Why Did It Match?

Webster Homer
My company is working on a new website. The old/current site is powered by Endeca. The site under development is powered by Solr (currently 7.7.2)

Out of the box, Endeca provides the capability to show how a query was matched in the search. The business users like this functionality, in solr this functionality is an expensive debug option. Is there another way to get this information from a query?

Webster Homer

This message and any attachment are confidential and may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy this message or attachment or disclose the contents to any other person. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the message and any attachment from your system. Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany and any of its subsidiaries do not accept liability for any omissions or errors in this message which may arise as a result of E-Mail-transmission or for damages resulting from any unauthorized changes of the content of this message and any attachment thereto. Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany and any of its subsidiaries do not guarantee that this message is free of viruses and does not accept liability for any damages caused by any virus transmitted therewith.

Click http://www.merckgroup.com/disclaimer to access the German, French, Spanish and Portuguese versions of this disclaimer.

Re: Why Did It Match?

Doug Turnbull
Is your concern that the Solr explain functionality is slower than Endecas?
Or harder to understand/interpret?

If the latter, I might recommend http://splainer.io as one solution

--
*Doug Turnbull **| CTO* | OpenSource Connections
<http://opensourceconnections.com>, LLC | 240.476.9983
Author: Relevant Search <http://manning.com/turnbull>; Contributor: *AI
Powered Search <http://aipoweredsearch.com>*
This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be
Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless
of whether attachments are marked as such.

RE: Why Did It Match?

Webster Homer
My concern was that I thought that explain is resource heavy, and was only used for debugging queries.

Author: Relevant Search <http://manning.com/turnbull>; Contributor: *AI Powered Search <http://aipoweredsearch.com>* This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless of whether attachments are marked as such.

[...]

Erick Erickson
Yes, debug=explain is expensive. Expensive in the sense that I’d never add it to every query. But if your business users are trying to understand why query X came back the way it did by examining individual queries, then I wouldn’t worry.

You can easily see how expensive it is in your situation by looking at the timings returned. Debug is just a component just like facet etc and the time it takes is listed separately in the timings section of debug output…

Best,
Erick

> On May 28, 2020, at 4:52 PM, Webster Homer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> My concern was that I thought that explain is resource heavy, and was only used for debugging queries.

Oh, and something you/they might also find useful to answer the inverse question “why didn’t it match” is “explainOther”. It’ll tell you how a particular document was scored whether or not that particular document was in the result set. IOW it can tell you why a doc scored zero.

Best,
Erick

> On May 28, 2020, at 4:52 PM, Webster Homer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> My concern was that I thought that explain is resource heavy, and was only used for debugging queries.

Thank you.

The problem is that Endeca just provided this information. The website users see how each search result matched the query.
For example this is displayed for a hit:
1 Product Result

|  Match Criteria: Material, Product Number

The business users will wonder why we cannot provide this information with the new system.

Yes, debug=explain is expensive. Expensive in the sense that I’d never add it to every query. But if your business users are trying to understand why query X came back the way it did by examining individual queries, then I wouldn’t worry.

You can easily see how expensive it is in your situation by looking at the timings returned. Debug is just a component just like facet etc and the time it takes is listed separately in the timings section of debug output…

Best,
Erick

> On May 28, 2020, at 4:52 PM, Webster Homer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> My concern was that I thought that explain is resource heavy, and was only used for debugging queries.

Walter Underwood
Are you sure they will wonder? I’d try it without that and see if the simpler UI is easier to use. Simple almost always wins the A/B test.

You can use the highlighter to see if a field matched a term. Only use explain if you need all the scores.

wunder
Walter Underwood

> On May 28, 2020, at 3:37 PM, Webster Homer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you.
>
> The problem is that Endeca just provided this information. The website users see how each search result matched the query.
> For example this is displayed for a hit:
> 1 Product Result
>
> |  Match Criteria: Material, Product Number
>
> The business users will wonder why we cannot provide this information with the new system.

david.w.smiley@gmail.com
I've used the highlighter in the past for this but it has to do a lot more
work than "explain".  Typically that extra work is analysis of the fields'
text again.  Still; the highlighter can make sense when the individual
fields aren't otherwise searchable because you are searching on an
aggregate catch-all field.

~ David