high cpu usage

Erez Zarum
Hello,
We have been running read only solr instances for a few months now,
yesterday i have noticed an high cpu usage coming from the JVM, it
simply use 100% of the CPU for no reason.
Nothing was changed, we are using Jetty as a Servlet container for solr.
Where can i start looking what cause it? it has been using 100% CPU for
almost 24 hours now.

Thanks,
        Erez.

Re: high cpu usage

Erick Erickson
You can try attaching jConsole to the process to see what it shows. If
you're on a *nix box
you can get a gross idea what's going on with "top".

Best
Erick

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 4:31 AM, Erez Zarum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
> We have been running read only solr instances for a few months now,
> yesterday i have noticed an high cpu usage coming from the JVM, it simply
> use 100% of the CPU for no reason.
> Nothing was changed, we are using Jetty as a Servlet container for solr.
> Where can i start looking what cause it? it has been using 100% CPU for
> almost 24 hours now.
>
> Thanks,
>        Erez.

Re: high cpu usage

Otis Gospodnetic-2

This could be the JVM doing constant GCing because there is not much room in the
heap for new objects (jstat will help you check this).  It could also be that
you have a deadlock - I just saw a similar case with one of our customers' Solr
- out of N CPU cores, one was at 100% and jstack showed a deadlock (in
HttpClient used by SolrJ).

Otis
----
Sematext :: http://sematext.com/ :: Solr - Lucene - Nutch