code v.s. schema for BEST_COMPRESSION mode

code v.s. schema for BEST_COMPRESSION mode

Zahra Aminolroaya
This post was updated on .
I want to reduce the size of indexed and stored documents in Solr. I found
two ways. In the first solution,
http://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/codec-factory.html#solr-schemacodecfactory
, it is only needed to change the compressionMode in the codecFactory section
of schema. In the other way,
http://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/releases/lucene-solr/6.4.0/lucene/core/src/java/org/apache/lucene/codecs/compressing/CompressingStoredFieldsFormat.java ,
it is needed to use the java code to compress stored field.

What is the difference between these solutions? Is it enough to use the
schema editting way?

Re: code v.s. schema for BEST_COMPRESSION mode

Tomás Fernández Löbbe
The schema configuration in your first link is the way to tell Solr to use
a particular compression mode in the Lucene index (the second link).
So yes, the schema change should be enough.