Wikia Search Engine? Anyone working on it?

Wikia Search Engine? Anyone working on it?

Dennis Kubes
Just a curiosity.  I saw the new article about the Wikia search engine
in Fast Company magazine.  Is anybody here working with that project or
planning on working with it?

Personally I am working on a separate search project but I keep seeing
that they are going to use Nutch and Lucene.  I haven't really seen
anybody that has been active on the lists say they are going to be
involved in the project though?  What is everyone's interest level on this?

Dennis Kubes

Re: Wikia Search Engine? Anyone working on it?

Sean Dean-3
Ive been following it, but haven't posted anything over there. Honestly, if you read a lot of the "public" content in the forum and mailing list it provides you with absolutely nothing in terms of what they will be doing.

Jimmy Wales is still running 100% of the show, and every now and then you see some article with him boosting his "idea". I haven't seen any power or "commands" given to the general (unorganized) community.

They might turn out to surprise me, but so far its been ALL public relations. I manage a search engine based on Nutch and Lucene and its still bigger then there's, too bad I cant wheel and deal the same PR monkey's.

My search engine is more proof of concept (and a hobby) then anything else, but maybe one day it will generate more then the $20 per month in Google Ad revenue it does now. A free tip for budding search engine creators; go vertical or go home.*

* home = http://www.google.com/

Dennis Kubes

Re: Wikia Search Engine? Anyone working on it?

rubdabadub
On 3/25/07, Sean Dean <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My search engine is more proof of concept (and a hobby) then anything else, but maybe one day it will generate more then the $20 per month in Google Ad revenue it does now.

Whats the URL? I like to check it out.. I will click some of those ads
i promise :)

Regards

Re: Wikia Search Engine? Anyone working on it?

Enis Soztutar
Sean Dean wrote:

> Ive been following it, but haven't posted anything over there. Honestly, if you read a lot of the "public" content in the forum and mailing list it provides you with absolutely nothing in terms of what they will be doing.
>
> Jimmy Wales is still running 100% of the show, and every now and then you see some article with him boosting his "idea". I haven't seen any power or "commands" given to the general (unorganized) community.
>
> They might turn out to surprise me, but so far its been ALL public relations. I manage a search engine based on Nutch and Lucene and its still bigger then there's, too bad I cant wheel and deal the same PR monkey's.
>

> My search engine is more proof of concept (and a hobby) then anything else, but maybe one day it will generate more then the $20 per month in Google Ad revenue it does now. A free tip for budding search engine creators; go vertical or go home.*
>
> * home = http://www.google.com/

I also follow the list with no posts. As far as i can tell, the search-i
mailing list is not *that* active for such a community. The list seems
to used for idea and link exchange. Since nutch is a possible solution
for wikia search maybe we should be more  active in the project. Also I
believe there are some people in the nutch community who has precious
hands-on xp with an online search engine. And i encourage them to take
part in wikia search.

Re: Wikia Search Engine? Anyone working on it?

waterwheel
Personally I suspect a sheep in wolves clothing.  I see this as another
move intended to monetize.  Nothing wrong with that, unless everyone
believes what they're doing isn't for that purpose.