

From: [hidden email] At: 03/18/20 19:25:54
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Welcome Alessandro Benedetti as a Lucene/Solr committer

~ David Smiley