fields that change over time

Peter A. Friend
 From reading the docs, it appears that Lucene supports addition of
new fields over time to an existing index. This is very handy for
folks whose indexing requirements change over time. My question has
to do with a change in an existing field name that goes from being
unstored to stored. Obviously any previously indexed document will
not have the stored value, but will Lucene handle a mix of unstored
and stored values for a given field name, within the same index?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Re: fields that change over time

Erik Hatcher

On Jun 14, 2005, at 12:46 PM, Peter A. Friend wrote:

> From reading the docs, it appears that Lucene supports addition of
> new fields over time to an existing index. This is very handy for
> folks whose indexing requirements change over time. My question has
> to do with a change in an existing field name that goes from being
> unstored to stored. Obviously any previously indexed document will
> not have the stored value, but will Lucene handle a mix of unstored
> and stored values for a given field name, within the same index?

Yes, it will handle that situation just fine.  Stored fields are per-
document, so it won't matter that some documents used field "foo" as
unstored and other documents stored their value in "foo".

     Erik