Wiki loading time

12

Wiki loading time

Grant Ingersoll-2
Is it just me, or does the wiki front page (http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FrontPage
) take a really long time to load?  We're using Confluence over on
Mahout (http://cwiki.apache.org/MAHOUT/) and it is way faster to load
(but is somewhat less complex as far as overall content).  Didn't we
look into converting to Confluence at one point in time?

Also note, the Lucene wiki (MoinMoin, as well) is a lot faster to load
(but still seemingly slow compared w/ Confluence).

-Grant

Re: Wiki loading time

Thomas Peuss
Hi Grant!

Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> Is it just me, or does the wiki front page
> (http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FrontPage) take a really long time to
> load?  We're using Confluence over on Mahout

I have noticed the same. Sometimes it is unusably slow for me.

I don't know how MoinMoin renders the page. The front page is the page
with the most edits in the wiki I think. Maybe that influences render time.

Currently my response time for the main page is 12.3s. All other page
content (CSS, images, ...) loads in milliseconds...

CU
Thomas

Re: Wiki loading time

Grant Ingersoll-2
I wonder if it is the table of contents generation. I'm going to try
taking it out and see if that matters.

-Grant

On May 26, 2008, at 10:28 AM, Thomas Peuss wrote:

> Hi Grant!
>
> Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>> Is it just me, or does the wiki front page (http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FrontPage
>> ) take a really long time to load?  We're using Confluence over on
>> Mahout
>
> I have noticed the same. Sometimes it is unusably slow for me.
>
> I don't know how MoinMoin renders the page. The front page is the
> page with the most edits in the wiki I think. Maybe that influences
> render time.
>
> Currently my response time for the main page is 12.3s. All other
> page content (CSS, images, ...) loads in milliseconds...
>
> CU
> Thomas

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com

Lucene Helpful Hints:

Re: Wiki loading time

Koji Sekiguchi
It is slow for me, too.

Koji

Re: Wiki loading time

Otis Gospodnetic-2
I've been meaning to mention the same.  I think it's not only the front page that's slow.  I've edited a few pages recently and they were all slow to load/save.  Do you know if Confluence and MoinMoin wikies are hosted on the same server?

Otis

> Is it just me, or does the wiki front page
> (http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FrontPage
> ) take a really long time to load?  We're using Confluence over on
> Mahout (http://cwiki.apache.org/MAHOUT/) and it is way faster to load
> (but is somewhat less complex as far as overall content).  Didn't we
> look into converting to Confluence at one point in time?
>
> Also note, the Lucene wiki (MoinMoin, as well) is a lot faster to load
> (but still seemingly slow compared w/ Confluence).
>

> -Grant

Re: Wiki loading time

hossman

: Is it just me, or does the wiki front page
: (http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FrontPage) take a really long time to load?

I suspect that has to do with the two dynamicly loaded lists: all request
handlers, all response writers.

it makes the wiki easier to manage, but it's probably slower (i'm guessing
MoinMoin doesn't cache those "FullSearch" calls.

we could cahnge them back to being static lists, or we could just remove
the lists all together and let people click on "Request Handlers" and
"Response Writers" where the dynamic lists also appear.

...the FrontPage is getting kind of long anyway.

Re: Wiki loading time

hossman

: content).  Didn't we look into converting to Confluence at one point in time?

Ryan was looking into it, and had an example up ... but i think there may
have been a momentum issue (it was right before xmas as i recall).

Ryan?

Re: Wiki loading time

hossman

: page that's slow.  I've edited a few pages recently and they were all
: slow to load/save.  Do you know if Confluence and MoinMoin wikies are
: hosted on the same server?

FWIW: from what i can tell, saving of MoinMoin pages seems to be very,
VERY slow because of sending the email notifications.  if you try loading
the page in a new window/tab you'll notice that your changes have been
saved almost immediately, but your browser will sit and spin for minutes
if you let it ... i'm 90% sure it's becuse of the email notifications,
because it definitely takes longer on pages where it tells you several
people have been notified.

Re: Wiki loading time

Grant Ingersoll-2

On May 26, 2008, at 12:33 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> : page that's slow.  I've edited a few pages recently and they were
> all
> : slow to load/save.  Do you know if Confluence and MoinMoin wikies
> are
> : hosted on the same server?

I think Confluence has some sort of mirroring setup, whereby changes
are propogated out in a static way.

> FWIW: from what i can tell, saving of MoinMoin pages seems to be very,
> VERY slow because of sending the email notifications.  if you try
> the page in a new window/tab you'll notice that your changes have been
> saved almost immediately, but your browser will sit and spin for
> minutes
> if you let it ... i'm 90% sure it's becuse of the email notifications,
> because it definitely takes longer on pages where it tells you several
> people have been notified.

Yeah, I have noticed this too.  But geez, there aren't that many
notifications, so MM must really suck if that is the cause.

At any rate, I am +1 on Confluence.

Re: Wiki loading time

Ryan McKinley

On May 26, 2008, at 12:30 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> : content).  Didn't we look into converting to Confluence at one
> point in time?
>
> Ryan was looking into it, and had an example up ... but i think
> there may
> have been a momentum issue (it was right before xmas as i recall).
>
> Ryan?

I looked at it, and like it.  The one thing I needed was a someone
with some credentials to try changing the template...   (it was just
before new years)

but then i got distracted and busy...

We were considering using it for our main site -- that way each
release could have documentation bundled with it.  Perhaps the custom
stylesheet on javadoc is a better solution to this problem though.

For caching, confluence takes a static snapshot of everything.  For
example:
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLRxSITE/SearchHandler
http://cwiki.apache.org/SOLRxSITE/searchhandler.html

I'd like to continue looking at this, perhaps it will gain momentum
(post 1.3 however)

ryan

Re: Wiki loading time

Shalin Shekhar Mangar
So would you suggest creating all new documentation on Confluence or
there are tools to migrate stuff existing on MoinMoin?

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 9:16 AM, Ryan McKinley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On May 26, 2008, at 12:30 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:
>>
>> : content).  Didn't we look into converting to Confluence at one point in
>> time?
>>
>> Ryan was looking into it, and had an example up ... but i think there may
>> have been a momentum issue (it was right before xmas as i recall).
>>
>> Ryan?
>>

> I looked at it, and like it.  The one thing I needed was a someone with some
> credentials to try changing the template...   (it was just before new years)
>
> but then i got distracted and busy...
>
> We were considering using it for our main site -- that way each release
> could have documentation bundled with it.  Perhaps the custom stylesheet on
> javadoc is a better solution to this problem though.
>
> For caching, confluence takes a static snapshot of everything.  For example:
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLRxSITE/SearchHandler
> http://cwiki.apache.org/SOLRxSITE/searchhandler.html
>
> I'd like to continue looking at this, perhaps it will gain momentum (post
> 1.3 however)
>
> ryan

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Migrate to Confluence? (was "Wiki loading time")

Thomas Peuss
Hi!

There is an import filter for MoinMoin wiki data for Confluence
(http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFEXT/Universal+Wiki+Converter).
So it might be very simple to move to Confluence.

CU
Thomas

Re: Wiki loading time

hossman

: I looked at it, and like it.  The one thing I needed was a someone with some
: credentials to try changing the template...   (it was just before new years)
:
: but then i got distracted and busy...

Doh! ...  i see now your last update saying you needed help from someone
in the "confluence-admin" group.  I'm guessing with the holidays i missed
that.

The only reason i was put in the confluence-admin group was because i was
the PMC member who requested the wiki be created.  Now that Ryan is in the
PMC (and the most likely to work on this at some point in the future) I've
added him as well.

For any one who'se curious, these are the previous discussions...

http://www.nabble.com/Confluence-wiki-vs-MoinMoin-to14207960.html
http://www.nabble.com/Solr-CWIKI-ready-for-experimenting-to14476646.html

Re: Wiki loading time

hossman

: So would you suggest creating all new documentation on Confluence or
: there are tools to migrate stuff existing on MoinMoin?

there wasn't any plan to migrate anything from MoinMoin ... the initial
plan was to use COnfluence to replace the *site* (instead of forrest) then
primary motivation being that then it would be easier to add new content
to the main site, which could be included in releases, both for
committers, as well as for community members who sign CLAs (for legal
reasons, content from people who havne't signed CLAs can't be included
in a release, which is why we can't included snapshots of the current wiki
in releases, MoinMoin doesn't have access controls to let us distinguish
"cla-users" from users who self create accounts.

Re: Wiki loading time

Grant Ingersoll-2
+1  Thanks Hoss!

On Jun 1, 2008, at 3:09 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> FWIW: I removed the dynamic macros from the front page, and it's now
> *noticibly* faster.
>
> : : Is it just me, or does the wiki front page
> : : (http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FrontPage) take a really long time
> to load?
> :
> : I suspect that has to do with the two dynamicly loaded lists: all
> request
> : handlers, all response writers.
> :
> : it makes the wiki easier to manage, but it's probably slower (i'm
> guessing
> : MoinMoin doesn't cache those "FullSearch" calls.
>

> -Hoss

Re: Wiki loading time

Grant Ingersoll-2
Hmmm, I have been editing the SpellCheckComponent this morning and it
is taking an absurdly long time to save.  I open a different tab, and
the results are there almost instantaneously.  I, do notice, that the
notices are not being sent.  I don't think the page has anything fancy
on it terms of wiki syntax.

I'm going to open an INFRA bug to see if there is any insight to be
had here.  I'm not a wiki admin, but maybe there is a way to check how
many notifications are set for that page? (http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SpellCheckComponent
)

-Grant

On Jun 1, 2008, at 4:21 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> +1  Thanks Hoss!
>
> On Jun 1, 2008, at 3:09 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:
>

>> FWIW: I removed the dynamic macros from the front page, and it's now
>> *noticibly* faster.
>>
>> : : Is it just me, or does the wiki front page
>> : : (http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FrontPage) take a really long time
>> to load?
>> :
>> : I suspect that has to do with the two dynamicly loaded lists: all
>> request
>> : handlers, all response writers.
>> :
>> : it makes the wiki easier to manage, but it's probably slower (i'm
>> guessing
>> : MoinMoin doesn't cache those "FullSearch" calls.
>>

>> -Hoss

Re: Wiki loading time

Shalin Shekhar Mangar
I noticed that too while editing that page a while ago. Maybe the email
request from the wiki is timing out?

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:20 PM, Grant Ingersoll <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hmmm, I have been editing the SpellCheckComponent this morning and it is
> taking an absurdly long time to save.  I open a different tab, and the
> results are there almost instantaneously.  I, do notice, that the notices
> are not being sent.  I don't think the page has anything fancy on it terms
> of wiki syntax.
>
> I'm going to open an INFRA bug to see if there is any insight to be had
> here.  I'm not a wiki admin, but maybe there is a way to check how many
> notifications are set for that page? (
> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SpellCheckComponent)
>
> -Grant
>

> On Jun 1, 2008, at 4:21 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>
>  +1  Thanks Hoss!
>>
>> On Jun 1, 2008, at 3:09 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:
>>

>>> FWIW: I removed the dynamic macros from the front page, and it's now
>>> *noticibly* faster.
>>>
>>> : : Is it just me, or does the wiki front page
>>> : : (http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FrontPage) take a really long time to
>>> load?
>>> :
>>> : I suspect that has to do with the two dynamicly loaded lists: all
>>> request
>>> : handlers, all response writers.
>>> :
>>> : it makes the wiki easier to manage, but it's probably slower (i'm
>>> guessing
>>> : MoinMoin doesn't cache those "FullSearch" calls.
>>>

>>> -Hoss

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Wiki loading time

hossman

: I'm going to open an INFRA bug to see if there is any insight to be had here.
: I'm not a wiki admin, but maybe there is a way to check how many notifications
: are set for that page? (http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SpellCheckComponent)

according to the info page, none...

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SpellCheckComponent?action=info&general=1

...but obviously there is the generic solr-commits notification (which
being site wide seems to be configured at a lower level)

Re: Wiki loading time

Shalin Shekhar Mangar
And no emails for the wiki edit notifications have made it to solr-commits
list.

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:25 PM, Chris Hostetter <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> : I'm going to open an INFRA bug to see if there is any insight to be had
> here.
> : I'm not a wiki admin, but maybe there is a way to check how many
> notifications
> : are set for that page? (http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SpellCheckComponent)
>
> according to the info page, none...
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SpellCheckComponent?action=info&general=1
>
> ...but obviously there is the generic solr-commits notification (which
> being site wide seems to be configured at a lower level)
>

> -Hoss

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.
12