help with facets and searchable fields

adeelmahmood
hi there
i am trying to get familiar with solr while setting it up on my local pc and indeing and retrieving some sample data .. a couple of things i am having trouble with
1 - in my schema if i dont use the copyField to copy data from some fields to the text field .. they are not searchable .. so if i just have an id and title field with searchable and sortable attributes set to true .. i cant search for them but as soon as I add them to the 'text' field with the copyField functionality .. they become searchable ..

2 - i have another field called category which can be something like category 1, category 2, ...
again same idea here .. cateogory field by itself isnt searchable until i copy it into the text field .. and as i understand all data is simply appended in the text field .. so after that if i search for some field with title matching to my query and then if i facet with the category field .. and if my result lets say was in category 1 .. the facet count is then returned as 2 .. with Category being the first thing and 2 being the second thing .. how can i make it so that it consider 'Category 2' as a single thing

any help is appreciated

Re: help with facets and searchable fields

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
Can you show us your field definitions and the exact query string you are using, and what you expect to see?

--
Jan Høydahl  - search architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com