downloaded wars can't deploy

netsql-4
I tried all the downloadable version (4) and in 3 different containers,
including Jetty.

I deployed the war file from /dist folder.

At start up of each container it said it can't find some solar.config files
and the they barfed.
Are people able to use solr today?
If so how?

tia,
.V

Re: downloaded wars can't deploy

Chris Hostetter-3

: At start up of each container it said it can't find some solar.config files
: and the they barfed.
: Are people able to use solr today?
: If so how?

please take a look at the Tutorial and try out the example
configuration...

        http://incubator.apache.org/solr/tutorial.html

...Like many applications, Solr can't do anything without some basic
configuration information.

Re: Re: downloaded wars can't deploy

netsql-4
I take it that others can get it to work.

I read the tutorial. (I did not see anything about solar config xml there).
I did the post, that seemed to work.
I then surfed to /admin and it gave me jsp errors on all 3 containers.

Where would I get a sample solar.xml config files? Where would I put
them? What to do about jsps that won't load?

tia,
.V

> : At start up of each container it said it can't find some solar.config files
> : and the they barfed.
> : Are people able to use solr today?
> : If so how?
>
> please take a look at the Tutorial and try out the example
> configuration...
>
>         http://incubator.apache.org/solr/tutorial.html
>
> ...Like many applications, Solr can't do anything without some basic
> configuration information.
>

> -Hoss

Re: Re: downloaded wars can't deploy

Chris Hostetter-3

: I read the tutorial. (I did not see anything about solar config xml there).
: Where would I get a sample solar.xml config files? Where would I put

I'm sorry ... i thought the tutorial was more clear about this, but
looking at it again I see that it doesn't specificly discuss
configuration.

The tutorial walks you though some example uses of Solr using some example
config files ... take a look at the ./solr directory in the example
directory used in the tutorial.

More info about the two core configuration files Solr needs can be found
in the wiki...

        http://wiki.apache.org/solr/ConfiguringSolr

Re: Re: Re: downloaded wars can't deploy

Mike Klaas
On 10/29/06, netsql <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I take it that others can get it to work.
>
> I read the tutorial. (I did not see anything about solar config xml there).
> I did the post, that seemed to work.
> I then surfed to /admin and it gave me jsp errors on all 3 containers.

It is possible that you have a JRE installed instead of a JDK?  Solr
requires the latter for the admin pages.

-Mike

Re: downloaded wars can't deploy

Otis Gospodnetic-2
This is what I just stuck in my Solr SVN checkout, so I can build + deploy the app:

rm -rfv /usr/local/jetty/work/* && \
ant dist-war && \
cp dist/solr-1.0.war /usr/local/jetty/webapps/solr.war
pushd /usr/local/jetty/ && \
java -classpath `/simpy/bin/addjars /usr/local/jetty/lib`:`/simpy/bin/addjars /usr/local/jetty/ext` \
-Dsolr.solr.home=/tmp/solr-nightly/example/solr -DDEBUG -DDEBUG_VERBOSE=1 -Djetty.home=/usr/local/jetty -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -server org.mortbay.jetty.Server /usr/local/jetty/etc/jetty.xml ; popd

/simpy/bin/addjars is just a shell script that puts all Jars from the given dir in a path:like:this

I downloaded the recent nightly build and unpacked it in /tmp/solr-nightly, so I then just used that to set solr.solr.home system property with "-Dsolr.solr.home=/tmp/solr-nightly/example/solr"

This is not ideal though, as every time I make a change I need to run this, remove old files, build a war, deploy it, and wait a few seconds for Jetty to unpack it.

How are people who are actively working on Solr doing this?  Yonik, Hoss, Mike...?  What's your setup like?

Thanks,
Otis

On 10/30/06, Otis Gospodnetic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is what I just stuck in my Solr SVN checkout, so I can build + deploy the app:
<>
> This is not ideal though, as every time I make a change I need to run this, remove old files, build a war, deploy it, and wait a few seconds for Jetty to unpack it.
>
> How are people who are actively working on Solr doing this?  Yonik, Hoss, Mike...?  What's your setup like?

My setup is relatively primitive, since my Solr dev time is limited.
All of my changes have been developed using unit tests and the example
app.  Make a change, 'ant -Dtestcase=... test' (with an occasional
'ant clean').  To test with the example, 'ant clean example', Ctrl-C
the open jetty process (in a terminal) and restart it (up-enter).

Our work usage of solr is a different beast altogether; I assume you
were talking mostly about developping Solr itself.

-Mike

Re: downloaded wars can't deploy

Chris Hostetter-3

: My setup is relatively primitive, since my Solr dev time is limited.
: All of my changes have been developed using unit tests and the example
: app.  Make a change, 'ant -Dtestcase=... test' (with an occasional
: 'ant clean').  To test with the example, 'ant clean example', Ctrl-C
: the open jetty process (in a terminal) and restart it (up-enter).

This is what i do as well when working on Solr internals.  When working on
specific Solr applications at work, we have CNET specific RPMs containing
"blessed" Solr releases, and I just use those ... but we don't rev our
internal Solr RPMs very often

Re: downloaded wars can't deploy

netsql-4
My solution to get it to work, was this in Resin:

<host id="" root-directory=".">

<env-entry>
  <env-entry-name>solr/home</env-entry-name>
  <env-entry-type>java.lang.String</env-entry-type>
  <env-entry-value>/solr1</env-entry-value>
 </env-entry>

so it can find the config.

thx,
.V
ps:
(one day I might venture to replace the solr.client xml centric protocol w/
hessian)