With all the discussion about major how broken Solr is ...

With all the discussion about major how broken Solr is ...

Mark Miller-3
Let me put a tiny bit of these geenie back in the bottle.

Solr and SolrCloud are being run by a billion places small and utterly huge and providing a ridiculous amount of value to the word.

In that light, they are completely broken.

It's the same software that everywhere has been using for years with likely a rotating cast of problems.

This is not a sudden or new event.

I wanted to pull a firealarm, so that was not part of my initial rants.

I have a high bar for software.

I have a higher bar for distributed software. As should we all.

Our software is successful in it's current state. My warning is not, oh my god stop using this.

My warning is that is completely unsustainable, and our software is probably creating more frowns than smiles.

It's slow, the design is not cohesively implemented or even really followed anymore, and our dev practices don't help anything.

No one needs to change what they are doing this second. I do think if you want to keep doing it, change is recommended soon.

Re: With all the discussion about major how broken Solr is ...

Mark Miller-3
I will even take most of the responsibility for that. Point people at me.

But I cannot take the responsibility to fix things myself.

On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 4:25 PM Mark Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jeff
New to the dev list here, but not new to using Solr on projects. I
agree and am glad to hear that there is some awareness within the Solr
community that there might be something up. It has become really
difficult to track what is "stable" across versions and it seems that
sometimes features are prioritized above bug fixes and general
architectural stability. Solr is an amazing project and I hope that it
will continue to be so. Keep up the good work! I really hope this
warning by Mark is heeded in the near future.