chaning schema

gearond
Anyone got a great little script for changing a schema?

i.e., after changing:
  database,
  the view in the database for data import
  the data-config.xml file
  the schema.xml file

I BELIEVE that I have to run:
  a delete command for the whole index *:*
  a full import and optimize

This all sound right?

 Dennis Gearon

Signature Warning
----------------
It is always a good idea to learn from your own mistakes. It is usually a better
idea to learn from others’ mistakes, so you do not have to make them yourself.
from 'http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=4501&tag=nl.e036'

EARTH has a Right To Life,
otherwise we all die.

Re: chaning schema

Erick Erickson
That sounds right. You can cheat and just remove <solr_home>/data/index
rather than delete *:* though (you should probably do that with the Solr
instance stopped)....

Make sure to remove the directory "index" as well.

Best
Erick

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 1:27 AM, Dennis Gearon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anyone got a great little script for changing a schema?
>
> i.e., after changing:
>  database,
>  the view in the database for data import
>  the data-config.xml file
>  the schema.xml file
>
> I BELIEVE that I have to run:
>  a delete command for the whole index *:*
>  a full import and optimize
>
> This all sound right?
>
>  Dennis Gearon
>

> Signature Warning
> ----------------
> It is always a good idea to learn from your own mistakes. It is usually a
> better
> idea to learn from others’ mistakes, so you do not have to make them
> yourself.
> from 'http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=4501&tag=nl.e036'
>

> EARTH has a Right To Life,
> otherwise we all die.

Re: chaning schema

Stefan Matheis
From http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DataImportHandler#Commands

> The handler exposes all its API as http requests . The following are the possible operations
> [..]
> clean : (default 'true'). Tells whether to clean up the index before the indexing is started

so, no need for an (additional) delete *:* or?

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Erick Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That sounds right. You can cheat and just remove <solr_home>/data/index
> rather than delete *:* though (you should probably do that with the Solr
> instance stopped)....
>
> Make sure to remove the directory "index" as well.
>
> Best
> Erick
>
> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 1:27 AM, Dennis Gearon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Anyone got a great little script for changing a schema?
>>
>> i.e., after changing:
>>  database,
>>  the view in the database for data import
>>  the data-config.xml file
>>  the schema.xml file
>>
>> I BELIEVE that I have to run:
>>  a delete command for the whole index *:*
>>  a full import and optimize
>>
>> This all sound right?
>>
>>  Dennis Gearon
>>

>> Signature Warning
>> ----------------
>> It is always a good idea to learn from your own mistakes. It is usually a
>> better
>> idea to learn from others’ mistakes, so you do not have to make them
>> yourself.
>> from 'http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=4501&tag=nl.e036'
>>

>> EARTH has a Right To Life,
>> otherwise we all die.

Re: chaning schema

gearond
I tried removing the index directory once, and tomcat refused to sart up because
it didn't have a segments file.

That sounds right. You can cheat and just remove <solr_home>/data/index
rather than delete *:* though (you should probably do that with the Solr
instance stopped)....

Make sure to remove the directory "index" as well.

Best
Erick

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 1:27 AM, Dennis Gearon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anyone got a great little script for changing a schema?
>
> i.e., after changing:
>  database,
>  the view in the database for data import
>  the data-config.xml file
>  the schema.xml file
>
> I BELIEVE that I have to run:
>  a delete command for the whole index *:*
>  a full import and optimize
>
> This all sound right?
>
>  Dennis Gearon
>

> Signature Warning
> ----------------
> It is always a good idea to learn from your own mistakes. It is usually a
> better
> idea to learn from others’ mistakes, so you do not have to make them
> yourself.
> from 'http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=4501&tag=nl.e036'
>

> EARTH has a Right To Life,
> otherwise we all die.

Re: chaning schema

Erik Hatcher-4
the trick is, you have to remove the data/ directory, not just the data/index subdirectory.  and of course then restart Solr.

or delete *:*?commit=true, depending on what's the best fit for your ops.

        Erik

On Feb 1, 2011, at 11:41 , Dennis Gearon wrote:

> I tried removing the index directory once, and tomcat refused to sart up because
> it didn't have a segments file.

Re: chaning schema

gearond
Cool, thanks for the tip, Erik :-)

There's so much to learn, and I haven't even got to tuning the thing for best
results.

 Dennis Gearon

Signature Warning
----------------
It is always a good idea to learn from your own mistakes. It is usually a better
idea to learn from others’ mistakes, so you do not have to make them yourself.
from 'http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=4501&tag=nl.e036'

EARTH has a Right To Life,
otherwise we all die.

the trick is, you have to remove the data/ directory, not just the data/index
subdirectory.  and of course then restart Solr.

or delete *:*?commit=true, depending on what's the best fit for your ops.

    Erik

On Feb 1, 2011, at 11:41 , Dennis Gearon wrote:

> I tried removing the index directory once, and tomcat refused to sart up
>because
>
> it didn't have a segments file.

Re: chaning schema

Erik:

Is this a Tomcat-specific issue? Because I regularly delete just the
data/index directory on my Windows
box running Jetty without any problems..... (3_x and trunk)

Mostly want to know because I just encouraged someone to just delete the
index dir based on my
experience...

Thanks
Erick

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 12:24 PM, Erik Hatcher <[hidden email]>wrote:

> the trick is, you have to remove the data/ directory, not just the
> data/index subdirectory.  and of course then restart Solr.
>
> or delete *:*?commit=true, depending on what's the best fit for your ops.
>
>        Erik
>
> On Feb 1, 2011, at 11:41 , Dennis Gearon wrote:
>
> > I tried removing the index directory once, and tomcat refused to sart up
> because
> > it didn't have a segments file.

Re: chaning schema

Gora Mohanty-3
On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 6:47 PM, Erick Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Erik:
>
> Is this a Tomcat-specific issue? Because I regularly delete just the
> data/index directory on my Windows
> box running Jetty without any problems..... (3_x and trunk)
>
> Mostly want to know because I just encouraged someone to just delete the
> index dir based on my
> experience...
>
> Thanks
> Erick
>
> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 12:24 PM, Erik Hatcher <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> the trick is, you have to remove the data/ directory, not just the
>> data/index subdirectory.  and of course then restart Solr.
>>
>> or delete *:*?commit=true, depending on what's the best fit for your ops.
>>
>>        Erik
>>
>> On Feb 1, 2011, at 11:41 , Dennis Gearon wrote:
>>
>> > I tried removing the index directory once, and tomcat refused to sart up
>> because
>> > it didn't have a segments file.
[...]

I have seen this error with Tomcat, but in my experience, this has been due
to doing a "rm data/index/*" rather than "rm -rf /data/index", or due to doing
this without first shutting down Tomcat.

Regards,
Gora

Re: chaning schema

gearond
Well, the nice thing is that I have an Amazon based dev server, and it's AMI
stored. So if I screw something up, I just throw away that server and get a
fresh one all configured and full of dev data and BAM back to where I was.

So I'll try it again with the -rf flags.

I did shut down the server and I am using Tomcat.

 Dennis Gearon

Signature Warning
----------------
It is always a good idea to learn from your own mistakes. It is usually a better
idea to learn from others’ mistakes, so you do not have to make them yourself.
from 'http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=4501&tag=nl.e036'

EARTH has a Right To Life,
otherwise we all die.

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 6:47 PM, Erick Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Erik:
>
> Is this a Tomcat-specific issue? Because I regularly delete just the
> data/index directory on my Windows
> box running Jetty without any problems..... (3_x and trunk)
>
> Mostly want to know because I just encouraged someone to just delete the
> index dir based on my
> experience...
>
> Thanks
> Erick
>
> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 12:24 PM, Erik Hatcher <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> the trick is, you have to remove the data/ directory, not just the
>> data/index subdirectory.  and of course then restart Solr.
>>
>> or delete *:*?commit=true, depending on what's the best fit for your ops.
>>
>>        Erik
>>
>> On Feb 1, 2011, at 11:41 , Dennis Gearon wrote:
>>
>> > I tried removing the index directory once, and tomcat refused to sart up
>> because
>> > it didn't have a segments file.
[...]

I have seen this error with Tomcat, but in my experience, this has been due
to doing a "rm data/index/*" rather than "rm -rf /data/index", or due to doing
this without first shutting down Tomcat.

Regards,
Gora

Re: chaning schema

Jonathan Rochkind
It could be related Tomcat.  I've had inconsistent experiences there
too, I _thought_ I could delete just the contents of the data/
directory, but at some point I realized that wasn't working, confusing
me as to whether I was remembering correctly that deleting just the
contents ever worked.   At the moment, on my setup, I definitely need to
delete the whole data/ directory .

At one point I switched my setup from jetty to tomcat, but at about the
same point I switched my setup from single core to multi-core too. So it
could be a multi-core thing too (which seems somewhat more likely than
jetty vs tomcat making a difference). Or it could be something
completely else that none of us know, I just report my limited
observations from experience. :)

Jonathan