backing up and restoring

rhys J
I made backups with the following command:

sudo -u solr curl '
http://localhost:8983/solr/debt/replication?command=backup&location=/tmp/solr
<http://localhost:8983/solr/gettingstarted/replication?command=backup&location=/tmp/solr>
backups/debt/'

I double checked that I had made the backup, and I had a backup.

To test the restore function, I deleted documents with the following
command:

sudo -u solr curl http://localhost:8983/solr/debt/update -H "Content-type:

I stopped and started the service to verify that there are 0 documents in
the debt core.

Then I ran the following command:

sudo -u solr curl
'http://localhost:8983/solr/debt/replication?command=restore&name=/tmp/solrbackups/debt/snapshot.20191211175715254'

response:

 "responseHeader":{
    "status":0,
    "QTime":4},
  "status":"OK"}

Then I went to the web API to check the amount of documents I had on the
core. It still says 0.

I stopped and started the service to just be sure that that wasn't the
problem, but it still says there are 0 documents.

Am I missing a step in how i restore a backup?

Thanks,

Rhys

Re: backing up and restoring

sudhir kumar-3
Hi Rhyhs,

once you backup index with some location, you have to specify the same
location to restore.

ie in your case /tmp/solr is the location indexed was backed up , use same
location for restore.

you did not provide name so latest snapshot will be restored.

curl '
http://localhost:8983/solr/debt/replication?command=backup&location=/tmp/solr
'

snapshot is created at /tmp/solr/snapshot.2019xxxxxxxxxx

execute below command, latest snapshot will be restored
curl '
http://localhost:8983/solr/debt/replication?command=restore&location=/tmp/solr
<http://localhost:8983/solr/debt/replication?command=backup&location=/tmp/solr>
'

below command can be used for details:
curl 'http://localhost:8983/solr/debt/replication?command=details
<http://localhost:8983/solr/debt/replication?command=backup&location=/tmp/solr>
'

for details please refer:
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/making-and-restoring-backups.html

Thanks,
Sudhir .

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 11:36 PM rhys J <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I made backups with the following command:
>
> sudo -u solr curl '
>
> http://localhost:8983/solr/debt/replication?command=backup&location=/tmp/solr
> <
> http://localhost:8983/solr/gettingstarted/replication?command=backup&location=/tmp/solr
> >
> backups/debt/'
>
> I double checked that I had made the backup, and I had a backup.
>
> To test the restore function, I deleted documents with the following
> command:
>
> sudo -u solr curl http://localhost:8983/solr/debt/update -H "Content-type:
>
> I stopped and started the service to verify that there are 0 documents in
> the debt core.
>
> Then I ran the following command:
>
> sudo -u solr curl
> '
> http://localhost:8983/solr/debt/replication?command=restore&name=/tmp/solrbackups/debt/snapshot.20191211175715254
> '
>
> response:
>
>  "responseHeader":{
>     "status":0,
>     "QTime":4},
>   "status":"OK"}
>
> Then I went to the web API to check the amount of documents I had on the
> core. It still says 0.
>
> I stopped and started the service to just be sure that that wasn't the
> problem, but it still says there are 0 documents.
>
> Am I missing a step in how i restore a backup?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rhys

Re: backing up and restoring

rhys J
On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 3:49 AM sudhir kumar <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> once you backup index with some location, you have to specify the same
> location to restore.
>
> ie in your case /tmp/solr is the location indexed was backed up , use same
> location for restore.
>
> you did not provide name so latest snapshot will be restored.
>
> curl '
>
> http://localhost:8983/solr/debt/replication?command=backup&location=/tmp/solr
> '
>
> snapshot is created at /tmp/solr/snapshot.2019xxxxxxxxxx
>
> execute below command, latest snapshot will be restored
> curl '
>
> http://localhost:8983/solr/debt/replication?command=restore&location=/tmp/solr
> <
> http://localhost:8983/solr/debt/replication?command=backup&location=/tmp/solr
> >
> '

I figured this out, but even when I specify location, and even name, I get
an OK from the status, but the index remains empty?

Commands used:

sudo -u solr curl '
http://localhost:8983/solr/debt/replication?command=backup
<http://localhost:8983/solr/gettingstarted/replication?command=backup&location=/tmp/solr>
&location=/tmp/solrbackups/debt/'

sudo -u solr curl
'http://localhost:8983/solr/debt/replication?command=restore&location=/tmp/solrbackups/debt/'

Thanks,

Rhys

Re: backing up and restoring

rhys J
This page seems to indicate that I should copy the files from the backup
directory back into the index?

Is this accurate?

https://codice.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DDF22/pages/2785407/Solr+Standalone+Server+Backup

Thanks,

Rhys

Re: backing up and restoring

rhys J
I was able to successfully restore a backup by specifying name and location
in the restore command.

But now when i try to run:

sudo -u solr curl http://localhost:8983/solr/debt/update -H "Content-type:

I get the following error:

 <str name="msg">no segments* file found in
LockValidatingDirectoryWrapper(NRTCachingDirectory(MMapDirectory@/var/solr/data/debt/data/index
lockFactory=org.apache.lucene.store.NativeFSLockFactory@4746f577;
maxCacheMB=48.0 maxMergeSizeMB=4.0)): files: [write.lock]</str>
  <str name="trace">org.apache.lucene.index.IndexNotFoundException: no
segments* file found in
LockValidatingDirectoryWrapper(NRTCachingDirectory(MMapDirectory@/var/solr/data/debt/data/index
lockFactory=org.apache.lucene.store.NativeFSLockFactory@4746f577;
maxCacheMB=48.0 maxMergeSizeMB=4.0)): files: [write.lock]

I am just copying the top portion of the error, as it is very long.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks,

Rhys

Re: backing up and restoring

Paras Lehana
Looks like a write lock. Did reloading the core fix that? I guess it would
have been fixed by now. I guess you had run the delete query few moments
after restoring, no?

On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 at 21:55, rhys J <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was able to successfully restore a backup by specifying name and location
> in the restore command.
>
> But now when i try to run:
>
> sudo -u solr curl http://localhost:8983/solr/debt/update -H "Content-type:
>
> I get the following error:
>
>  <str name="msg">no segments* file found in
> LockValidatingDirectoryWrapper(NRTCachingDirectory(MMapDirectory@
> /var/solr/data/debt/data/index
> lockFactory=org.apache.lucene.store.NativeFSLockFactory@4746f577;
> maxCacheMB=48.0 maxMergeSizeMB=4.0)): files: [write.lock]</str>
>   <str name="trace">org.apache.lucene.index.IndexNotFoundException: no
> segments* file found in
> LockValidatingDirectoryWrapper(NRTCachingDirectory(MMapDirectory@
> /var/solr/data/debt/data/index
> lockFactory=org.apache.lucene.store.NativeFSLockFactory@4746f577;
> maxCacheMB=48.0 maxMergeSizeMB=4.0)): files: [write.lock]
>
> I am just copying the top portion of the error, as it is very long.
>
> What did I do wrong?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rhys

*Paras Lehana* [65871]
Development Engineer, Auto-Suggest,
IndiaMART Intermesh Ltd.

8th Floor, Tower A, Advant-Navis Business Park, Sector 142,
Noida, UP, IN - 201303

Mob.: +91-9560911996
Work: 01203916600 | Extn:  *8173*

--
*
*

 <https://www.facebook.com/IndiaMART/videos/578196442936091/>

Re: backing up and restoring

rhys J
On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 1:42 AM Paras Lehana <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Looks like a write lock. Did reloading the core fix that? I guess it would
> have been fixed by now. I guess you had run the delete query few moments
> after restoring, no?

Restoring setting the name parameter only worked the once.

This is my workaround:

run backup command

Delete documents.

Stop solr
Start solr

delete the segment and write.lock files by name.

Copy over the index files from the snapshot to the data/index folder

Start solr

Verify presence of documents via search for *:*

I know it's not pretty, but I have found it works every time.

Thanks,

Rhys