Zk upconfig command is appending local directory to default confdir

Zk upconfig command is appending local directory to default confdir

Michael Becker
I’ve run into an issue when attempting to configure Zookeeper. When running the zk upconfig -d command specifying a local directory where the solrconfig.xml files are located, I get the following error:
“Could not complete upconfig operation for reason: Could not find solrconfig.xml at /opt/solr-6.5.1/server/solr/configsets/solrconfig.xml, /opt/solr-6.5.1/server/solr/configsets/conf/solrconfig.xml or /opt/solr-6.5.1/server/solr/configsets/ <path to local directory> /solrconfig.xml”

I’m trying to determine why the solr zk upconfig command is appending my local directory to the default confdir, rather than looking for the XML files in that directory,
I have two other environments with Solr where this does not occur. It’s just this one environment that is having this issue.
I am using Solr version 6.5.1.
Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this would be appreciated.

Mike

Re: Zk upconfig command is appending local directory to default confdir

Dominique Bejean
Hi Michael,

It seems Sorl really don't find any solrconfig.xml file or a
conf/solrconfig.xml file in the local path you specified. The last try is
to look in "/opt/solr-6.5.1/server/solr/configsets/<path to local
directory>", but obviously it doesn't work has you didn't specify a
confiset name.

The code is here -
https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/8cde1277ec7151bd6ab62950ac93cbdd6ff04d9f/solr/solrj/src/java/org/apache/solr/common/cloud/ZkConfigManager.java#L181

Any error in read access rights to your config directory ?

Regards

Dominique

Le lun. 18 nov. 2019 à 15:48, Michael Becker <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> I’ve run into an issue when attempting to configure Zookeeper. When
> running the zk upconfig -d command specifying a local directory where the
> solrconfig.xml files are located, I get the following error:
> “Could not complete upconfig operation for reason: Could not find
> solrconfig.xml at /opt/solr-6.5.1/server/solr/configsets/solrconfig.xml,
> /opt/solr-6.5.1/server/solr/configsets/conf/solrconfig.xml or
> /opt/solr-6.5.1/server/solr/configsets/ <path to local directory>
> /solrconfig.xml”
>
> I’m trying to determine why the solr zk upconfig command is appending my
> local directory to the default confdir, rather than looking for the XML
> files in that directory,
> I have two other environments with Solr where this does not occur. It’s
> just this one environment that is having this issue.
> I am using Solr version 6.5.1.
> Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this would be appreciated.
>
> Mike

Re: Zk upconfig command is appending local directory to default confdir

Jörn Franke
I would use the config set API - it is more clean for production deployments and you do not have to deal with the zkCli script:

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_4/configsets-api.html

> Am 18.11.2019 um 15:48 schrieb Michael Becker <[hidden email]>:
>
> I’ve run into an issue when attempting to configure Zookeeper. When running the zk upconfig -d command specifying a local directory where the solrconfig.xml files are located, I get the following error:
> “Could not complete upconfig operation for reason: Could not find solrconfig.xml at /opt/solr-6.5.1/server/solr/configsets/solrconfig.xml, /opt/solr-6.5.1/server/solr/configsets/conf/solrconfig.xml or /opt/solr-6.5.1/server/solr/configsets/ <path to local directory> /solrconfig.xml”
>
> I’m trying to determine why the solr zk upconfig command is appending my local directory to the default confdir, rather than looking for the XML files in that directory,
> I have two other environments with Solr where this does not occur. It’s just this one environment that is having this issue.
> I am using Solr version 6.5.1.
> Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this would be appreciated.
>
> Mike

RE: Zk upconfig command is appending local directory to default confdir

Michael Becker
Domimique:

That's what is odd. There IS a file named solrconfig.xml within that directory.
The naming convention for the directory is the same in all three environments where we have Solr running. The command works fine in the other two environments. But for some reason, in this environment, Solr is reading the directory path as a subdirectory of /opt/solr-6.5.1/server/solr/configsets/, rather than as an absolute path.
So, if the full path specified in -d is /zkCongifgset/sitecore_index/solrconfig.xml, with /zkConfigset being the root directory. rather than going to that directory, Solr is looking for it in /opt/solr-6.5.1/server/solr/configsets/zkCongifgset/sitecore_index/. I'm not clear on why Solr is doing that.

Mike

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_apache_lucene-2Dsolr_blob_8cde1277ec7151bd6ab62950ac93cbdd6ff04d9f_solr_solrj_src_java_org_apache_solr_common_cloud_ZkConfigManager.java-23L181&d=DwIFaQ&c=mV61MqUbMWY-LlirxZJvJg&r=8W5Kk7fJg_C2taHlYyXZLinEFeEtcUcFddYrS5aUhiE&m=XQfOcrEywCrmCsBoBMPAznCdw_ZV28m7HTnR5rf1q50&s=bik3n9dWgRpi2fcr0t60J2NV7UzzXdg5T4VpPDt_-yE&e=

Any error in read access rights to your config directory ?

Regards

Dominique

Le lun. 18 nov. 2019 à 15:48, Michael Becker <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> I’ve run into an issue when attempting to configure Zookeeper. When
> running the zk upconfig -d command specifying a local directory where
> the solrconfig.xml files are located, I get the following error:
> “Could not complete upconfig operation for reason: Could not find
> solrconfig.xml at
> /opt/solr-6.5.1/server/solr/configsets/solrconfig.xml,
> /opt/solr-6.5.1/server/solr/configsets/conf/solrconfig.xml or
> /opt/solr-6.5.1/server/solr/configsets/ <path to local directory>
> /solrconfig.xml”
>
> I’m trying to determine why the solr zk upconfig command is appending
> my local directory to the default confdir, rather than looking for the
> XML files in that directory, I have two other environments with Solr
> where this does not occur. It’s just this one environment that is
> having this issue.
> I am using Solr version 6.5.1.
> Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this would be appreciated.
>
> Mike

RE: Zk upconfig command is appending local directory to default confdir

Michael Becker
Jörn,

We're using Solr to index a website. Basically, we set up Solr and Zookeeper once and let it run. The API is a bit too much overhead for something we just set once.

Mike

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lucene.apache.org_solr_guide_7-5F4_configsets-2Dapi.html&d=DwIFaQ&c=mV61MqUbMWY-LlirxZJvJg&r=8W5Kk7fJg_C2taHlYyXZLinEFeEtcUcFddYrS5aUhiE&m=czV2n50m-v9_w3N63i-jYUsBfnCtCKeE3wNXq3KVerU&s=8GQix9ABHkY0tm7kPKL_GEXCi-G4PKRjJjN-FqQcRVI&e=

> Am 18.11.2019 um 15:48 schrieb Michael Becker <[hidden email]>:
>
> I’ve run into an issue when attempting to configure Zookeeper. When running the zk upconfig -d command specifying a local directory where the solrconfig.xml files are located, I get the following error:
> “Could not complete upconfig operation for reason: Could not find solrconfig.xml at /opt/solr-6.5.1/server/solr/configsets/solrconfig.xml, /opt/solr-6.5.1/server/solr/configsets/conf/solrconfig.xml or /opt/solr-6.5.1/server/solr/configsets/ <path to local directory> /solrconfig.xml”
>
> I’m trying to determine why the solr zk upconfig command is appending
> my local directory to the default confdir, rather than looking for the XML files in that directory, I have two other environments with Solr where this does not occur. It’s just this one environment that is having this issue.
> I am using Solr version 6.5.1.
> Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this would be appreciated.
>
> Mike

Re: Zk upconfig command is appending local directory to default confdir

Jörn Franke
You can call it via curl and it is no more complicated then zk- in the long run you will be happier

> Am 19.11.2019 um 13:27 schrieb Michael Becker <[hidden email]>:
>
> Jörn,
>
> We're using Solr to index a website. Basically, we set up Solr and Zookeeper once and let it run. The API is a bit too much overhead for something we just set once.
>
> Mike

Erick Erickson
And to make it more complicated, if you don’t have a version that has the CONFIGSET API, you can use bin/solr zk upconfig/downconfig…

Best,
Erick

> On Nov 19, 2019, at 8:18 AM, Jörn Franke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> You can call it via curl and it is no more complicated then zk- in the long run you will be happier
>
>> Am 19.11.2019 um 13:27 schrieb Michael Becker <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Jörn,
>>
>> We're using Solr to index a website. Basically, we set up Solr and Zookeeper once and let it run. The API is a bit too much overhead for something we just set once.
>>
>> Mike

Walter Underwood
I found the zk uploading stuff to be under-documented. Plus, it requires installing Solr on the deployment machine.

So I used the Python kazoo package and wrote my own uploader.

wunder
Walter Underwood

> On Nov 19, 2019, at 5:42 AM, Erick Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> And to make it more complicated, if you don’t have a version that has the CONFIGSET API, you can use bin/solr zk upconfig/downconfig…
>
> Best,
> Erick
>
>> On Nov 19, 2019, at 8:18 AM, Jörn Franke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> You can call it via curl and it is no more complicated then zk- in the long run you will be happier
>>
>>> Am 19.11.2019 um 13:27 schrieb Michael Becker <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Jörn,
>>>
>>> We're using Solr to index a website. Basically, we set up Solr and Zookeeper once and let it run. The API is a bit too much overhead for something we just set once.
>>>
>>> Mike

I was able to resolve this. I had left out the trailing "/" from the filepath, so Solr wasn't seeing it as a local directory.