dismax and q.op

Mark Fletcher-4
Hi,

I am using dismax handler. I have it set up in my solrconfig.xml.
 I have *not* used default="true" while setting it up  (the standard still
has default="true")
 *I haven't mentioned value for mm*
In my schema.xml I have set the default operator to be AND.
When I query I use the following in my query url where my query is for say
for example  *international monetary fund*:-
.../select?*q.alt*=international+monetary+fund&*qt=dismax*

My result:- No results; but each of the terms individually gave me results!

I appreciate any help on my following queries :-
1. Will the query look for documents that have *international* AND *monetary
* AND *fund*
    or is it some other behavior based on the setting I have mentioned
above.
2. Does the default operator specified in schema.xml take effect when we use
dismax also or is it only for the *standard* request handler. If it has an
effect if we specify
    value for mm like say 90% will it overridethe schema.xml default
operator set up.
3. How does q.alt and q difer in behavior in the above case. I found q.alt
to be giving me the results which I got when I used the standard RH also.
Hence used it.
4. When I make a change to the dismax set up I have in solrconfig.xml I
believe i just have to bounce the SOLR server.Do i need to re-index again
for the change to take effect
5. If I use the dismax how do I see the ANALYSIS feature on the admin
console other wise used for *standard* RH.

Thanks for your patience.

Best Rgds,
Mark.

Re: dismax and q.op

hossman

:  *I haven't mentioned value for mm*
: My result:- No results; but each of the terms individually gave me results!

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DisMaxRequestHandler#mm_.28Minimum_.27Should.27_Match.29

        "The default value is 100% (all clauses must match)"

: 2. Does the default operator specified in schema.xml take effect when we use
: dismax also or is it only for the *standard* request handler. If it has an

dismax doesn't look at the default operator, or q.op.

: 3. How does q.alt and q difer in behavior in the above case. I found q.alt
: to be giving me the results which I got when I used the standard RH also.
: Hence used it.

q.alt is used if and only if there is no q param (or hte q param is blank)
... the number of patches "q" gets, or the value of "mm" make no
differnce.

: 4. When I make a change to the dismax set up I have in solrconfig.xml I
: believe i just have to bounce the SOLR server.Do i need to re-index again
: for the change to take effect

no ... changes to "query" time options like your SearchHandler configs
don't require reindexing .. changes to your schema.xml *may* requre
reindexing.

: 5. If I use the dismax how do I see the ANALYSIS feature on the admin
: console other wise used for *standard* RH.

I'm afraid i don't understand this question ... analysis.jsp just shows
you the index and query time analysis that is performed when certain
fields are used -- it dosen't know/care about your choice of parser ... it
knows nothing about query parser syntax.

Re: dismax and q.op

Mark Fletcher-4
Hi Hoss,

Thankyou so much for your time.

Regarding the last one I myself got confused when I posed the question. I
got it after your reply. I think I was actually looking for some thing like
the debugQuery="on" option, which I found later.

Best Regards,
Mark.