lucene / hibernate search in cluster

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

lucene / hibernate search in cluster

no spam-11
We are using hibernate search that is an abstraction on top of lucene.  Has
anyone used this in a clustered environment?  There is built-in JMS ( master
/ slave ) support for this but the assumption is that the slaves get updates
every 30 minutes or more from the master.  Our application requires that all
indexes be up to date within ~5 seconds after metadata changes.  Our index
is not huge, < 500k rows and the amount of index on disk is currently only a
few hundred megs.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: lucene / hibernate search in cluster

Stephane Nicoll
Hi,

There are many more alternatives available to the JMS bridge. There is also
the abilty to do incremental copy of the index over a shared filesystem for
instance. That being said, 5 seconds seems really short to me.

I read all this in "Hibernate Search In Action" but I suppose the online
material has the reference as well.

HTH,
St├ęphane

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 3:00 AM, no spam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We are using hibernate search that is an abstraction on top of lucene.  Has
> anyone used this in a clustered environment?  There is built-in JMS (
> master
> / slave ) support for this but the assumption is that the slaves get
> updates
> every 30 minutes or more from the master.  Our application requires that
> all
> indexes be up to date within ~5 seconds after metadata changes.  Our index
> is not huge, < 500k rows and the amount of index on disk is currently only
> a
> few hundred megs.
>



--
Large Systems Suck: This rule is 100% transitive. If you build one, you
suck" -- S.Yegge
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: lucene / hibernate search in cluster

no spam-11
5 seconds seems short to me also but this is what our client wants and so I
need to get as close to this number as possible :)  It's a system that
records live video 24x7 and up to date information is extremely important.
I have the hibernate search in action book as well.  I didn't see other
alternatives besides writing something custom ( perhaps a directory provider
with jgroups ) that will meet this requirement.

Thanks,
Mark
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: lucene / hibernate search in cluster

Stephane Nicoll
On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 3:33 PM, no spam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 5 seconds seems short to me also but this is what our client wants and so I
> need to get as close to this number as possible :)  It's a system that
> records live video 24x7 and up to date information is extremely important.
> I have the hibernate search in action book as well.  I didn't see other
> alternatives besides writing something custom ( perhaps a directory
> provider
> with jgroups ) that will meet this requirement.


Read Chapter 10 one more time then.

S.


>
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
>



--
Large Systems Suck: This rule is 100% transitive. If you build one, you
suck" -- S.Yegge