Why is Mean-Shift Clustering Deprecated?

Why is Mean-Shift Clustering Deprecated?

robpd
Hi

Using mahout-0.8 right now and noticed that mean-shift clustering is deprecated.  Only thing I could find on it is at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT-1250.  This seems to say that it is not being used much - right? Any other reasons it's deprecated (e.g. reliability)?

Main question is what could replace this useful technique in which one does not have to know a priori the number of clusters to form?  I guess, after mean-shift clustering is finally removed from the codebase it will be possible to achieve the same effect using, first, canopy-clustering to discover the number of clusters then a KMeans thereafter. Correct?

thks.

Rob