Wildcard not working as expected?

Bugzilla from nigel@catalyst.net.nz
Hi,

I'm having trouble using a * wildcard after a term in a search. It does not
seem to match "0 or more", but rather "something more, as long as it's not
nothing". This is using the standard query handler, by the way.

Examples:

Search for theatr* => returns 112 results, for things named 'theatre'
Search for theatre* => returns 0 results

Anyone know why this would be?

Nigel McNie
Catalyst IT Ltd.
DDI: +64 4 803 2203

Re: Wildcard not working as expected?

Yonik Seeley-2
On 6/6/07, Nigel McNie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm having trouble using a * wildcard after a term in a search. It does not
> seem to match "0 or more", but rather "something more, as long as it's not
> nothing". This is using the standard query handler, by the way.
>
> Examples:
>
> Search for theatr* => returns 112 results, for things named 'theatre'
> Search for theatre* => returns 0 results
>
> Anyone know why this would be?

My guess would be stemming.
The indexed form of theatre is probably theatr after it goes through
the porter stemmer.

Perhaps ou could index another variant of the field (via copyField)
that just splits on whitespace and lowercases.

-Yonik