leading wildcards

Sergey Polzunov-2
Hi
             I found the thread about enabling leading wildcards in
Solr as additional option in config file. I've got nightly Solr build
and I can't find any options connected with leading wildcards in
config files.

             How I can enable leading wildcard queries in Solr? Thank you

Best regards,
Traut

Re: leading wildcards

Bill Au
The related bug is still open:

Bill

On Nov 12, 2007 10:25 AM, Traut <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>              I found the thread about enabling leading wildcards in
> Solr as additional option in config file. I've got nightly Solr build
> and I can't find any options connected with leading wildcards in
> config files.
>
>              How I can enable leading wildcard queries in Solr? Thank you
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Traut

Re: leading wildcards

Sergey Polzunov-2
Seems like there is no way to enable leading wildcard queries except
code editing and files repacking. :(

Best regards,
Traut

Re: leading wildcards

mgkimsal
Vote for that issue and perhaps it'll gain some more traction.  A former
colleague of mine was the one who contributed the patch in SOLR 218 and it
would be nice to have that configuration option 'standard' (if off by
default) in the next SOLR release.

Michael Kimsal
http://webdevradio.com

Re: leading wildcards

Ian Holsman (Lists)
the solution that works for me is to store the field in reverse order,
and have your application reverse the field in the query.

so the field www.example.com would be stored as
moc.elmpaxe.www

so now I can do a search for *.example.com in my application.

Regards
Ian
(hat tip to erik for the idea)

Michael Kimsal wrote:

> Vote for that issue and perhaps it'll gain some more traction.  A former
> colleague of mine was the one who contributed the patch in SOLR 218 and it
> would be nice to have that configuration option 'standard' (if off by
> default) in the next SOLR release.
>

> On Nov 12, 2007 11:18 AM, Traut <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Seems like there is no way to enable leading wildcard queries except
>> code editing and files repacking. :(
>>
>> On 11/12/07, Bill Au <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> The related bug is still open:
>>>
>>> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-218
>>>
>>> Bill

>> you

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Traut

Re: leading wildcards

Sean Timm
Similarly, if you know that you are dealing with domain names or ip
addresses (or other text with discrete parts), you can reverse the order
of the parts rather than at the character level making it more human
readable: com.example.www  Your query would then be sent as com.example.*

-Sean