XML config

Yonik Seeley-2
[subject changed to avoid the auto-add to JIRA feature]

On 11/28/06, Walter Underwood (JIRA) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Requiring users to edit an XML file is a separate issue, but I think it is a serious
> problem,

While many Solr users may not know Java or Lucene, they most likely
will have a familiarity with XML (or at least enough HTML that the XML
doesn't look foreign).
A tool to edit schemas, provide lists of available filters, hints,
etc, would be nice though... is that what you had in mind?

> especially because any error messages show up in the server logs.

I agree that's not ideal, esp to those new to servlet containers.
I'm not sure what we can do to improve the situation though... w/o
having that external schema editing tool.

This is a volunteer effort of course, and it's often the case the
"glossy" things in commercial products aren't enough of an itch for
developers to scratch.

Re: XML config

Bertrand Delacretaz
> [subject changed to avoid the auto-add to JIRA feature]
>
> On 11/28/06, Walter Underwood (JIRA) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Requiring users to edit an XML file is a separate issue, but I think it is a serious
> > problem,
>
> While many Solr users may not know Java or Lucene, they most likely
> will have a familiarity with XML (or at least enough HTML that the XML
> doesn't look foreign)....

How would one feed documents into Solr without knowing XML?

I think this is a non-issue, people have to generate XML documents to
index them with Solr anyway, so editing an XML configuration file is
not that bad.

> > ...especially because any error messages show up in the server logs...

I agree that this is more serious, making critical exceptions or logs
accessible from the HTTP interface could be good...but it can also be
a security risk in some cases, you don't necessarily want to expose
all error messages to the world.

IMHO: for any serious use of Solr, people need some server management
skills. It might be better for people who don't have these to fail
early, rather than wrongly think that they can use Solr in point and
click mode.

-Bertrand

Re: XML config

Yonik Seeley-2
On 11/29/06, Bertrand Delacretaz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I agree that this is more serious, making critical exceptions or logs
> accessible from the HTTP interface could be good...but it can also be
> a security risk in some cases, you don't necessarily want to expose
> all error messages to the world.

A big part of the problem is that configuration errors  often keep the
SolrCore from loading, and the admin pages don't work without that.
That may be an area for improvement.

Re: XML config

Chris Hostetter-3

Just spit balling here, but we could add a ServletFilter that registers
it's own LogHandler to record the last N messages above a certain
severity, then configure that filter to intercept any requests for hte
admin pages and if the SolrCore can't be accessed return a page listing
those errors.

alternately -- register a custom error JSP which says "you encountered
exception X, here are the last N exceptions that were logged which may
have contributed to this..."

: Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 09:54:37 -0500
: From: Yonik Seeley <[hidden email]>
: To: [hidden email]
: Subject: Re: XML config
:
: On 11/29/06, Bertrand Delacretaz <[hidden email]> wrote:
: > I agree that this is more serious, making critical exceptions or logs
: > accessible from the HTTP interface could be good...but it can also be
: > a security risk in some cases, you don't necessarily want to expose
: > all error messages to the world.
:
: A big part of the problem is that configuration errors  often keep the
: SolrCore from loading, and the admin pages don't work without that.
: That may be an area for improvement.
:
: -Yonik
: