filter caching

Les Fletcher
I have a question about filter caching.  I have a lot of QueryFilters
that I use when searching that filter on a single field.  Sometimes
alone I use them by themselves, but mostly I use them in some
combination using ChainedFilter.  Does the caching take advantage of
only the final filter that used in the query, or would a ChainedFilter
(say 'A and B and C') make use of the cached versions of the single
field QueryFilters A,B and C and just combine their bitsets?

The reason I ask about this is for when I comes time to warm a new
IndexReader.  Ideally I'd like to just run all of the single field
QueryFilters against the index and have it cache those, and then be able
to make use of those cached filters in my more complex filters.

This seems like a fairly basic concern, but I was unable to find
anything addressed this concern explicitly.  (I could just have been
searching for the wrong stuff).  Anyways, thanks.

Les

Re: filter caching

Chris Hostetter-3
: I have a question about filter caching.  I have a lot of QueryFilters
: that I use when searching that filter on a single field.  Sometimes
: alone I use them by themselves, but mostly I use them in some
: combination using ChainedFilter.  Does the caching take advantage of
: only the final filter that used in the query, or would a ChainedFilter
: (say 'A and B and C') make use of the cached versions of the single
: field QueryFilters A,B and C and just combine their bitsets?

the individual QueryFilter's cache themselves, if you want a ChainedFilter
composed of those QueryFilter's to be cached you should wrap it in a
CachingWrapperFilter.

Re: filter caching

Les Fletcher
If the Chained filter works off of the cached QueryFilters, then that is
great and I don't mind not caching the ChainedFilter and doing the work
to combine those bit vectors (assuming that is what it is doing).  I
want to build up a set of small QueryFilters and that can be cached and
be combined in any order (using the ChainedFilter operations) while
still making use of caching.  If ChainedFilter does this (or doesn't),
it would be nice to have it mentioned in the API docs.

Les

Chris Hostetter wrote:

>: I have a question about filter caching.  I have a lot of QueryFilters
>: that I use when searching that filter on a single field.  Sometimes
>: alone I use them by themselves, but mostly I use them in some
>: combination using ChainedFilter.  Does the caching take advantage of
>: only the final filter that used in the query, or would a ChainedFilter
>: (say 'A and B and C') make use of the cached versions of the single
>: field QueryFilters A,B and C and just combine their bitsets?
>
>the individual QueryFilter's cache themselves, if you want a ChainedFilter
>composed of those QueryFilter's to be cached you should wrap it in a
>CachingWrapperFilter.
>

>-Hoss

Re: filter caching

Chris Hostetter-3

: want to build up a set of small QueryFilters and that can be cached and
: be combined in any order (using the ChainedFilter operations) while
: still making use of caching.  If ChainedFilter does this (or doesn't),
: it would be nice to have it mentioned in the API docs.

what you are asking for seems to be that we document that ChainedFilter
doesn't cache ... that seems odd.  there are lots of classes that don't do
lots of things (because they only do one thing) we don't enumarte all of
thethings they *don't* do unless there is some reason people would assume
otherwise and we want to correct their assumption.

* QueryFilter is documented to wrap a Query so that it can be used as a
  Filter, and cache that Filter.
* ChainedFilter is documented as a way to combine other filters

ChainedFilter doesn't care if the fitlers it combines are cached or not,
and QueryFilter doesn't care if it gets put into a ChainedFilter --
neither of those things affects the behavior of hte otherone ... so i'm
notreally sure i understand what it is you think should be added to the
API docs.