license headers

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

license headers

Yonik Seeley-2
Has anyone run RAT recently?
http://incubator.apache.org/rat/

Non-trivial files need ASL headers, and we are releasing new source
directories this time...  looking through flare, for example, I see a
lot of files that need it added.

-Yonik
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: license headers

Erik Hatcher
Regarding Flare - I'm personally ok with it not being part of the 1.3  
distro at this point.  I haven't touched it in a while and I don't  
believe it works with the latest version of Rails either, so it might  
not be worth the trouble to distribute it.

But, I'll fix up the file headers anyway.

        Erik

On Sep 9, 2008, at 11:39 AM, Yonik Seeley wrote:

> Has anyone run RAT recently?
> http://incubator.apache.org/rat/
>
> Non-trivial files need ASL headers, and we are releasing new source
> directories this time...  looking through flare, for example, I see a
> lot of files that need it added.
>
> -Yonik

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: license headers

Erik Hatcher
In reply to this post by Yonik Seeley-2
I just modified the build both on trunk and the 1.3 branch to exclude  
flare from the distribution.

Us solr-rubyists will take up the charge on getting Flare back in  
usable shape for future releases (it works now, just requires an older  
version of Rails), including fixing up licensing headers.

        Erik

On Sep 9, 2008, at 11:39 AM, Yonik Seeley wrote:

> Has anyone run RAT recently?
> http://incubator.apache.org/rat/
>
> Non-trivial files need ASL headers, and we are releasing new source
> directories this time...  looking through flare, for example, I see a
> lot of files that need it added.
>
> -Yonik

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

solr.py [was: license headers]

Mike Klaas
I was thinking that we may want to move the python client out of the  
distro as well.  It is untested with 1.3 and unmaintained.

Is seems that it would be best for an interested party to maintain a  
python client outside the confines of the official Solr project (we  
can always re-integrate it later).

I'm not sure what our back-compatibility guarantees are for things  
like clients.  If it is unacceptible to remove, we should at least add  
a note to the file documenting its obsolescence.

-Mike

On 9-Sep-08, at 10:21 AM, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> I just modified the build both on trunk and the 1.3 branch to  
> exclude flare from the distribution.
>
> Us solr-rubyists will take up the charge on getting Flare back in  
> usable shape for future releases (it works now, just requires an  
> older version of Rails), including fixing up licensing headers.
>
> Erik
>
> On Sep 9, 2008, at 11:39 AM, Yonik Seeley wrote:
>
>> Has anyone run RAT recently?
>> http://incubator.apache.org/rat/
>>
>> Non-trivial files need ASL headers, and we are releasing new source
>> directories this time...  looking through flare, for example, I see a
>> lot of files that need it added.
>>
>> -Yonik
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: solr.py [was: license headers]

hossman

: I was thinking that we may want to move the python client out of the distro as
: well.  It is untested with 1.3 and unmaintained.

+1

that seems like the best plan.  I would make a note to that effect in both
a new client/python/README.txt file committed in the trunk, as well as on
the wiki.  

: I'm not sure what our back-compatibility guarantees are for things like
: clients.  If it is unacceptible to remove, we should at least add a note to
: the file documenting its obsolescence.

we've never really made any official claims about compatibility client
code compatibility in the past releases ... then again, we've never really
made any official claims about core code compatibility in past releases,
we've just loosely adopted the basic pattern used by the lucene-java
subproject since that was what was most familiar to the orriginal
committers.

It's probably a worthwhile discussion to have, but i digress.  

As far as solr.py goes i think it's best to leave it out of 1.3 ... i
think there are some patches for it in Jira, i confess that as someone who
knows nothing about python i haven't paid any attention to them.  it would
be good to revist those at some point and (assuming they work well) see if
the people responsible for them would be interested in taking on some
ownership of hte code ... but it's too late to worry about that for 1.3.




-Hoss

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: solr.py [was: license headers]

Mike Klaas

On 9-Sep-08, at 6:49 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

>
> : I was thinking that we may want to move the python client out of  
> the distro as
> : well.  It is untested with 1.3 and unmaintained.
>
> +1
>
> that seems like the best plan.  I would make a note to that effect  
> in both
> a new client/python/README.txt file committed in the trunk, as well  
> as on
> the wiki.

I'll do this later today if I don't hear any objections.

> It's probably a worthwhile discussion to have, but i digress.
>
> As far as solr.py goes i think it's best to leave it out of 1.3 ... i
> think there are some patches for it in Jira, i confess that as  
> someone who
> knows nothing about python i haven't paid any attention to them.  it  
> would
> be good to revist those at some point and (assuming they work well)  
> see if
> the people responsible for them would be interested in taking on some
> ownership of hte code ... but it's too late to worry about that for  
> 1.3.

+1

-Mike
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: solr.py [was: license headers]

Malcolm Upayavira Holmes
On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 11:40 -0700, Mike Klaas wrote:

> On 9-Sep-08, at 6:49 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:
>
> >
> > : I was thinking that we may want to move the python client out of  
> > the distro as
> > : well.  It is untested with 1.3 and unmaintained.
> >
> > +1
> >
> > that seems like the best plan.  I would make a note to that effect  
> > in both
> > a new client/python/README.txt file committed in the trunk, as well  
> > as on
> > the wiki.
>
> I'll do this later today if I don't hear any objections.
>
> > It's probably a worthwhile discussion to have, but i digress.
> >
> > As far as solr.py goes i think it's best to leave it out of 1.3 ... i
> > think there are some patches for it in Jira, i confess that as  
> > someone who
> > knows nothing about python i haven't paid any attention to them.  it  
> > would
> > be good to revist those at some point and (assuming they work well)  
> > see if
> > the people responsible for them would be interested in taking on some
> > ownership of hte code ... but it's too late to worry about that for  
> > 1.3.
>
> +1

Is it something that you'd want to keep if maintained?

How out of date is it? I'm new with solr but have done stacks of python
recently, and if a lightweight knowledge of solr is enough, I'd be
happy to have a stab.

Upayavira

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: solr.py [was: license headers]

Dariusz Suchojad
Upayavira wrote:

>> > As far as solr.py goes i think it's best to leave it out of 1.3 ... i
>> > think there are some patches for it in Jira, i confess that as
>> > someone who
>> > knows nothing about python i haven't paid any attention to them.  it
>> > would
>> > be good to revist those at some point and (assuming they work well)
>> > see if
>> > the people responsible for them would be interested in taking on some
>> > ownership of hte code ... but it's too late to worry about that for
>> > 1.3.
>>
>> +1
>
> Is it something that you'd want to keep if maintained?
>
> How out of date is it? I'm new with solr but have done stacks of python
> recently, and if a lightweight knowledge of solr is enough, I'd be
> happy to have a stab.

Hi Upayavira,

take a look at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-216,
http://code.google.com/p/pysolr/ and http://code.google.com/p/solrpy/ first,
there has already been made much work outside the project.

--
Dariusz Suchojad