feature branches

Michael Sokolov-4
Hi, can someone point me to how-to for feature branches? Recently,
Hoss said branches must be named starting jira/, but I'm not familiar
with this convention. Is it written down somewhere? If we follow that,
can we use github to coordinate PR's against a feature branch among
multiple developers?

-Mike

Re: feature branches

Dawid Weiss-2
> Hoss said branches must be named starting jira/, but I'm not familiar
> with this convention.

This convention is merely so that when you do "git branch -r" the
branches displayed are sorted and presented in some sane order
(because of prefixes).

> If we follow that, can we use github to coordinate PR's against a feature branch among
> multiple developers?

If you create a branch with a prefix and somebody forks the project
and then creates a pull request then it's still going to be against
that prefixed branch (read: I don't see the problem?).

Branches are just labels attached to a commit. Nothing special about
the slash character (I believe).

D.

Re: feature branches

Michael Sokolov-4
got it, thanks!

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 4:10 PM Dawid Weiss <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Hoss said branches must be named starting jira/, but I'm not familiar
> > with this convention.
>
> This convention is merely so that when you do "git branch -r" the
> branches displayed are sorted and presented in some sane order
> (because of prefixes).
>
> > If we follow that, can we use github to coordinate PR's against a feature branch among
> > multiple developers?
>
> If you create a branch with a prefix and somebody forks the project
> and then creates a pull request then it's still going to be against
> that prefixed branch (read: I don't see the problem?).
>
> Branches are just labels attached to a commit. Nothing special about
> the slash character (I believe).
>

> D.

Re: feature branches

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
Just another piece of gem that I know if is that if your feature branch name is in lowercase, commits there don't generate jira comments.

On Wed, 20 Nov, 2019, 3:02 AM Michael Sokolov, <[hidden email]> wrote:
got it, thanks!

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 4:10 PM Dawid Weiss <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Hoss said branches must be named starting jira/, but I'm not familiar
> > with this convention.
>
> This convention is merely so that when you do "git branch -r" the
> branches displayed are sorted and presented in some sane order
> (because of prefixes).
>
> > If we follow that, can we use github to coordinate PR's against a feature branch among
> > multiple developers?
>
> If you create a branch with a prefix and somebody forks the project
> and then creates a pull request then it's still going to be against
> that prefixed branch (read: I don't see the problem?).
>
> Branches are just labels attached to a commit. Nothing special about
> the slash character (I believe).
>

> D.

Re: feature branches

david.w.smiley@gmail.com
Yes; I'm partly responsible for that choice.  Basically I want us to standardize our branch names, and thus this feature of no noisy bot comments pertaining to commits is exclusive to lowercase.  What follows is my dev list post on this, which was agreed and not contested:

(Early 2016)
---
FYI as of March 15th (10 days now), commits to branches following the pattern (lucene|solr).*  (i.e. that which start with "lucene" or "solr") will *not* get an automated comment on corresponding JIRAissues.  All others continue to.  INFRA got this done for us: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-11198

I could have asked for a "jira" prefix too but leaving it this ways encourages consistent branch naming that has been the most prevalent to date.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 7:35 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just another piece of gem that I know if is that if your feature branch name is in lowercase, commits there don't generate jira comments.

On Wed, 20 Nov, 2019, 3:02 AM Michael Sokolov, <[hidden email]> wrote:
got it, thanks!

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 4:10 PM Dawid Weiss <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Hoss said branches must be named starting jira/, but I'm not familiar
> > with this convention.
>
> This convention is merely so that when you do "git branch -r" the
> branches displayed are sorted and presented in some sane order
> (because of prefixes).
>
> > If we follow that, can we use github to coordinate PR's against a feature branch among
> > multiple developers?
>
> If you create a branch with a prefix and somebody forks the project
> and then creates a pull request then it's still going to be against
> that prefixed branch (read: I don't see the problem?).
>
> Branches are just labels attached to a commit. Nothing special about
> the slash character (I believe).
>

> D.

Re: feature branches

Ishan Chattopadhyaya