autocommit and crashing tomcat

Jacob Singh-2
Hi,

If I'm using autocommit, and I have a crash of tomcat (or the whole
machine) while there are still docs pending, will I lose those
documents in limbo, or will I just be able to restart and then the
commit will run?

If the answer is "they go away": Is there anyway to ensure integrity
of an update?  I'd like to make a patch to help out with this, where
would one do it?

Thanks a bunch!
Jacob

--

+1 510 277-0891 (o)
+91 9999 33 7458 (m)

web: http://pajamadesign.com

Skype: pajamadesign
Yahoo: jacobsingh
AIM: jacobsingh
gTalk: [hidden email]

Re: autocommit and crashing tomcat

Yonik Seeley-2-2
On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 5:52 AM, Jacob Singh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If I'm using autocommit, and I have a crash of tomcat (or the whole
> machine) while there are still docs pending, will I lose those
> documents in limbo

Yep.

> If the answer is "they go away": Is there anyway to ensure integrity
> of an update?

You can only be sure that the docs are on the disk after you have done a commit.

An optional transaction log would be part of high-availability for
writes, is something we should eventually get to though.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com

Re: autocommit and crashing tomcat

Jacob Singh-2
Hi Yonik,

Thanks for the response.  If I shut down tomcat cleanly, does it
commit all uncommitted documents?

Best,
Jacob

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 5:52 AM, Jacob Singh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If I'm using autocommit, and I have a crash of tomcat (or the whole
> machine) while there are still docs pending, will I lose those
> documents in limbo

Yep.